Topics

End Fed Wire (Was NorCal Doublet)

Tim N9PUZ

I saw mention of an end fed wire earlier in the discussion. This type of antenna is my 'go to' antenna for portable operation. Whether you want to roll your own or buy one ready made the following is a good site with instructions.

<http://www.earchi.org/92011endfedfiles/Endfed6_40.pdf>;

The Emergency Amateur Radio Club, located in Hawaii, builds and sells these to fund their activities but the above link to the instructions is offered as a free download. If you'd like to build your own all of the needed parts are listed.

The instructions say you can go without a counterpoise as long as you use at least 16-20 feet of coax between your tuner and the 9:1 unun. I find that works fine but tuning on 40 Meters is a little touchy. The tuning seems much easier if I attach an extra piece of counterpoise wire that's only about 2 ft long to the provided connection. I am not an antenna modeler, I just know that in my case it makes it easier to tune.

If you substitute a 70ft wire for the antenna, it tunes 80 Meters nicely but isn't as nice of a portable antenna which is my main use. Other wire lengths that should work are found here:

<http://udel.edu/~mm/ham/randomWire/>;

I use this antenna with my Elecraft KX-1 and my Xiegu X108G 20W SSB rig. I usually support the far end of the wire with a 28-foot long Jackite wind sock pole and slope it down to the UNUN which seems to work best if you keep it a couple of feet off the ground.

Tim N9PUZ

wa2cky

Fantastic information! The links are a very nice information resource.  I'm going outside this afternoon and spend some quality time making a map of my side and back lot and start to figure out how much room, etc I have.

73
Bob Groh, WA2CKY
Blue Springs, MO.

Wayne Dillon

Just to add my $0.02 worth.
I needed a wire to operate 80m so I went with a 124' 6" length fed via a 9:1 unun, works a treat on 80, loads on 160 as well, (as well as all the other bands up to 6m). Starts off at around 10' agl (unun is in the attic) with the far end at around 30'. The unun is at one end of the house, the shack at the other so coax from ASTU to unun is around 80'. Gets ny 5 watts from SE Kansas to NJ. Works for me. My other "go to" antennas are a 66' wire +33' counterpoise and a W3EDP fed with a 4:1 BalUn.
Just a few more ideas to keep the pot boiling.
Blessings all
Wayne - NQ0RP

--

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER.

The Lord bless you and keep you

God Bless from Wayne Dillon - NQ0RP

Joshua 24:14-15
2 Cor 5:17
1 Jn 2:17

Membership Chairman - 4SQRP Group
4SQRP 40m NCS
4SQRP #95
FISTS 17184
FPQRP #342 (Flying Pigs QRP Club)
G-QRP-11504
NAQCC # 0759
QRP-ARCI #11505
SKCC #1155T
SOC #848
30MDG#1176
NEQRP #693
GORC #192
DMC (Digital Modes Club) # 06686
Zombie# 1186

Bry Carling <af4k@...>

You will find that 124.5 foot wire works on ALL HF bands

- if it is anything like the one used by WB4DBO.

(As seen on his QRZ page.)

Mine is 100 feet long with the 9:1 transformer, but also works excellently! I think UNUN is a bit of a misnomer. It;s just a transformer and everything happens to be relatively unbalanced - coax on one side and a single wire on the other side! Yup, it had me confused too!

It's the best all around antenna I ever used in 48 years of hamming. What got my attention was the excellent signal I ALWAYS heard from WB4DBO on it!

73 - Bry AF4K

[...]

www.4sqrp.com
Welcome to the web home of the Four States QRP Group, devoted to low power (QRP) amateur radio building and operation. Club Call Sign WQ5RP