From: 4sqrp@... <4sqrp@...> on behalf of David Martin davemrtn@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...>
Sent: Friday, February 3, 2017 2:14 PM
To: 4sqrp@...
Subject: [4sqrp] Apidistra

Reading "The Secret Wireless War", I see that the Apidistra transmitter was shut down for the final time in September of 1982.

I am very disappointed I was completely unaware of this transmitter at that time, or the part it played during WWII.

While working for Timex Corp., I was in England & Scotland during 1982 and had an extended stay from September to December of 1982.  At the very least, on a weekend I might have been able to drive to the site of that transmitter and seen it "in the flesh" before it was dismantled and sold for scrap.

wa2cky

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 8:43 PM, Bry Carling af4k@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:
Apidistra transmitter

Bry,  Google "Apidistra transmitter"!'  All kinds hits - you'll get all the information you need!  Yeah, I sometimes forget the obvious - i.e. use the web search.

Bob Groh, WA2CKY

David Martin <davemrtn@...>

It is all covered in the book "The Secret Wireless War".

The transmitter site was at Crowborough, England.

As far as what was broadcast from it is supplied in great detail in the book.

On 2/3/2017 20:43, Bry Carling wrote:

I never heard of it. Where in England or Scotland was it exactly? And what was being broadcast on it until 1982?

Reading "The Secret Wireless War", I see that the Apidistra transmitter was shut down for the final time in September of 1982.

I am very disappointed I was completely unaware of this transmitter at that time, or the part it played during WWII.

While working for Timex Corp., I was in England & Scotland during 1982 and had an extended stay from September to December of 1982.� At the very least, on a weekend I might have been able to drive to the site of that transmitter and seen it "in the flesh" before it was dismantled and sold for scrap.

Sam Neal

Hello

" The. Secret. Wireless. War " is one of many excellent books available from.
RSGB on electronic type warfare and it's development on/by both sides.

Sam. Neal. N5AF

It is all covered in the book "The Secret Wireless War".

The transmitter site was at Crowborough, England.

As far as what was broadcast from it is supplied in great detail in the
book.

David Martin - NA1MH - Mountain Home,

--
David Martin - NA1MH - Mountain

Bry Carling <af4k@...>

I found volumes of information about this history on the web also. Very fascinating!

There was a lot they could do to confuse enemies in WW2 using 500 kW American-made transmitters!