Topics

Pixie success

Dennis Schaefer

I bought an assembled Pixie from eBay. It was in a little plastic box and only cost a little over $7.00. The Pixie is definitely a novelty rig, but an actual transceiver for $7.00 with free shipping from China can't be resisted.

I hooked up the antenna and heard lots of signals. It would hear many signals on 7.023 that my big rig wouldn't. I found out the reason was that it was simultaneously receiving on 7.023 and 14.046, with about 3 KHz bandwidth on both frequencies. Lots of very high CW tones!

I put a 40 meter external bandpass filter in the line and was able to have a QSO with WA5BDU, who is about 7 miles away.

I also made a contact with BDU on my Ham-Can. I built this a couple of years ago, but never got it to work. Some careful attention to solder connections finally made it work. I'd like to get a QSO out of the local area, so I'll listen on it and see if I can snag anyone. It is not on 7.122, it's more like 7.118.

Now to get the controls hooked up on the 20 meter One Watter I got from WK8S....

73,
Dennis, W5RZ

Curt

I own several of the Pixie genre including a Tixie, Lil Squall, Sea Squirt, Tiny Tornado, and one of the Chinese clones. They have always interested me from the minimalist aspect. Have made a lot of QSOs with all of them as far as 1000 miles, very few 2xPixie QSOs though.  Never had one receive 20M and 40M at same time.  Would be happy to QSO with you, but none of mine would make 7.118.  If you post on QRPspots when QRV I can call you with the K1.

72, Curt KB5JO

Curt

Will be QRV over next few days with "Sea Squirt" pixie clone near 7.118 with 1/2W. Will post QRPspots when active. Looking for other pixie clone ops.

72, Curt KB5JO

Curt

Just worked KC3RN/QRP on 7.050 with Sea Sprite (Pixie) @ 1/2 W, about 1100 miles.   I answered his CQ.  7.118 has been unfruitful as has been calling CQ with 1/2W.  H&P works better for me.

72, Curt KB5JO

Sam Neal

Hello Curt,

I just got two new QRP(p) rigs. One is a Pixie with the crystal that comes
with it. Later I will switch it out for a 7122 crystal. The other rig is a
Frog Sounds transceiver. I hope it sounds better than a bullfrog! hi.

I am in Cleveland plus about 12 miles East near Romayor and am very active on
QRP/QRPp. We are probably 60 miles apart as the crow flies.

I would like to work you, Pixie to Pixie to get an idea how my rig may sound
on the other end. I haven't hooked either of them up yet but will and also
check the output power on one of my two factory built/calibrated Oak Hills
Research WM-2 QRPp Watt-meters.

I am retired and largely confined to home - so I can meet you on the air
almost any time that is convenient with you.

If this is OK, let me know when would be a good time for you. I still need to
make up a couple of power cords and find a key with a 1/8 inch plug on it.
Also need to confirm output power. I have a J-38 with one but need to uncover
it first.

73,

Sam Neal N5AF

Subject: [4sqrp] Re: Pixie success

Just worked KC3RN/QRP on 7.050 with Sea Sprite (Pixie) @ 1/2 W, about 1100
miles. I answered his CQ. 7.118 has been unfruitful as has been calling CQ
with 1/2W. H&P works better for me.

72, Curt KB5JO

Bry Carling <af4k@...>

Congratulations Curt - that is wonderful!

Mostly congratulations to the other guy for digging you out with only 1/2 watt, hi hi

72 de WN4NRR

Bry

!