QRP & Novice Rig Round Up - It's a Hoot!

Bry Carling <af4k@...>

Thanks Bobby! jump in and join the fun, QRP friends.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bobby Drummond <alphak4ja@...>
Date: February 20, 2017

Just a reminder that the Novice Rig Round Up is in full swing and continues until next weekend - until February 28th at 2359 UTC.

  Here is the URL for the NRR:  www.novicerigroundup.com

There is full information about this year's Novice Rig Round Up (you don't have to be running a Novice license rig to participate) and information about the previous years' NRRs.

There is also a convenient online logging program (or you can choose to submit an ADIF file, for instance, when you finish, etc)

When you finish you can submit something to the "Soapbox" -- including pictures --  if you'd like as well.

This is my first year participating in the NRR and I'm having a ball.  I'm using my homebrew MOPA rig (on 40 meters) that I've mentioned several times on the list and also using a homebrew solid state 80 meter rig.  It's great to exchange NRR numbers and hear some chirps, follow some drifting VFOs and also work some rock steady novice era rigs.   If you really want to take a ride on the way-back machine, work another NRR participant "duplex" for more realistic feelings of how it was back in the novice days.  (Call CQ on your crystal frequency and then tune up and down that section of the band for a response that might be dozens of kilocycles away from your transmitting frequency.)

There is a chat room website for setting up skeds or maybe just for the camaraderie with your fellow Novice rig brothers/sisters of key.

The best part?  it doesn't cost a single dime to participate (even though donations to help offset some of the expenses are appreciated)

Come on, join the fun.  If you've got one, get that old rig outta' the closet and enter the fray.  This Novice Rig Round Up thing is a hoot!

73 de Bobby Drummond - AK4JA

Bob Nelson

Wish I still had my Novice rig.  it was a 6V6 xtal oscillator built
on two strips of 1x2 wood, from an idea in an issue of CQ magazine of
about 1951 or 1952 vintage, IIRC.  But I built it about 1956 - when I was a
bona fide Novice.
The receiver was a Heathkit AR-3 I built in the Fall that year, after
working in an auto-wrecking yard all summer to raise the cash.  I
got 90 cents an hour, and my father took half for "room and board".

I'll never forget the first time I heard my own call sign coming back to
me pursuant to a CQ.  I was KN6ZGQ at that time.  (My present call is a
"used" one I asked to be assigned when the original OM passed away.)

Then the first transistors became available the next year.  I got one,
a CK722 from Raytheon, for $2.40, with a refund of $1.40 because the
price had dropped while my money was in the mail.

That transistor was so fascinating that I became a builder more than
an operator, and have always been that way ever since.  Electronics
became my lifetime profession.  Even got an advanced degree in EE, and
a medal while I was in the military back around 1967 for "solving" a
"electronic intelligence" problem all branches of the military had been
spending MILLIONS of dollars on every year -- a problem most any experienced
radio ham could have handled same as I did.
So I have a whole lot I owe to our "hobby" - perhaps the most useful,
beneficial and valuable hobby anyone could ever engage in.

May the Novice Roundup last forever !

73 - Bob, K6KL

From: Bobby Drummond <alphak4ja@...>
Date: February 20, 2017

[...]

Great story Bob - thanks for sharing your recollections!

We all have some kind of interesting background on how we came into the radio hobby.

I have already worked about 10-12 QRP stations in the NRR this week.

Many QRP guys like the NRR because it is a sensible speed, and not all crazy PLUS the ops listen VERY carefully for weaker signals since most of us are using 25 - 35 watts

Thanks for your comments and your interest - Bry AF4K

http://NoviceRigROundup.com

novicerigroundup.com
ANNOUNCING NOVICE RIG ROUNDUP 2017!!! The dates are 0000 UTC on FEB 18 through 2359 UTC on FEB 26, 2017 - that is 9 full days (UTC.) GOOD NEWS: THIS WILL COVER two ...

From: Bobby Drummond <alphak4ja@...>
Date: February 20, 2017

[...]

Sam Neal

Hello Bob N6KL,

The old 1950's era " slat-board " 6V6 transmitters like the one you described
that I discovered in the 1955 " ARRL How To Become A Radio Amateur " are
available as kits - should you be interested.

Go to:

http://www.nt9k.com/slatboard.html

He has other kits also including the slat-board power supply.

73,

Sam Neal N5AF

NOVICE RIG ROUNDUP 2017<http://novicerigroundup.com/>

________________________________

From: Bobby Drummond <alphak4ja@gmail.com<mailto:alphak4ja@gmail.com>>
Date: February 20, 2017

www.novicerigroundup.com<http://www.novicerigroundup.com/>

[...]

Good info Sam.  Tnx fer passing it along.
I expect those old slat-board designs would still
work just fine.  And for those curious enuff to look into
it, the vacuum tube is a lot easier to grok than the
physics of transistors (altho I don't mean to make it
sound like solid-state physics is impossible to understand).
And there's something comforting about the glow of
those tubes that's mighty attractive to me when operating in the evening.
Especially for tubes with a "top cap" for the plate connection.

I'm in the process of designing a xmitter right now that combines
old (vacuum tube - a 2E26) with something new (a DDS driven
signal source).

Back in the 1950's I was stuck with one xmit frequency (I think it
was 7063), because I only owned one crystal.  For a teenager,
xtal prices were just too high back then.  So I got to understand the
advantages of being able to move around with at least two or three
crystals ready to hand.

73 - Bob, K6KL

From: Bobby Drummond >
Date: February 20, 2017

[...]

Oops.  I think I should have said 7163, NOT 7063.

From: Bobby Drummond <alphak4ja@...>
Date: February 20, 2017

[...]

I worked two more QRP stations in the past 24 hours here in Novice Rig Roundup:

AK4JA  and  AJ4JA

Amazing coincidence. BOTH are QRP stations!!

72 - Bry, WN4NRR

From: Bobby Drummond <alphak4ja@...>
Date: February 20, 2017

[...]

Sam are you SURE he sells these as kits?

I can't find anything on his web pages about how to order a kit.

Some of us would be interested for sure!

Bry, WN4NRR

The old 1950's era " slat-board " 6V6 transmitters like the one you described
that I discovered in the 1955 " ARRL How To Become A Radio Amateur " are
available as kits - should you be interested.

Go to:

http://www.nt9k.com/slatboard.html
www.nt9k.com
This is my 1940's era 6L6G slatboard transmitter and power supply project. The transformer has secondaries at 385v, 6.3v and 5v. The rectifier tube is a 5Y3G.

From: Bobby Drummond >
Date: February 20, 2017

[...]

My mistake - I confused two different kitters. NT9K's projects reflect a lot
of labor into making a beautiful project.

However, I should have sent the following link. I bought one from him ( the
below link ) and it is on my " round-tuit " list.

pastimeprojects.com/transmitterkits.html

Sorry about the mistake. Hang around - I will probably make more with my 75
year old brain! hi

73,

Sam Neal N5AF

[http://www.nt9k.com/image/slatboard9.jpg]<http://www.nt9k.com/slatboard.html>

NT9K Slatboard Transmitter Project<http://www.nt9k.com/slatboard.html>

From: Bobby Drummond <alphak4ja@gmail.com<mailto:alphak4ja@gmail.com>>
Date: February 20, 2017

www.novicerigroundup.com<http://www.novicerigroundup.com/<http://www.novicerigroundup.com<http://www.novicerigroundup.com/>>

[...]

Bry,

Try this link also. You may have to manually type it in.

Sam N5AF
KN5LZJ in 1957

pastimeprojects.com

Johnny AC0BQ

Pretty neat Sam
But also kinda pricey!!
Although, transformers are out of sight in price now days!

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Paul Smith

I am almost tempted to order a slatboard transmitter and pwr supply. I built on in 1990 and made a few contacts on it. it spit fire and cracklerd some but was fun. I saw some pieces in the attic a while back..... It was fun but not near as pretty as the pictures online.

de Paul N0NBD

Sent from Outlook

Although, transformers are out of sight in price now days!
On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 11:26 AM 'Sam Neal' n5af@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Bry,

Try this link also. You may have to manually type it in.

Sam N5AF
KN5LZJ in 1957

pastimeprojects.com

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Bry Carling <af4k@...>

How would yo order it? I see nothing on the web site that lets you order. Also I e-mailed NT9K and got no reply.

Bry WN4NRR

I am almost tempted to order a slatboard transmitter and pwr supply. I built on in 1990 and made a few contacts on it. it spit fire and cracklerd some but was fun. I saw some pieces in the attic a while back..... It was fun but not near as pretty as the pictures online.

de Paul N0NBD

Sent from Outlook

Although, transformers are out of sight in price now days!
On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 11:26 AM 'Sam Neal' n5af@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Bry,

Try this link also. You may have to manually type it in.

Sam N5AF
KN5LZJ in 1957

pastimeprojects.com

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Bry Carling <af4k@...>

Oh now I see the other link - thank you Sam!

Although, transformers are out of sight in price now days!
On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 11:26 AM 'Sam Neal' n5af@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Bry,

Try this link also. You may have to manually type it in.

Sam N5AF
KN5LZJ in 1957

pastimeprojects.com

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Sam Neal

Hello Bry,

In the fifty's, we used to go to the county garbage dump for transformers and
tubes! hi

73,

Sam Neal N5AF

pastimeprojects.com<http://pastimeprojects.com>