Newbie - Looking For Info on 40m QRP CW Transceiver

Joe <n4yg@...>

I received a homebrew QRP CW transceiver as a gift from Gary, N5PHT. I have no information on it, but it is a great design and works great. It was built by WB5MAJ who is now a silent key. I would very much like to obtain a schematic for it and any other information that I can find. The following is information that I obtained from just and inspection of the circuit board and from operating:

40 Meters Only
IF Frequency 4 MHz
Circuit contains a crystal filter made from three 4 MHz crystals
Two additional 4 MHz crystals
Circuit has three SA612 mixer chips
Output power is about 3.5 watts measured
VFO is very stable and uses varactor tuning and runs from about 3 MHz to about 3.150 MHz

The design appears to be very similar to the “Cub” which is sold by MFJ.

I am hoping that someone either has a schematic or article on this little rig.

Joe, N4YG

WA0ITP

If it has lots of parts densely packed on the board, it might be Jim Kortge's well known 2N2/40.
72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.
On 2/22/2017 9:17 PM, 'Joe' n4yg@... [4sqrp] wrote:

[...]

Mike WA8BXN

Didn't the 2N design just use transistors and no ICs?

73/72 - Mike WA8BXN

If it has lots of parts densely packed on the board, it might be Jim Kortge's well known 2N2/40.
72 WAØITP I love this radio stuff. www.wa0itp.com www.4sqrp.com

http://www.wa0itp.com/w8dizcntr2.jpg

WAŘITP Home
www.wa0itp.com
WAØITP's Ham Radio Web Site Devoted to QRP Operating.

On 2/22/2017 9:17 PM, 'Joe' n4yg@n4yg.com [4sqrp] wrote:

[...]

The construction is Manhattan. There is no PC board. I can send a photo of the unit if that would be helpful.

Joe, N4YG

Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 10:04 PM

[...]

Jim Kortge

On 2/22/2017 11:38 PM, 'Joe' n4yg@... [4sqrp] wrote:
The construction is Manhattan. There is no PC board. I can send a photo of the unit if that would be helpful.
�
Joe, N4YG

Sounds like a home brew NorCal SST design to me or maybe something earlier than that by K1BQT.

72,

Jim, K8IQY

WA0ITP

GM Mike,

Yes, except for the mixers.  But now that I think abt it a bit more, the mixers were ADE-1

tnx
72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.

[...]

Jim, N5IB

That rig might be a Manhattan build of the Small Wonder Labs SW-40+ designed by Dave Benson (K1SWL)

Some years back there was an on-line tutorial on the QRP-L on Manhattan constructions where folks built up the rig in stages, I think Jim Kortge and Chuck Adams might have headed it up.

I built mine for 30 meters instead. I'll post a picture - which may or may not look similar - depends on the builder.

If this is indeed the rig, then the schematics are available at an archive site of the Small Wonder Labs documentation at http://smallwonderlabs.qrpradio.org/

Jim, N5IB

Joe <n4yg@...>

Thanks Jim. Very helpful. II t turns out that this one is almost a 40+, but not quite. The block diagram for the two would be identical, but the circuit implementation differs quite a bit. Thanks so much for the response.

Joe, N4YG

Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2017 6:20 PM

That rig might be a Manhattan build of the Small Wonder Labs SW-40+ designed by Dave Benson (K1SWL)

Some years back there was an on-line tutorial on the QRP-L on Manhattan constructions where folks built up the rig in stages, I think Jim Kortge and Chuck Adams might have headed it up.

I built mine for 30 meters instead. I'll post a picture - which may or may not look similar - depends on the builder.

If this is indeed the rig, then the schematics are available at an archive site of the Small Wonder Labs documentation at http://smallwonderlabs.qrpradio.org/

Jim, N5IB

Jim, N5IB

Hi again Joe,

There was an SW-40 before the SW-40+
Written up in Nov 1994 QST
Might be worth comparing.

Another rig of similar architecture is the NorCal 40A
http://www.n5dux.com/ham/files/pdf/NorCal%2040A%20Transceiver%20-%20Manual.pdf

Jim, N5IB

Joe <n4yg@...>

This is the little rig. I designed and built a frequency display for a Heathkit HW-32a single bander several years. I made a new circuit board (very simple)  and made some simple revisions to the PIC 16F88 firmware and it works very will with this rig. If anyone else is interested, I can provide programmed chips and detalis and you can have one for only a few bucks.

Joe, N4YG

Sent: Friday, February 24, 2017 7:49 AM

Hi again Joe,

There was an SW-40 before the SW-40+
Written up in Nov 1994 QST
Might be worth comparing.

Another rig of similar architecture is the NorCal 40A
http://www.n5dux.com/ham/files/pdf/NorCal%2040A%20Transceiver%20-%20Manual.pdf

Jim, N5IB

John Lonigro

Joe:

If you are going to Ozarkcon, I've got 3 16F88 PICs that are brand new, which I will never use.  You are welcome to them, if you want them.

If Joe is NOT going to Ozarkcon or doesn't want them, I can bring them with me to Ozarkcon for anyone who wants them.

As you might gather, my goal here is NOT to spend money on postage just to get rid of these chips.  I haven't checked the price of them lately, but I suspect they cost less than what shipping would be.

Anyway, if anyone expresses interest in them, I'll bring them along with me to Ozarkcon.  Otherwise, I'll leave them at home.

72,

John, AA0VE

Sent: Friday, February 24, 2017 7:49 AM

Hi again Joe,

There was an SW-40 before the SW-40+
Written up in Nov 1994 QST
Might be worth comparing.

Another rig of similar architecture is the NorCal 40A
http://www.n5dux.com/ham/files/pdf/NorCal%2040A%20Transceiver%20-%20Manual.pdf

Jim, N5IB

keith ford

That is a nice looking piece of gear!  I was also interested in pics, but the initial cash outlay was not in the hobby budget.

Sent: Friday, February 24, 2017 7:49 AM

Hi again Joe,

There was an SW-40 before the SW-40+
Written up in Nov 1994 QST
Might be worth comparing.

Another rig of similar architecture is the NorCal 40A
http://www.n5dux.com/ham/files/pdf/NorCal%2040A%20Transceiver%20-%20Manual.pdf

Jim, N5IB

Wayne Dillon

John,
If there is no interest then I would gladly offer the cost of shipping them. Your call, es thanks.
72/3 es God Bless de Wayne - NQ0RP

Sent: Friday, February 24, 2017 7:49 AM

--

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER.