Digest Number 1704

Don Wilhelm

Ed,

If you want to obtain a panadapter display from the KX3 RX IQ output of the KX3, get a soundcard that is capable of at least 96K bandwidth, 192k is better. Yes, the input must be stereo for RX IQ to work.

At 192kHz, there will be some falloff at the edges, but that is normal for the KX3. Note that the PX3 compensates for that falloff.

A low noise soundcard is important. Look at the soundcard information on www.telepostinc.com for comparisons.

73,
Don W3FPR

wg5f
<mailto:wg5f@arrl.net?subject=Re%3A%20KX3%20%26%20USB%20sound%20cards>

Let me say that I've seen this discussed on the KX3 group and no one
seems to have a answer that holds water. Maybe the guys asking the
questions just didn't make it clear (to what I'm looking for...)
I've had my KX3 since the first batches that came out. I keep learning
new things about it but one thing that has had me stumped is how it will
work when connected to a STEREO input on my Laptop for Panadapter display.
All my computers have MONO mic inputs. They don't have a LINE IN. So i
can't take advantage of the RX I/Q connections. I'd love to get one of
those $6 USB external sound cards, but none of them seem to have STEREO
mic inputs. I really hate to buy a big external BOX type external sound
card, that adds bulk to my KX3 go bag. I'd also not like to pay $30,
$60, $100 bucks for it either.
What practical experience do any of you 4SQRP'rs have with the USB
external sounds cards with STEREO mic inputs? And more importantly your
experience with the KX3 using the RX I/Q lines with programs such as
va2fsq's WIN4K3Suite? Any solid recommendations or warnings? I've been
piddling with this for 2 years and I'm ready to get over this hurdle.
Again - this is not for just digital mode operating. I'm not talking
about running FLDigi, or other such programs. I know that I don't need a
stereo input for that (and it's not hooked to the RX I/Q lines.) I want
to play with the SDR capabilities of the KX3 and interface it more
integrally while portable.
Any help?
72,
-Ed, WG5F-

Ed Meyer, WG5F

Hi Don - Yes I've looked at the soundcard data on telepostinc but I think it must be out of date.  Several of the USB devices he has listed seem to NOT have STEREO inputs.

Thus my dilemma.

I see people who are doing exactly what I want to do say to use a $6 Sabrent device, but the specs on those all say MONO mic input.

Again - delimma.

Thanks & 73,

-Ed, WG5F-

Bry Carling <af4k@...>

Why can;t you use the LINE INPUT on those sound adapters which is STEREO?

It seems to me like it would work just fine.

Bry, AF4K

If you want to obtain a panadapter display from the KX3 RX IQ output of
the KX3, get a soundcard that is capable of at least 96K bandwidth, 192k
is better.  Yes, the input must be stereo for RX IQ to work.

At 192kHz, there will be some falloff at the edges, but that is normal
for the KX3.  Note that the PX3 compensates for that falloff.

A low noise soundcard is important.  Look at the soundcard information
on www.telepostinc.com for comparisons.
www.telepostinc.com
TelePost Inc. 49100 Pine Hill Dr., Plymouth, MI 48170 734.455.3716 email Manufacturers of high quality RF test equipment for lab, industrial and Amateur Radio users.

73,
Don W3FPR

>       wg5f
>       <mailto:wg5f@...?subject=Re%3A%20KX3%20%26%20USB%20sound%20cards>
>

> Let me say that I've seen this discussed on the KX3 group and no one
> seems to have a answer that holds water. Maybe the guys asking the
> questions just didn't make it clear (to what I'm looking for...)
> I've had my KX3 since the first batches that came out. I keep learning
> new things about it but one thing that has had me stumped is how it will
> work when connected to a STEREO input on my Laptop for Panadapter display.
> All my computers have MONO mic inputs. They don't have a LINE IN. So i
> can't take advantage of the RX I/Q connections. I'd love to get one of
> those $6 USB external sound cards, but none of them seem to have STEREO
> mic inputs. I really hate to buy a big external BOX type external sound
> card, that adds bulk to my KX3 go bag. I'd also not like to pay $30,
> $60, $100 bucks for it either.
> What practical experience do any of you 4SQRP'rs have with the USB
> external sounds cards with STEREO mic inputs? And more importantly your
> experience with the KX3 using the RX I/Q lines with programs such as
> va2fsq's WIN4K3Suite? Any solid recommendations or warnings? I've been
> piddling with this for 2 years and I'm ready to get over this hurdle.
> Again - this is not for just digital mode operating. I'm not talking
> about running FLDigi, or other such programs. I know that I don't need a
> stereo input for that (and it's not hooked to the RX I/Q lines.) I want
> to play with the SDR capabilities of the KX3 and interface it more
> integrally while portable.
> Any help?
> 72,
> -Ed, WG5F-

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

4SQRP Website: http://4sqrp.com
Plan to attend OzarkCon on - April 1-2, 2016

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    4sqrp-digest@...
    4sqrp-fullfeatured@...

Wayne Dillon

Problem is Bry, many laptops do not have a line input, just Mic in and Speaker out.
Be blessed,
Wayne - NQ0RP

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

4SQRP Website: http://4sqrp.com
Plan to attend OzarkCon on - April 1-2, 2016

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    4sqrp-digest@...
    4sqrp-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER.

The Lord bless you and keep you

God Bless from Wayne Dillon - NQ0RP

Joshua 24:14-15
2 Cor 5:17
1 Jn 2:17

NAQCC MWN NCS
NAQCC Net manager
NAQCC # 0759
Membership Chairman - 4SQRP Group
4SQRP 40m NCS
4SQRP #95
FISTS 17184
FPQRP #342 (Flying Pigs QRP Club)
G-QRP-11504
QRP-ARCI #11505
SKCC #1155T
SOC #848
30MDG#1176
NEQRP #693
GORC #192
DMC (Digital Modes Club) # 06686
Zombie# 1186

Marty Lifgren

Bought this on Amazon, external sound card with Line In.

------------------------------ ------

------------------------------ ------

View Details at http://www.ozarkcon.com/index. php

    https://info.yahoo.com/legal/ us/yahoo/utos/terms/

------------------------------ ------

------------------------------ ------

[...]

Bob Nelson

OK, a pretty box. But I don't understand why you provided this link,
with absolutely no explanation.
What am I supposed to be able to do with it ?

73 - Bob, K6KL

PS - I must confess - In general, I HATE email that provides nothing but a
link, with no supporting text that provides some kind of clue as to why
its significant.

[...]

Explanation was in other email where I forgot the link.  It is an external sound card with Line In.

[...]

Thanks Marty.

73 - Bob, K6KL