Exact Bayou Jumper Crystal Frequency?

Sam Neal

Hello,

I realize there will be some variations - but what frequency are y'all showing
for the color-burst xtals in the Crickets - so I can listen for Crickets in my
shack.

Sam Neal N5AF
Celebrating 60 Years In Amateur Radio

WA0ITP

3580 is close enough Sam I'm having almost nightly QSOs, so pse jump in if you hear me.
72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.
On 4/27/2017 8:49 PM, 'Sam Neal' n5af@... [4sqrp] wrote:

Hello,

I realize there will be some variations - but what frequency are y'all showing
for the color-burst xtals in the Crickets - so I can listen for Crickets in my
shack.

Sam Neal N5AF
Celebrating 60 Years In Amateur Radio

dekle <dekle@...>

3579.855 kHz

Bill
KV6Z

I realize there will be some variations - but what frequency are y'all showing
for the color-burst xtals in the Crickets - so I can listen for Crickets in my
shack.

Sam Neal N5AF
Celebrating 60 Years In Amateur Radio

Mike Malone

I just love how much fun is being had with a $30 radio.  I am mailing a money order tomorrow.  Funny... the balun kit from Amidon that I will use with the W3EDP I am building costs $3 more than the rig... but I have wanted a copy of the book that comes with it for a while.

Mike KD5KXF

On Thursday, April 27, 2017, 'dekle' dekle@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

3579.855 kHz

Bill
KV6Z

I realize there will be some variations - but what frequency are y'all showing
for the color-burst xtals in the Crickets - so I can listen for Crickets in my
shack.

Sam Neal N5AF
Celebrating 60 Years In Amateur Radio

wa2cky

A friend of mine has suggested that we Cricket'ers consider adding another frequency, to be specific 3560 kHz.  Crystals seem to be readily available and inexpensive.  Thoughts?

73
Bob Groh, WA2CKY

From: John Klingelhoeffer <wb4lnm@...>
Date: Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 11:13 AM
To: Bob Groh <bob.groh@...>

[...]

Dale Putnam

If you put 'em on 3560.. then you can play in the FOXHUNTS on Thurs evenings local time, during the winter season...

Just a thought..   for more fun!!

Have a great day,
--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

"Actions speak louder than words"
1856 - Abraham Lincoln

[...]

Johnny AC0BQ

Hello Dale
Yes we could, but what a ear buster listening to 25 hounds at the same time!!
72
Johnny

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Tom Sevart

On 04/28/17 12:40, Bob Groh bob.groh@... [4sqrp] wrote:

A friend of mine has suggested that we Cricket'ers consider adding
another frequency, to be specific 3560 kHz. Crystals seem to be readily
available and inexpensive. Thoughts?
I haven't started building mine yet, but I plan to put a couple of crystal holder pins where the crystal goes so I can easily change crystals as needed. Do you have a source for 3560 crystals?

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

wa2cky

Johnny, there is a link buried in the email that I sent but here is just the link:
----------

Here is the link to those 3.560 crystals, 10 for $10.49 on Ebay:

------

Hope the link makes it through the email system!

73
Bob, WA2CKY

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Curt

But we can't be the colorburst army unless we are on 3.579... :-)  Just like can't be (40M) spies unless on 7.121.

71 Curt KB5JO

Paul Bonham

Bob,

Count me in. Just let me know how much and how to send you the money.

Thank you,
Paul Bonham - KG5NKW
8408 Spectrum Drive
McKinney, Texas  75070

Jim Sheldon

There's one major problem with staying on 3579 - it's called PSK.  The PSK people are not listening to their frequency before transmitting (many don't recognize CW signals on their "Waterfall display) and they jump right on top of pretty much any non-PSK signal anywhere near there.  3560 is more like the QRP watering hole on 80 anyway and the 3560 crystals will probably come out near there, like maybe 3559+ so that would be much more practical if you actually want to use the Cricket to communicate, not just call unanswered CQ's until you accidentally get lucky.  Terry WA0ITP has been lucky as have several others but that ain't gonna last.  The more and more PSK signals that crop up on 80 and those using the "Warbler" style crystal controlled rigs (all use color burst crystals) will eventually cause problems and the "Cricketeers" will get discouraged and either put them on a back shelf to gather dust or sell them and create more frustrated Cricket owners.  It will be a never ending battle for sure.  Just my opinion, but I've already ordered some 3560 crystals for my Cricket (and for several local friends) when it gets here.

Jim - W0Eb

But we can't be the colorburst army unless we are on 3.579... :-)  Just like can't be (40M) spies unless on 7.121.

71 Curt KB5JO

Tom Sevart

I salvaged some crystal sockets from an old crystal scanner to use on my cricket, however they didn't seem to work all that well at holding the small leads of the supplied crystal. I removed them and used part of an IC socket which worked much better. Part of a SIP socket could work, too.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Jim Sheldon

Good idea. Those scanner crystal sockets were designed for the large (16 gauge) crystal pins, not the fine wire of those HC-49 miniature ones. Old "machined pin" IC socket pins would be great. That's what I plan to use once my Cricket gets here.

Jim

On Apr 29, 2017, at 5:59 PM, Tom Sevart tmsevart@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

I salvaged some crystal sockets from an old crystal scanner to use on my
cricket, however they didn't seem to work all that well at holding the
small leads of the supplied crystal. I removed them and used part of an
IC socket which worked much better. Part of a SIP socket could work, too.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

---

------------------------------------
Posted by: Tom Sevart <tmsevart@...>
------------------------------------

4SQRP Website: http://4sqrp.com
Plan to attend OzarkCon on - April 6-7, 2018
------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Doug Hendricks <ki6ds1@...>

I suggest that you not use the machine pin socket. Use an ic socket that you cut down. Use the ones with wipers.

On Apr 29, 2017 4:04 PM, "Jim Sheldon w0eb@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Good idea. Those scanner crystal sockets were designed for the large (16 gauge) crystal pins, not the fine wire of those HC-49 miniature ones. Old "machined pin" IC socket pins would be great. That's what I plan to use once my Cricket gets here.

Jim

> On Apr 29, 2017, at 5:59 PM, Tom Sevart tmsevart@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:
>
> I salvaged some crystal sockets from an old crystal scanner to use on my
> cricket, however they didn't seem to work all that well at holding the
> small leads of the supplied crystal. I removed them and used part of an
> IC socket which worked much better. Part of a SIP socket could work, too.
>
> --
> Tom Sevart N2UHC
> St. Paul, KS
>
> ---
>

> ------------------------------------

> Posted by: Tom Sevart <tmsevart@...>
> ------------------------------------

> 4SQRP Website: http://4sqrp.com
> Plan to attend OzarkCon on - April 6-7, 2018
> View Details at http://www.ozarkcon.com/index.php
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links

Sean Edwards

I just did this, and it worked!

Thanks Doug!

A 14 pin IC socket can create 4 crystal sockets:

1.) From each row of 7, remove pins 2, 4 and 6, extract with needle nose pliers or simply cut off..
2.) Cut IC socket on each side where pin 4 use to be, creating 2 pieces
3.) Remove remaining cross connectors from each half, creating 4 pieces
4.) Solder one piece in place where crystal should go
5.) Insert desired crystal into the socket you just created and installed
6.) Use remaining sockets in other projects, or send to 3 ham friends

-= Sean Edwards =-
AD0QG