Kit Idea

Sean Edwards

At Ozarkcon, Tommy Henderson WD5AGO, ended his informative and entertaining presentation with the announcement of a 17 meter kit. Then after Dave Cripe's NM0S new kit show and tell, he asked for ideas. I have finally thought about it.

For quite some time, I have been looking for a three band kit, specifically for the WARC bands of 30, 17 and 12 meters. I am aware of Weber's Tri Bander kit, but that can only go to 15m, not 12m.

So that is my suggestion, a kit to cover the 3 WARC bands.

-= Sean Edwards =-
AD0QG

Walter - K5EST

Nice idea and it is in the notes with your name as credit!

Thank you, Sean, no promises but the idea will be discussed.

72....Walter . K5EST

On Tuesday, May 2, 2017, Sean Edwards cybersean3000@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

At Ozarkcon, Tommy Henderson WD5AGO, ended his informative and entertaining presentation with the announcement of a 17 meter kit. Then after Dave Cripe's NM0S new kit show and tell, he asked for ideas. I have finally thought about it.

For quite some time, I have been looking for a three band kit, specifically for the WARC bands of 30, 17 and 12 meters. I am aware of Weber's Tri Bander kit, but that can only go to 15m, not 12m.

So that is my suggestion, a kit to cover the 3 WARC bands.

-= Sean Edwards =-
AD0QG

marjannorm

Hi Sean,
Good points you make. I wonder if anyone has thought of re-designing the old Heathkit HW-7 or HW-8? They were hugely popular back in the day, simple, cw only and built like a brick outhouse. Modern components would make it a winner!
Norm vk5gi
South Australia

Sent from my iPad

Charles W. Powell

I’m in!

Charles - NK8O

On May 2, 2017, at 9:30 PM, Norm Lee marjannorm@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Hi Sean,
Good points you make. I wonder if anyone has thought of re-designing the old Heathkit HW-7 or HW-8? They were hugely popular back in the day, simple, cw only and built like a brick outhouse. Modern components would make it a winner!
Norm vk5gi
South Australia

Sent from my iPad

Sean Edwards

Interesting.  I found a HW-7 manual, with a parts list, schematic, and PCB lay out: < http://www.vintage-radio.info/heathkit >

-= Sean Edwards =-
AD0QG

On May 2, 2017, at 9:30 PM, "Norm Lee marjannorm@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Hi Sean,
Good points you make. I wonder if anyone has thought of re-designing the old Heathkit HW-7 or HW-8? They were hugely popular back in the day, simple, cw only and built like a brick outhouse. Modern components would make it a winner!
Norm vk5gi
South Australia

Sent from my iPad

wa2cky

Just a bit of caveat: the rights to many of the Heathkit's are still in force and, while I certainly imagine you can follow the general outlines of the HW-7 et al, you certainly don't want to get too close!  And frankly no reason to.

73
Bob Groh, WA2CKY

Sean Edwards

I do realize this information is protected property.  I do not want to rip off the design, just use it as a reference.  The HW-7 used 40, 20 and 15 meters and what I am suggesting is a kit for 30, 17 and 12 meters so it wouldn't be practical to copy it.

-= Sean Edwards =-
AD0QG

On May 3, 2017 1:37 PM, "bob.groh@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Just a bit of caveat: the rights to many of the Heathkit's are still in force and, while I certainly imagine you can follow the general outlines of the HW-7 et al, you certainly don't want to get too close!  And frankly no reason to.

73
Bob Groh, WA2CKY

Sean Edwards

This the second time on this list that I have been accused of something nefarious.

I should keep my mouth closed and my ideas to myself.

-= Sean Edwards =-
AD0QG

On May 3, 2017 1:37 PM, "bob.groh@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Just a bit of caveat: the rights to many of the Heathkit's are still in force and, while I certainly imagine you can follow the general outlines of the HW-7 et al, you certainly don't want to get too close!  And frankly no reason to.

73
Bob Groh, WA2CKY

Don Jackson

Sean and the "reflector police",

Maybe I can interject a few thoughts here, at the risk that I, myself might be flamed which should not take place on this list or in this group.

There are two* ways to protect something: (1) Patent, and (2) Copyright.  While the usual caveat "I am not a lawyer" applies here, let's look at each.  For the HW-7, I doubt very much that Heathkit had any kind of patent on it or for it.  That leaves copyright. One cannot copyright a circuit diagram to the extent to prevent someone else from redrawing it.  One just cannot reproduce an exact  copy of the original diagram by publishing it on a web page or using a copier or other printing means.  One cannot copyright an idea either, or a method of doing things (like I saw some time ago about how to make an enclosure with PCB material).

If I show my latest wiz-bang SDR receiver on my web page, it becomes copyrighted by the mere act of publication -- in fact even a copyright notice is not required (any more).  The value of a copyright notice, besides trying to keep someone out of trouble, is only in court in which one may be able to collect more in damages.  That certainly does not prevent some publication or individual from redrawing the schematic diagram and publishing.  Ignore the fact that it may be unethical without attribution and just plain "not nice".  And since I wouldn't have a patent on my wiz-bang "invention", it does not prevent someone from building it or improving upon it.

Common fair play and courtesy says you don't claim originality.  Certainly, taking the design of the HW7 and making original design PCBs and kitting it up does neither violate patent nor copyright, assuming a new schematic is drawn and a patent does not exist (and I do not see how one could be granted since there is nothing that is a new idea and patentable with the HW7 -- it contains rather mundane current practice in design).

All that being said, the subject of the PSK31 Warbler came up recently -- and if the reflector police had done a little homework, they would have seen there is nothing stopping 4SQRP or any one else from resurrecting it.  The author even gives his blessing to anyone who wants to do so (on his web page).  Personally, I'd love to see 4SQRP make an improved re-do of the Warbler(s) and kit it.  It would fulfill a great need of a very simple entry-level low powered PSK31 transceiver...now as well as it did originally years ago.

As far as I know, plagiarism is not a crime anywhere.  It probably approaches that mostly in academic circles.  For example, if you were designing a power supply with a diode bridge rectifier, would you have any trouble drawing that in your schematic?  Someone probably had a "copyright" on it waaaay back in time!  In fact, even with attribution, it would make things quite awkward if, when drawing a transceiver circuit, you had to attribute each micro part of the design to the original "inventor", wouldn't it?

I thank Sean and others for making suggestions for further kits in the 4sqrp group's portfolio.

One OF's opinion,

Don AE5K

* - there are actually at least 3 ways to protect something -- the one I have left out is to just keep the "invention" secret.

On 05/03/2017 02:13 PM, Sean Edwards cybersean3000@... [4sqrp] wrote:
This the second time on this list that I have been accused of something nefarious.

I should keep my mouth closed and my ideas to myself.

-= Sean Edwards =-
AD0QG

On May 3, 2017 1:37 PM, "bob.groh@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Just a bit of caveat: the rights to many of the Heathkit's are still in force and, while I certainly imagine you can follow the general outlines of the HW-7 et al, you certainly don't want to get too close!  And frankly no reason to.

73
Bob Groh, WA2CKY

w2sh@...

The HW-7 was the first of the three QRP transceivers that Heathkit produced.  It was poorly engineered and I would not recommend its design for copying.

The HW-9 was the third such transceiver and it was in certain ways over-engineered.  But it also did not have an rf stage for the receive section.

As for the Heathkit HW-8, though not a classic superhet, it has an rf stage and is certainly the best of the three.  Looking ahead, just go for the HW-8.

72,

Charles, W2SH