Cricket Chirps but...

Dave Belville

Well, I received my Cricket and carefully assembled it. I will say that they did a great job on this kit. The board is perfect and everything looks great. Anyway, I put a new battery in it, hooked up an antenna and ear buds. Yep, there is sound....but it is a BCB station from Mexico (I think - the broadcast is in Spanish) and it is so loud, I can't hear anything else. I waited until late last night and tried but there were more BCB stations heard. It is totally useless as it is unless I want to listen to a Spanish BCB station. They sound great. Any thoughts or suggestions? Anyone else have issues like this?

I think it transmits fine. My tuner shows power out and I can hear it on another receiver.

Thank you,

Dave, KD9VT

Silvis, IL

David Wilcox

I had the same problem using my straight through G5RV and end fed whar with a unon, but when I passed it through my MFJ 969 tuner it filtered out the BCB signal.  Mine is on 1310 KHz and is only two miles away.  You might have to use some kind of tuner or filter.

Dave K8WPE

On May 9, 2017, at 9:00 AM, davebelville@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Well, I received my Cricket and carefully assembled it. I will say that they did a great job on this kit. The board is perfect and everything looks great. Anyway, I put a new battery in it, hooked up an antenna and ear buds. Yep, there is sound....but it is a BCB station from Mexico (I think - the broadcast is in Spanish) and it is so loud, I can't hear anything else. I waited until late last night and tried but there were more BCB stations heard. It is totally useless as it is unless I want to listen to a Spanish BCB station. They sound great. Any thoughts or suggestions? Anyone else have issues like this?

I think it transmits fine. My tuner shows power out and I can hear it on another receiver.

Thank you,

Dave, KD9VT

Silvis, IL

Dave Belville

Thanks for the info David. I am using a G5RV with it also but am using it with a LDG AT200ProII tuner. Maybe I will try a different tuner. I have an Elecraft T1 I can try. I can also try it with my end fed wahr and unun.
Thanks again for the information. I really want to make the little critter work.

73 Dave, KD9VT

Jim, N5IB

I've encountered similar problems with BCB interference. Often the type of antenna tuner used will make the difference. Many autotuners are L-network configurations, with shunt capacitive elements, making them inherently low-pass networks. I believe the T1 is this configuration, but don't have a schematic of the AT200Pro. (have the tuner, but they don't publish the sch in the manual)

In one particularly troublesome case, using the rig's internal L-network autotuner left it susceptible to BCB interference, but bypassing the internal tuner and using an external T-match tuner took care of the problem.

The T-match, with its shunt inductive element, is inherently high-pass, and can provide at least some degree of attenuation of BCB signals, often enough to prevent the overload. The MFJ-969 is of this type.

The downside, of course, is that a high-pass type tuner does not help suppress harmonics from the Tx.
But if the Tx was clean to begin with - no harm, no foul.

Your other option, of course, is to build a simple high pass filter with a cutoff a bit above 3 MHz. I'd put it in line between the Cricket and the tuner, so it can see a nice, friendly, 50 ohm environment.

N5IB