A new Cricket comes to life

Charles W. Powell

Preliminary tests show that my cricket, now assembled and ready to go on the air, is working as advertised. One thing (a question): despite having a nice, steady note on transmit, it is typical for the sidetone to chirp like a poorly regulated, underpowered tube type transmitter oscillator? Perhaps the genesis of “Cricket.?” Well, whoop-whoop, I will try it on the air soon enough.

Charles - NK8O

dekle <dekle@...>

Try cleaning the key contacts.

Bill
KV6Z

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 3:02 PM
Subject: [4sqrp] A new Cricket comes to life

Preliminary tests show that my cricket, now assembled and ready to go on the air, is working as advertised. One thing (a question): despite having a nice, steady note on transmit, it is typical for the sidetone to chirp like a poorly regulated, underpowered tube type transmitter oscillator? Perhaps the genesis of “Cricket.?” Well, whoop-whoop, I will try it on the air soon enough.

Charles - NK8O

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Jim Sheldon

Make sure you're transmitting into a low SWR too, that sometimes will cause the ST to go berserk.

Jim, W0EB

On Jun 7, 2017, at 3:55 PM, 'dekle' dekle@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Bill
KV6Z

Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 3:02 PM
Subject: [4sqrp] A new Cricket comes to life

Charles - NK8O

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Charles W. Powell

I’m pretty sure the contacts are clean.  Might be a voltage issue with the 9V battery too - I had to liberate it from another device.  SWR shouldn’t be a problem into a 50 ohm dummy load.

Charles NK8O

On Jun 7, 2017, at 4:29 PM, Jim Sheldon w0eb@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Make sure you're transmitting into a low SWR too, that sometimes will cause the ST to go berserk.

Jim, W0EB

On Jun 7, 2017, at 3:55 PM, 'dekle' dekle@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Bill
KV6Z

Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 3:02 PM
Subject: [4sqrp] A new Cricket comes to life

Charles - NK8O

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Tom Sevart

On 06/07/17 16:51, Charles Powell doctorcwp@yahoo.com [4sqrp] wrote:

What I did was flatten out the head of the knob/contact screw with my Dremel tool so that it made a bit flatter connection to the PC board and now doesn't chirp as much.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Charles W. Powell

In experimenting with my Cricket, I found that the sidetone chirp is highly dependent on the impedance of the headphones.  With one pair I got wide whoop, with another there was no sidetone at all, and with a pair of earbuds, there was only a tiny variation in the sidetone pitch.  

No takers yet with an extended CQ, but I did monitor with my KX3 (antenna disconnected) and the Cricket puts out a very clean, stable note. 

Charles NK8O

On Jun 7, 2017, at 4:51 PM, Charles Powell <doctorcwp@...> wrote:

I’m pretty sure the contacts are clean.  Might be a voltage issue with the 9V battery too - I had to liberate it from another device.  SWR shouldn’t be a problem into a 50 ohm dummy load.

Charles NK8O

On Jun 7, 2017, at 4:29 PM, Jim Sheldon w0eb@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Jim, W0EB

On Jun 7, 2017, at 3:55 PM, 'dekle' dekle@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Bill
KV6Z

Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 3:02 PM
Subject: [4sqrp] A new Cricket comes to life

Charles - NK8O

Virus-free. www.avast.com