"Jayhawker" first QSO

Jim Sheldon

Well, the "Jayhawker" (SS40 twins packaged similar to a Bayou Jumper and
the VXO replaced with a cheap Chinese $35 DDS VFO) is finally
operational and had it's first contact this morning with Don, WB6BEE on
7.025MHz at 12:54 UTC. Antenna was a PAR EndFedZ 40-20-10 meter antenna
up maybe 20 feet at it's highest point. I was also copied by W6QR in
Torrance, CA but I'd already signed and didn't work him. Heard him
talking to WB6BEE about my signal being 559 in Torrance though before I
pulled the antenna (thunderstorms in the area again).

Jim - W0EB

WA0ITP

GM Jim,

Great job! I also bolted the pair together and made 20+ contacts.  It makes a very nice combo.  Your packaging looks great and the dds VFO is just what it needs. Care to share any info on the dds vfo? Tnx for sharing your work.

72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.
On 6/27/2017 9:00 AM, 'Jim Sheldon' w0eb@... [4sqrp] wrote:

Well, the "Jayhawker" (SS40 twins packaged similar to a Bayou Jumper and the VXO replaced with a cheap Chinese $35 DDS VFO) is finally operational and had it's first contact this morning with Don, WB6BEE on 7.025MHz at 12:54 UTC.  Antenna was a PAR EndFedZ 40-20-10 meter antenna up maybe 20 feet at it's highest point.  I was also copied by W6QR in Torrance, CA but I'd already signed and didn't work him.  Heard him talking to WB6BEE about my signal being 559 in Torrance though before I pulled the antenna (thunderstorms in the area again).

Jim - W0EB

You really need a chicken head knob on that thing.

Then you could have a Chickenhawker!

Nice work.

72, Nate

Jim Sheldon

Now that's a great idea! I DO have an extra "chickenhead" knob I could put on the volume control. I'd have to make a new panel label, but that would be easy. I can't remember the name of the chicken hawk character that used to try and catch "Foghorn Leghorn" in the cartoons but I'm sure I could find his name and image on the internet - LOL!

Jim

Jim

On Jun 29, 2017, at 4:35 PM, Nate Bargmann n0nb@n0nb.us [4sqrp] <4sqrp@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

You really need a chicken head knob on that thing.

Then you could have a Chickenhawker!

Nice work.

72, Nate

------------------------------------
Posted by: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us>
------------------------------------

4SQRP Website: http://4sqrp.com
Plan to attend OzarkCon on - April 6-7, 2018
------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Johnny AC0BQ

Chicken Hawker!!
I like that!!
72
Johnhy AC0BQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Jim Sheldon

The little chickenhawk's name is Henery Hawk and I've found a whole bunch of images of him.  The label is about to be constructed.  Thanks Nate, for that terrific, hilarious idea.  The "Jayhawker" Paraset is about to be officially renamed and become the "Chickenhawker"!

Jim, W0EB

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Bob Macklin <macklinbob@...>

The rooster is "Foghorn Leghorn:

The chicken hawk is "Henry Hawk":

Bob Macklin
K5MYJ
Seattle, Wa.
"Real Radios Glow In The Dark"

Now that's a great idea! I DO have an extra "chickenhead" knob I could put on the volume control. I'd have to make a new panel label, but that would be easy. I can't remember the name of the chicken hawk character that used to try and catch "Foghorn Leghorn" in the cartoons but I'm sure I could find his name and image on the internet - LOL!

Jim

Jim

> On Jun 29, 2017, at 4:35 PM, Nate Bargmann n0nb@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:
>
> You really need a chicken head knob on that thing.
>

> Then you could have a Chickenhawker!
>

> Nice work.
>
> 72, Nate
>
> --
>
> "The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all
> possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true."
>
> Ham radio, Linux, bikes, and more: http://www.n0nb.us
>

> ------------------------------------
> Posted by: Nate Bargmann
> ------------------------------------
>
> 4SQRP Website: http://4sqrp.com
> Plan to attend OzarkCon on - April 6-7, 2018
> View Details at http://www.ozarkcon.com/index.php
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links

Jim Sheldon

Well guys, the "Jayhawker" has now officially been re-christened the "Chickenhawker" Paraset.  Thanks again Nate for the super idea.  I wish I'd have thought of that one in the first place as I never went to KU and felt a little guilty using even a truncated version of their logo.  This one is much better and making the new label was a breeze.  All I had to do is swap out the picture and re-do the identifying text.  Oh and I DID put a chickenhead knob on the volume control to make it official.

Here's a picture of the newly renamed "Chickenhawker" Paraset Serial# 001.

Jim, W0EB

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Johnny AC0BQ

Jim,
Your almost having too much fun!!
Very nice work, as always.
72
Johnny

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com
Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

* On 2017 29 Jun 21:57 -0500, 'Jim Sheldon' w0eb@cox.net [4sqrp] wrote:
Well guys, the "Jayhawker" has now officially been re-christened the
"Chickenhawker" Paraset. Thanks again Nate for the super idea. I wish I'd
have thought of that one in the first place as I never went to KU and felt a
little guilty using even a truncated version of their logo. This one is
much better and making the new label was a breeze. All I had to do is swap
out the picture and re-do the identifying text. Oh and I DID put a
chickenhead knob on the volume control to make it official.

Here's a picture of the newly renamed "Chickenhawker" Paraset Serial#
001.
Nicely done, Jim.

:-D

72, Nate

Curt

Wish could see a picture of the Chickenhawker.  72, Curt KB5JO

* On 2017 30 Jun 05:11 -0500, rhulett1@consolidated.net [4sqrp] wrote:
Wish could see a picture of the Chickenhawker. 72, Curt KB5JO
It's in this thread as an attachment to one of Jim's emails.

72, Nate

WA0ITP

Awesome work Jim, congrats.
72 WAØITP