Topics

SMD soldering aids for small boards

Jim Sheldon

Having bought the EZ Keyer IIi SMD kit and also gotten several other
boards with SMD's on them I found that with my fat fingers, I needed a
way to keep the parts from bouncing off the board during construction &
especially something to keep them in place during soldering. In
commercial SMD board population, this is all done by precision machines
and, of course, those machines and the programming necessary, especially
for a "one off" board, would be totally impractical for any of us
amateurs so we have to muddle through or build some kind of aid to keep
the parts corralled and in place until they are soldered to the boards.

So far none of the kits I've built have had circuit boards larger than 3
X 5 inches so I made the tray fixture out of readily available hobby
woods from either Home Depot or Hobby Lobby,
For the hold down device, I used stuff I had on hand - an old heavy
steel base from an unrepairable, home made bug I scrapped plus some
surplus 6061-T6 aircraft aluminum bar stock obtained from a surplus
metals store in Wichita called the "Yard" store. It helped that I do
have a small table top milling machine and a bandsaw but everything
could have been done with a hacksaw and a file plus a drill and tap.

It got it's first use on the EZ Keyer IIi kit and worked so well I
decided to at least share the pictures of the fixture to the group's
photo's area.

Tried uploading the pix yesterday (followed Yahoo's directions) but they
would not upload. Funny but this morning everything worked and I was
able to get all the photo's uploaded. I hope they prove helpful, not so
much as a construction project, but as idea generators for anyone
wanting to do something similar.

Jim - W0EB

Dave Belville

Very interesting idea Jim. Is the force of the wire that holds the components in place sufficient to damage them? I am going to make one but I doubt it will look as professional.

73

Dave, KD9VT

Jim, N5IB

Jim's post reminded me I have some old photos of a few gadgets for SMD work. A couple by me, some from Steve Weber and others. The "famous" one is N4EEE's  "Goofy Lookin' Goose Shaped Surface Mount Holder Downer Doofus"  Google "SMD Doofus" and see what pops up.

I posted them to an Album in the Photos area "SMD soldering aids"

I like Jim's box with the sides.
There are quite a few parts still on the lam in the carpet beneath my work table  :^))

Jim, N5IB

---In 4sqrp@..., <w0eb@...> wrote :

Having bought the EZ Keyer IIi SMD kit and also gotten several other
boards with SMD's on them I found that with my fat fingers, I needed a
way to keep the parts from bouncing off the board during construction &
especially something to keep them in place during soldering. In
commercial SMD board population,

Jim Sheldon

If I'd thought to look for those hold down devices, I'd probably have done it like that.  I like Steve Weber's one with the toothpick and also that bent wire job with a handful of fishing weights hanging off it to provide tension.  I might just have to build one of those out of a stick of that .050" music wire.  I have a set of special wire bending pliers designed for putting just those types of complex bends in the stuff.  My aluminum bar system, though elegant is probably totally overkill.  LOL

Jim - W0EB

Jim's post reminded me I have some old photos of a few gadgets for SMD work. A couple by me, some from Steve Weber and others. The "famous" one is N4EEE's  "Goofy Lookin' Goose Shaped Surface Mount Holder Downer Doofus"  Google "SMD Doofus" and see what pops up.

I posted them to an Album in the Photos area "SMD soldering aids"

I like Jim's box with the sides.
There are quite a few parts still on the lam in the carpet beneath my work table  :^))

Jim, N5IB

wa2cky

Very neat ideas - all of them. I haven't had to tackle a SMD board yet but no doubt that will be coming up soon and these all look like good ideas.

Bob Groh, WA2CKY

dekle@...

Here's one I did a while ago.
It works well, the pressure is variable, and it's quite handy.

Bill
KV6Z

JAY <aj4ay@...>

Bob,

First SMD rule (Jim N5IB has touched on this) is no carpet.  There is a definite repelling force between tweezers and an SMD part.  This force will launch the part somewhere across your floor.  Chances are, it will never to be seen again if there is carpet. ;-}

Have fun and enjoy the build, SMD or not.

Regards from LA (lower Alabama)

Jay

AJ4AY

Mobile, AL

Very neat ideas - all of them. I haven't had to tackle a SMD board yet but no doubt that will be coming up soon and these all look like good ideas.

Bob Groh, WA2CKY

KD4OBQ