SMD Soldering Aid

Louis Axeman <n8la@...>

Greetings,

One time, during a 4 DIM Buildathon, Rex Harper, W1REX, used a toothpick held by vice grips to hold down SMDs for soldering.

72,
Lou,  N8LA

wa2cky

Very neat idea!  Heavy handle, replaceable and non-conductive pick head and pretty much zero cost (who the heck doesn't have a vice grip lying around).

Bob Groh, WA2CKY

David Wilcox

I remember that and have used that method a few times.  I picked up a music wire one with a fishing sinker on it later and use it more now.  A touch of bees wax helps reduce the flight of the SMD and does no harm to the build.  Didn't someone write a music composition about the "Flight of the SMD"?

Dave K8WPE

On Aug 12, 2017, at 10:06 AM, Louis Axeman n8la@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Greetings,

One time, during a 4 DIM Buildathon, Rex Harper, W1REX, used a toothpick held by vice grips to hold down SMDs for soldering.

72,
Lou,  N8LA

David Wilcox

Addendum:

I checked my tool drawer and found five different sizes of ViceGrips........ One for every size of SMD?

Dave K8WPE

On Aug 12, 2017, at 4:21 PM, David Wilcox djwilcox01@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

I remember that and have used that method a few times.  I picked up a music wire one with a fishing sinker on it later and use it more now.  A touch of bees wax helps reduce the flight of the SMD and does no harm to the build.  Didn't someone write a music composition about the "Flight of the SMD"?

Dave K8WPE

On Aug 12, 2017, at 10:06 AM, Louis Axeman n8la@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Greetings,

One time, during a 4 DIM Buildathon, Rex Harper, W1REX, used a toothpick held by vice grips to hold down SMDs for soldering.

72,
Lou,  N8LA

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

I finally looked up the 'doofus'. I'm in!

73,

Bill KU8H

Dave NE5DL

"Mr Melt solder" KD1JV's tip - bees wax. Used it many times picking up and laying in place, works well for me.

72, Dave NE5DL