End Fed Wire Experiments

Darryl J Kelly

Been doing a lot of experimenting and testing end fed wire antennas especially with small 9:1 ununs.
I have found that a 56' end fed wire, not up to high, 15' to 20' , with a 25'  counterpoise fed with 50' of coax and a 9:1 unun will tune from the Cricket frequency up through 10 meters except for 17 meters, tuning with an old LDG Z11 QRP automatic tuner. If you want to run your Cricket but don't have 130'  for a dipole or vee, all you need it one support and 56' of wire. Also good for second or third antenna like at my QTH. Hope this is of interest.
Darryl, KK5IB

Walter - K5EST

Good posting, Darryl!

I use 50 ft end fed for 40 thru 10 meters and 100 ft end fed for 80 thru 10 meters on the KX2 & KX3. Will give your 56 footer a try with the 9:1 balun. That is really handy for portable / motel operating.

73....Walter - K5EST

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 2:03 PM, kk5ib01@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Been doing a lot of experimenting and testing end fed wire antennas especially with small 9:1 ununs.
I have found that a 56' end fed wire, not up to high, 15' to 20' , with a 25'  counterpoise fed with 50' of coax and a 9:1 unun will tune from the Cricket frequency up through 10 meters except for 17 meters, tuning with an old LDG Z11 QRP automatic tuner. If you want to run your Cricket but don't have 130'  for a dipole or vee, all you need it one support and 56' of wire. Also good for second or third antenna like at my QTH. Hope this is of interest.
Darryl, KK5IB

w2sh@...

Sounds good Darryl,

Pls tell us if the 25' counterpoise lies on the ground, and if so, is it beneath the antenna.  Or is it elevated, and if so, where's it pointed?

Obviously the resonance point of a counterpoise is much lower if resting on the ground than if it were elevated above ground, even a few inches above.

Thanks your news.

72,

Charles, W2SH