Facebook

Charles W. Powell

How many 4SQRP folks stalk, waste time, or otherwise whittle away hours on Facebook? I was just thinking that perhaps we could gain some membership and increase participation if we had a presence on the (now fairly) universal magnet for Millennials, grandparents, and cat video lovers. Oh yes, there are a few radio forums as well.

Comments?

72,

Chas - NK8O

James W. Hodgson

Hello,
A few years ago I was told by an Ontario Provincial Police Officer (equivalent to State Trooper) that "we can hack Facebook in the blink of an eye".
When Facebook and Twitter were created, I made a personal vow never to use either.
I also hear Facebook's data collection policies are not the best.

My $.05 - Buffalo Nickel

72/73
Jim Hodgson
VA3HOD

On Sep 10, 2017, at 22:59, Charles Powell doctorcwp@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

How many 4SQRP folks stalk, waste time, or otherwise whittle away hours on Facebook? I was just thinking that perhaps we could gain some membership and increase participation if we had a presence on the (now fairly) universal magnet for Millennials, grandparents, and cat video lovers. Oh yes, there are a few radio forums as well.

Comments?

72,

Chas - NK8O

wa2cky

I use Facebook quite a bit - both to keep tabs on family and to check the many wood working forums I belong to as well as a few radio and ham radio forums I belong to. I don't worry about hacking - why would someone want to hack my account?  I guess they could and certainly some people do to the great detriment of the people hacked (who can essentially lose control over their Facebook page).

I do find the forum entirely satisfactory for my uses and basically wouldn't see any need to have a Facebook page.  And, quite selfishly, I think the group is big enough as it is!

73
Bob Groh, WA2CKY

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 9:59 PM, Charles Powell doctorcwp@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

How many 4SQRP folks stalk, waste time, or otherwise whittle away hours on Facebook? I was just thinking that perhaps we could gain some membership and increase participation if we had a presence on the (now fairly) universal magnet for Millennials, grandparents, and cat video lovers. Oh yes, there are a few radio forums as well.

Comments?

72,

Chas - NK8O

w2sh@...

Let all the braggarts, narcissists, lonely hearts and outright liars have their various playpens.

Those who esteem the mystique of life and the value of privacy deserve, and will endeavor to find and enjoy other milieux.

72,

Charles, W2SH

[...]

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

Determined busybodies can hack *anything* - even your home. Don't bother to put your financials on facebook. I have a facebook account and I look at what my family - siblings, cousins, children, grandchildren, great gandchildren, etc are doing. Until recently (when I learned to hog tie facebook) I looked at it once every month or two. Now it is more like weekly (some say weakly). I still call it "in your face book".

We probably don't need yet another facebook forum. The email is more convenient to use and more reliable. I still use the phone and snail mail for that matter and they are still as good as they ever were. Yes..those can be and are hacked too. The whole world is made of dirt and you are going to get some on you every day. Brush it off and keep on going.

73,

Bill KU8H

--
bark less - wag more

Ken Talbott

No farcebook – they are not people with whom I would like to associate.

Ken ke4rg

From: "Lee Bahr l@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...>
Date: 9/11/17 8:09 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: 4sqrp@..., nw7us@...
Subject: Re: [4sqrp] Re: Facebook

---In 4sqrp@..., <doctorcwp@...> wrote :

How many 4SQRP folks stalk, waste time, or otherwise whittle away hours on Facebook? I was just thinking that perhaps we could gain some membership and increase participation if we had a presence on the (now fairly) universal magnet for Millennials, grandparents, and cat video lovers. Oh yes, there are a few radio forums as well.

Comments?

72,

Chas - NK8O

Bill Cromwell

Hi Ken,

My take on this thread is facebook might be an additional resource for 4SQRP and not a "migration". I don't hate or detest any of that stuff but I am more focused on email, snail mail, and um CW on the air. I don't see myself trafficing in facebook posts very much. But the more things stay the same the more they change. Oy?

73,

Bill KU8H

On 09/11/2017 10:20 PM, ktalbott ktalbott@... [4sqrp] wrote:

If we must try another host, let it be Twitter. I will have to depart
if 4sqrp migrates to Facebook.
Ken ke4rg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
--
bark less - wag more

Paul Smith

I would add my HERE HERE to Ed's comments. My grandkids almost insisted that I get on facebook quite a while back. I see and enjoy Ed's comments and pictures. I will go sign up right now de Paul N0NBD

Sent from Outlook

[...]

David Wilcox K8WPE

Our kids made a facebook site for us.  While Bev and I do not contribute to it we do enjoy what the kids are saying/doing.  It is completely safe since it is "for us", not "by us".

Dave & Bev K8WPE

AA4GA <aa4ga@...>

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 10:16 PM, Cecil Bayona cecil.bayona@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Sorry but it don't work that way, you can decide who shows up on your
page, it's not the Wild West, you have control over what happens and who
can access your page. You can make it so nobody has access to your page
but you can have access to a clubs page,

Yep!

A lot of people who are anti-FB don't seem to understand how it works and the control they actually have.  And to amplify (only to 5 Watts!) Dale's comments, the real-time back and forth on FB during the Foxhunts simply can't happen via an email forum like Yahoo.

73 de Lee, AA4GA

Richard Dickerson

Please leave those of us who refuse to use Facebook other option to remain abreast of the group.

Richard
WF2F

On Sep 12, 2017 2:25 PM, "AA4GA aa4ga@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...> wrote:

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 10:16 PM, Cecil Bayona cecil.bayona@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Sorry but it don't work that way, you can decide who shows up on your
page, it's not the Wild West, you have control over what happens and who
can access your page. You can make it so nobody has access to your page
but you can have access to a clubs page,

Yep!

A lot of people who are anti-FB don't seem to understand how it works and the control they actually have.  And to amplify (only to 5 Watts!) Dale's comments, the real-time back and forth on FB during the Foxhunts simply can't happen via an email forum like Yahoo.

73 de Lee, AA4GA

Tim N9PUZ

Richard --

As I originally posted this email list is the primary/official source of all 4DQRP information.

Tim N9PUZ
4SQRP Co-Moderator

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 9:28 AM, Richard Dickerson richard.dickerson@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

[...]

Jeff Logullo N0̸MII

Suggestion: can the current "4SQRP - Four State QRP" group's description be modified to add the URL of the club's web page?

I expect that the Facebook group might attract some newcomers... seems to me we should inform visitors of the Facebook splash page to visit the web site, where they can learn all about the club, even if they don't click "join".

N0MII