Moderator Message: Facebook

Tim N9PUZ

A group has been created on Facebook:

4SQRP - Four State QRP

<https://www.facebook.com/groups/1841092159236098/>

1. The Facebook group will NOT replace the email reflector as the primary source of club information.

2. You are under no obligation to join the Facebook group and no one will think less of you if you do not choose to do so.

3. It is a closed group. You will have to request to join.

4. I do not know if the other moderator is a Facebook member so the join process may be a bit slow at the start -- I still work for a living and help feed the Social Security System many of you enjoy.

73,

Tim N9PUZ
Co-Moderator

David B Rogers

Congratulations. You have just factionalized the group.  Call it what you will, argue whichever position you want, but that is the end result.  Maybe it will work out. I hope so.

David, WA7ZYQ

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 11, 2017, at 7:32 PM, Tim McDonough N9PUZ tim.n9puz@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

A group has been created on Facebook:

4SQRP - Four State QRP

<https://www.facebook.com/groups/1841092159236098/>

1. The Facebook group will NOT replace the email reflector as the
primary source of club information.

2. You are under no obligation to join the Facebook group and no one
will think less of you if you do not choose to do so.

3. It is a closed group. You will have to request to join.

4. I do not know if the other moderator is a Facebook member so the
join process may be a bit slow at the start -- I still work for a living
and help feed the Social Security System many of you enjoy.

73,

Tim N9PUZ
Co-Moderator

David Wilcox K8WPE

I just joined.  While I don't post I enjoy lurking to learn what I can from others who have "been there, done that".

Dave K8WPE

On Sep 11, 2017, at 10:32 PM, Tim McDonough N9PUZ tim.n9puz@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

A group has been created on Facebook:

4SQRP - Four State QRP

<https://www.facebook.com/groups/1841092159236098/>

1. The Facebook group will NOT replace the email reflector as the
primary source of club information.

2. You are under no obligation to join the Facebook group and no one
will think less of you if you do not choose to do so.

3. It is a closed group. You will have to request to join.

4. I do not know if the other moderator is a Facebook member so the
join process may be a bit slow at the start -- I still work for a living
and help feed the Social Security System many of you enjoy.

73,

Tim N9PUZ
Co-Moderator

J.K. Wright

I would think that one would study and understand Facebook before having such strong opinions against. I think a study would show a large percentage of ham and technology based organizations are on Facebook.  QRP  and CW could become much more popular if the rest of the ham communities did not view it as the home of Luddites and Neanderthals. Lighten up and carry on:)

Jerry NK2C

On Sep 11, 2017 11:49 PM, "wa7zyq@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...> wrote:

[...]

Greg Troxel

"wa7zyq@gmail.com [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@yahoogroups.com> writes:

Congratulations. You have just factionalized the group. Call it what
you will, argue whichever position you want, but that is the end
result. Maybe it will work out. I hope so.

David, WA7ZYQ
I think the club should not engage with Facebook. The real problem is
not the content other people post, but that to participate you have to
agree to Facebook's terms of service and interact with an advertising
company.

I agree that setting up separate groups like this, particularly when
they exclude those who don't agree to unreasonable terms, separates the
community.

73 de n1dam

Ken Talbott

I agree. The beginning of the end for one or the other.

Ken ke4rg

> Congratulations. You have just factionalized the group. Call it what
> you will, argue whichever position you want, but that is the end
> result. Maybe it will work out. I hope so.
>
> David, WA7ZYQ

I think the club should not engage with Facebook. The real problem is
not the content other people post, but that to participate you have to
agree to Facebook's terms of service and interact with an advertising
company.

I agree that setting up separate groups like this, particularly when
they exclude those who don't agree to unreasonable terms, separates the
community.

73 de n1dam

Dale Putnam

I am not so sure.

The FOXHUNT organization, expanded to FB, a few years ago.. and I had plenty of reservations. HOWEVER, they didn't pan out.. the concerns didn't happen.. the bad end all.. didn't occur.. and it still runs. The email reflector is NOT as busy during the hunts as it was.. but FB is busier, yet both are utilized more than the reflector was prior to FB initiation. Therefore,.. from ONE prior experience.. maybe not so much concern, and a bit more focus on what we are in the club for.. and take that to the medium that fits our style.

Have a great day,
--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

"Actions speak louder than words"
1856 - Abraham Lincoln

I agree. The beginning of the end for one or the other.

Ken ke4rg

> Congratulations. You have just factionalized the group. Call it what
> you will, argue whichever position you want, but that is the end
> result. Maybe it will work out. I hope so.
>
> David, WA7ZYQ

I think the club should not engage with Facebook. The real problem is
not the content other people post, but that to participate you have to
agree to Facebook's terms of service and interact with an advertising
company.

I agree that setting up separate groups like this, particularly when
they exclude those who don't agree to unreasonable terms, separates the
community.

73 de n1dam

AG1P Ron

IMHO

I am not a Facebook user. However it seems to me it is just another “tool” in the amateur radio toolbox. There are a lot of facets/choices in our hobby, even in QRP, and none are really exclusionary. We have choices and just pick those that peak our interest at that point in time. When we get bored, we move on to something else - one of the advantages of enjoying a hobby as diverse as amateur radio.  Not playing with all the aspects doesn’t mean the hobby will fail, or in this case, 4SQRP will fail.  Club member have chased their passions before this and am sure will continue to do so in the future; yet the club continues to grow.

Just my nickel (2 cents adjusted for inflation).

72 - Ron - AG1P

4SQRP #11

SKCC #1047

I agree. The beginning of the end for one or the other.

Ken ke4rg

> Congratulations. You have just factionalized the group. Call it what
> you will, argue whichever position you want, but that is the end
> result. Maybe it will work out. I hope so.
>
> David, WA7ZYQ

I think the club should not engage with Facebook. The real problem is
not the content other people post, but that to participate you have to
agree to Facebook's terms of service and interact with an advertising
company.

I agree that setting up separate groups like this, particularly when
they exclude those who don't agree to unreasonable terms, separates the
community.

73 de n1dam

Bob Zolecki

Ron   Is a nickel the proper adjustment,  think it should be more maybe...de Bob z  KR9Z

I agree. The beginning of the end for one or the other.
Ken ke4rg
 < /p>
> Congratulations. You have just factionalized the group. Call it what
> you will, argue whichever position you want, but that is the end
> result. Maybe it will work out. I hope so.
>
> David, WA7ZYQ

I think the club should not engage with Facebook. The real problem is
not the content other people post, but that to participate you have to
agree to Facebook's terms of service and interact with an advertising
company.

I agree that setting up separate groups like this, particularly when
they exclude those who don't agree to unreasonable terms, separates the
community.

73 de n1dam

Neil Goldstein

"but that to participate you have to agree to Facebook's terms of service and interact with an advertising company"

Sorry folks who feel this way, but what do you think Yahoo is?  Where do you think they make their money?

Yahoo, AOL, and their new owner Verizon could not really give a crap about Yahoo Groups, which has been a neglected platform already.

I quote Steve Buscemi in Armageddon:  "OK folks, It's time to embrace the horror"

Facebook is far from perfect but very accessible and much more mobile friendly.  Personally though, I'm waiting for that perfect Yahoo Groups alternative. Groups.IO is not it.

--Neil - W2NDG

Curt

Being a Luddite I have avoided FB, Twitter, Instagram, etc.  Meanwhile the XYL is spending tine watching FB live cooking demos on hee Ipad or her Iphone.  Five years ago she didn't even use e-mail.  All the kids, grandkids, and other relatives are on FB.  I don't have time for social media, too busy trying FT-8 :-o

72, Curt KB5JO