Topics

FT8

WA0ITP

Anyone out there using FT8?  I'm thinking that trying it may get me past the bad prop blues plus making digital fun again.

Any setup hints, screenshots, frequencies, downloads, equipment, etc?

TIA for any info.
--
72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.

Charlie Vest

I use FT8 and it is an easy setup if you use the latest version of WSJT-X . JT Alert is a nice accessory if you are looking for awards or certain stations or areas .

Facebook has an FT8 group also.

Charlie , W5COV

---- "WA0ITP wa0itp@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Anyone out there using FT8?  I'm thinking that trying it may get me past
the bad prop blues plus making digital fun again.

Any setup hints, screenshots, frequencies, downloads, equipment, etc?

TIA for any info.

--
72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.

cornhusker

I just got on FT8 last week.  It's great fun!
It is perfect for QRP.

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 4:05 PM, WA0ITP wa0itp@... [4sqrp]
<4sqrp@...> wrote:

Anyone out there using FT8?  I'm thinking that trying it may get me past the bad prop blues plus making digital fun again.

Any setup hints, screenshots, frequencies, downloads, equipment, etc?

TIA for any info.

--
72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.

Charles W. Powell

I don’t have any screen shots but if you are set up with any digital modes or programs, like Fldigi or any of the others, there is no special setup for FT8.  The only thing I found was that the audio drive levels were slightly different on my KX2 with WSJT-X program than with Fldigi.

72,

Charles NK8O

On Sep 18, 2017, at 4:04 PM, WA0ITP wa0itp@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Anyone out there using FT8?  I'm thinking that trying it may get me past the bad prop blues plus making digital fun again.

Any setup hints, screenshots, frequencies, downloads, equipment, etc?

TIA for any info.

--
72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.

Curt

Indeed, K1JT is a genius!  ( And a Nobel Prize winning Astrophysicist )lol.  With the poor band condx here with CW, I have been using JT65, JT9 and now FT8 (which seems to have supplanted JT9).  What a blast!  Using WSJT-X through a SignalLink hooked to my K2 at 5W works very well.   Using https://pskreporter.info/pskmap.html will show who in the world is hearing your signal, refreshed every minute.

Fast-paced making QSOs, immediate gratification.  Easy to use and the price is right (free).

72 Curt, KB5JO

Ray Cadmus

I'm using the newest wsjt-x on a Raspberry PI.  Just download & run the install.  Using Signalink and my Argonaut V. The program itself will show you what frequencies to use.

No QRP trailer at Brutus this year?

Regards,

Ray    w9eum  (former w0pfo)

--

On 09/18/2017 04:04 PM, WA0ITP wa0itp@... [4sqrp] wrote:

Anyone out there using FT8?  I'm thinking that trying it may get me past the bad prop blues plus making digital fun again.

Any setup hints, screenshots, frequencies, downloads, equipment, etc?

TIA for any info.

--
72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.

Jay Henson

Terry,

Get ver 1.8 or later of WSJT-X.  Go here:

https://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx.html

Go to the bottom of the screen and you will find:

“Candidate Release for WSJT-X Version 1.8.0-rc2”

The download for your OS can be found there.

I also installed JT ALERT and used it as an FT8 logger feeding N3FJP’s ACLOG.

It is an interesting mode. Good luck.

Jay

AJ4AY

Mobile, AL

Anyone out there using FT8?  I'm thinking that trying it may get me past the bad prop blues plus making digital fun again.

Any setup hints, screenshots, frequencies, downloads, equipment, etc?

TIA for any info.

--
72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.

Curt

The only "problem" is that the computer does most of the communication.  With the macros, about all I need to do after clicking on a callsign is click log the QSO when complete.  Next, the computers will perform the "handshake" and we will just be control operators watching the QSOs as they roll in (lol).  Not for a ragchew, that is for sure (lol).

It is especially interesting to watch pskreporter to see who is hearing me, and watch that change as I increase or decrease power, minute by minute.  CW is still my favorite mode, the other digital modes are a diversion for me.

72, Curt KB5JO

Nick-WA5BDU

I made my first FT8 QSO a few days ago. I jokingly said I didn't know whether to be proud or ashamed. :-)

For downloads, you mostly need the one package. Everything is there. I did make the mistake of downloading the *current* revision instead of the latest beta, which is the one that has FT8. I did download another recommended utility that's supposed to keep my PC's time pretty close to actual.

Normally used frequencies for each mode on each band are built in to the software, which is handy. So you just need to set your TX levels and know how to set up the RX.  (USB, broad BW, AGC off ...)

I did some monitoring for a while and checked some YouTube videos on how to make it work. But it's not too difficult.

Going in, I wondered if there was much or any human action required to make QSOs. The answer is, not too much, but you do have to, or get to, initiate the QSO.

I can't very well complain about QSOs with very minimal content, since I do like contests and I do try to work DXpeditions. Most of the FT8 QSOs just exchange callsigns and grid squares and an automatic signal report in dB above or below the noise level. It would be nice to add your name or power level or something. There is a way to do that but I'm not sure how much it's done.

I need to play with it a lot more before I get good at it.

73-

Nick, WA5BDU

On 9/18/2017 4:04 PM, WA0ITP wa0itp@... [4sqrp] wrote:

Anyone out there using FT8?  I'm thinking that trying it may get me past the bad prop blues plus making digital fun again.

Any setup hints, screenshots, frequencies, downloads, equipment, etc?

TIA for any info.

--
72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.

Paul Smith

Hello Nick,
My son N0PHU fixed me up on PSK and FT8 to help get me through the lean times. I believe you can edit more info in on the exchanges but sometimes with the crappy conditions it is a PUSH to get the short responses through. I am still getting some SKCC contacts in the mornings and late in the evening before the bands go to sleep. have a good one CUL de Paul N0NBD

Dale Putnam

I am also getting ready for FT8 And the JT digi modes. Just haven't made the first Q yet. Hope to se you both and many others on the waterfall soon

Make this a great day
Dale