Topics

Field Day Operation remotely as a group

Ed Meyer, WG5F

#FIELDDAY
I'll probably be operating Field Day this year.
It'll be a pretty limited effort from our place near the Lake (near Pryor OK).
My sons (both hams) are both in town and we may go multi op...  may not.
Since the 2020 rules allows for "Club" scores from multiple sites... would anyone else like to use the club-name "4SQRP" in their summary report to ARRL to combine scores for the Four State group?
I don't see that there's any limitation on how distant/close the individual stations have to be to use the individual/combo-group scoring.
If you haven't been aware, the ARRL is also allowing "points" to-from class "D" (home stations using commercial power) for 2020.
So no real requirement to go full blown emergency style operation this year.
I'll probably still go with battery power/solar/QRP.
I'm just not sure if i'll set up an emergency antenna or use the loop that's already in the trees.
In any case, i hope you'll get on for at least a little while and participate in the event.
If can satisfy many modes of operation and needs for states worked, or testing out antennas, etc.
No need to view this as a contest unless you have all those competitive juices flowing.
"IF" we decide "we'd" like to use the combo scoring for our club - all entries must use the same EXACT club name in their individual summary submission.
You still use your own call - and you get a regular individual score as well as contribute to the Club score.
I'd suggest "4SQRP" as the "exact" name.
72,
-Ed, WG5F-

J.K. Wright

Better ck ARRL guidance on name. I believe it specifically states not to use acronyms.
NK2C

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020, 12:09 PM Ed Meyer, WG5F <wg5f@...> wrote:

[...]

Ya made me look...
I was not able to find anything about acronyms (prohibiting or discouraging) in regards to the club name.
Just that it had to spelled exactly the same or it won't get aggregated.
If you can send that info - it would be VERY much appreciated.
Thanks & 73,
-Ed, WG5F-

Johnny AC0BQ

Hello Ed and the Group
I think I will operate from home on Battery as well.

Your welcome to use the club Call,
WQ5RP.
I am the call sign trustee so just don’t get me in trouble with the FCC!!!

72
Johnny ACØBQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Ed Meyer, WG5F

Hey Johnny - naw I'll use my call, thanks.
But if we want to do an aggregate club score, we could us the method described previously.
They don't seem to care about sending in a pre-registed list of participants or anything for this "special" Field Day 2020 club score.
72,
-Ed, WG5F-

Johnny AC0BQ

Ok Ed
I’m good for using 4SQRP to register the log points.
72
Johnny ACØBQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

J.K. Wright

I am out and about. Did you look in the ARRL FD app info for filing. L double check when I get home.
NK2C

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020, 1:06 PM Ed Meyer, WG5F <wg5f@...> wrote:
Ya made me look...
I was not able to find anything about acronyms (prohibiting or discouraging) in regards to the club name.
Just that it had to spelled exactly the same or it won't get aggregated.
If you can send that info - it would be VERY much appreciated.
Thanks & 73,
-Ed, WG5F-

J.K. Wright

The Field Day Entry form (field 2) says club name.  Our club's interpretation is full name for club. Our acronym is RAGS.  We would like everyone to know that is Radio Amateurs of Greater Syracuse.... 4SQRP might work, but would it attract any new members to the club that way?  IMHO.

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020, 1:06 PM Ed Meyer, WG5F <wg5f@...> wrote:
Ya made me look...
I was not able to find anything about acronyms (prohibiting or discouraging) in regards to the club name.
Just that it had to spelled exactly the same or it won't get aggregated.
If you can send that info - it would be VERY much appreciated.
Thanks & 73,
-Ed, WG5F-

Ed Meyer, WG5F

I did finally find a reference to abbreviations and acronyms in a FAQ:
Each participant will submit his or her own independent entry under his or her call sign. ARRL will calculate the aggregate score based upon the club name entered on the official Field Day entry form via the web applet (preferred method) or on the paper Field Day entry form. In order for results to be tabulated correctly, all club participants must enter the club’s official name exactly the same, avoiding abbreviations or acronyms. This is important!

I think the chances for getting Four States QRP Group entered correctly by each participant is less likely than 4SQRP.
But - i'll bow to those that will be participating that have a voice for how they'd prefer to specify the club.
(I know my old club, the Midland Amateur Radio Club, will be using "Midland ARC")
73,
-Ed, WG5F-

Johnny AC0BQ

Hello Ed
I don’t see a problem with the 4SQRP,
No spaces and all Caps.
Easy to remember and type.
I’m good for it.
72
Johnny ACØBQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

John Kirby

Field Day 2020 ARRL important log detail

http://www.arrl.org/news/arrl-contest-program-issues-field-day-2020-faq

One of the most important detail added in these FAQ’s is that ...

...your club affiliation needs to be entered
without abbreviations or acronyms...

 To be included in the club aggregate score each club name submitted must be identical in spelling and case.

72 73
John
N3AAZ

Tony Scandurra K4QE

I am amazed how many people re-interpret this detail...

It does not say “without” or “no” abbreviations or acronyms.

The quote directly from the FAQ says:

"all club participants must enter the club’s official name exactly the same, avoiding abbreviations or acronyms.

Consider this:

Podunk Amateur Radio Club and Timbuktu Amateur Radio Club

 - or -

Podunk ARC and Timbuktu ARC

The only unique part of the names is “Podunk” and “Timbuktu”.  Therefore, it makes no sense not to use an acronym in the common part of the name.  In fact, abbreviating “Amateur Radio Club” using ARC greatly reduces the chance of a spelling error (think of how many times have you seen people misspell “amateur” as “amatuer”?).  It is also easier to see the difference between the two when the abbreviation for the common part is used.

73, Tony K4QE

On Jun 24, 2020, at 6:44 AM, John Kirby <n3aaz_qrp_1@...> wrote:

Field Day 2020 ARRL important log detail

http://www.arrl.org/news/arrl-contest-program-issues-field-day-2020-faq

One of the most important detail added in these FAQ’s is that ...

...your club affiliation needs to be entered
without abbreviations or acronyms...

 To be included in the club aggregate score each club name submitted must be identical in spelling and case.

72 73
John
N3AAZ

J.K. Wright

I believe avoiding = no

However, it is a free country..you can do however you like and live with consequences.

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020, 8:13 AM Tony Scandurra K4QE <k4qe@...> wrote:
[...]

The intent of the statement in the FAQ is to avoid club names where there is no uniqueness.

For instance, there are two clubs in North Carolina with the common acronym “RARS”.  Obviously, they need to make them unique by using:

Raleigh ARS and Rowan ARS

That is what is meant by “avoiding”.

On Jun 24, 2020, at 8:21 AM, J.K. Wright <wrightjk@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill Lamm

Dosen't the club need to register for field day and state the club name for field day thus defining the exact name to be used by us from our home locations?

J.K. Wright

Only if you are able to operate as a club with a club call. The variant for this year only is that members can operate independently and ARRL will tabulate results by club name. In non virus years they don't do this.

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020, 9:42 AM Bill Lamm <kd9mdl@...> wrote:
Dosen't the club need to register for field day and state the club name for field day thus defining the exact name to be used by us from our home locations?

Tony Scandurra K4QE

No.  Only contesting clubs participating in contests like the ARRL DX Contest need to be on the ARRL Contest Club List.  Despite the fact that clubs are listed in the Field Day listings, there is no official “club competition” in Field Day.  Why?  Because Field Day is not a contest!