From: main@4SQRP.groups.io <main@4SQRP.groups.io> on behalf of griffithsesq.robert via groups.io <signalnaut@...>
Sent: Thursday, July 2, 2020 2:00 PM
To: main@4sqrp.groups.io <main@4sqrp.groups.io>
Subject: [4SQRP] Para-sets and books

Responding to a request to identify the Para-Sets, I have included the two identifying placards that I photographed along side of the Para-Sets in the Les Invallides Military Museum In Paris. They were displayed in a wing of the Museum devoted to the French Resistance. I only photographed two placards although there are 3 Para-Sets so, I am not sure which goes with which however, I believe the first is the Type A Mark III, the second unknown, (Note the knobs labeled “BFO” and Volume”), and the third is the Type 3 Mark II. The first and third appear to have similar built in keys and a place for the Crystal in the middle. I think that is a Crystal plugged into the middle of the first set. As a side note, if you ever get to Paris, Les Invallides (sp) is well worth a visit. You could literally spend days there.

73. Griff NE3I
Robert Alan Griffiths

griffithsesq.robert

[...]

AE1NH <ae1nh@...>

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 12:17 PM, griffithsesq.robert wrote:
See photos below from Les Invalids (Sp) Military Museum in Paris if, they come through the Reflector.

Many of you have probably already read The Secret Wireless War -The Story of MI6 Communications 1939-1945 by Geoffrey P Pidgeon. There is a chapter on Clandestine Wireless and Agent Sets. Another section describes how German Operators used Q Signals in their messages to attempt to disguise military traffic as Amateur Radio communications.

Another recent book with some coverage of agents dropped behind the lines in WW2 is Last Hope Island.
73 Griff NE3I

Griff NE3i

The Paraset I am familiar with had the tubes mounted on top. Do you know what this radio is specifically called. I would like to find more info on it. Thx.

73 de AE1NH, Alan

Bill Lamm

The original 'go-box' ..  this is a dangerous rabbit hole I must explore..  er um I mean avoid ..

Michael McEwen

I would love to see a Para-set in person. Are there in the vicinity of Oklahoma City?

72/73 Doc K5osa Lt Col, US Army, Ret