Circuit to use oscillator IC in place of crystal

Johnny,

You ought to check out the Woodpecker, a nice looking 60 meter 500-600 mW transceiver kit.  He has the kits ready and is just working on the assembly instructions.  It comes with a Channel 1 crystal, has separate AF & RF controls and RIT control 500 Hz below & 1 kHz above the TX frequency.  Other features include Direct Conversion receiver, 7 component lowpass filter, sidetone, QSK with delay, and tunable bandpass filter.   I can hardly wait to get one!

When I spoke with him last month he figured the price would be somewhere in the $60 range.

Check it out at:  https://breadboardradio.com/60-woodpecker.html

EuGene, KA5NLY

Johnny AC0BQ

Good Evening
I just have to comment on the “Woodpecker” name.
That’s a neat name for a small radio!
72
Johnny ACØBQ

On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 6:24 PM bigusmith via groups.io <bigusmith=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Darryl,

Yes, I have talked with Bill (and have a standing order for a Woodpecker xcvr).  He has only the Channel 1 crystals which he supplies with the rigs.  He hasn't ordered crystals for any other channels, as his supplier sells them only in large bulk orders for several hundred dollars, and he can't afford to buy crystals for the other channels.

EuGene

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Darryl,

Yes, I have talked with Bill (and have a standing order for a Woodpecker xcvr).  He has only the Channel 1 crystals which he supplies with the rigs.  He hasn't ordered crystals for any other channels, as his supplier sells them only in large bulk orders for several hundred dollars, and he can't afford to buy crystals for the other channels.

EuGene

Darryl K4VLP

EuGene,
Bill W4FSV at breadboardradio.com has developed a crystal-controlled Woodpecker rig which operates on channel 1. You might contact him to see if he can provide a source for his crystals.
73, Darryl K4VLP

I finally gave up on finding crystals for the 60 meter channels; what I did find was custom cut crystals from $50 - $80, which I can't afford.  So, I went to Digi-Key and bought the Epson 4-pin DIP IC's for the channels I needed at $14 per channel.

So, I now have a couple of the Epson K4511 4-pin DIP oscillators for  60 meter channels #1 (5.332 mHz) and #2 (5.348 mHz) that I want to use in place of the unobtainable crystals for those frequencies.  Of course the oscillators need to be in some sort of circuit to provide the power for them to operate and to make them compatible with the transmitter so the output of the oscillator circuit can be plugged directly into the crystal socket to operate the QRPp transmitter.

I found such a simple circuit several months ago, but now cannot remember where I found it and have failed to locate it again.  Groan!  Any help will be greatly appreciated

EuGene Smith, KA5NLY