New Bayou Jumper Owners

Keith Arns

For those who have built a new bayou jumper; How about some comments of your experience; Building and / or on the air stories for the February

QRP Banner.  A few sentences, paragraph or page with possible pictures would be great to share with other members.

Please email your comments to:
editorqrpbanner@...

Regards and Stay Safe,
Keith Arns
KC0PP
QRP Banner Editor

Gary E. Kohtala

My Bayou Jumper is under construction at this time. I will provide feedback in the near future. Happy new year.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

On Jan 11, 2021, at 20:59, "Keith Arns via groups.io" <yahoo.com@groups.io target=_blank>kc0pp=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

For those who have built a new bayou jumper; How about some comments of your experience; Building and / or on the air stories for the February

QRP Banner.  A few sentences, paragraph or page with possible pictures would be great to share with other members.

Please email your comments to:
editorqrpbanner@...

Regards and Stay Safe,
Keith Arns
KC0PP
QRP Banner Editor

Jim Manley

Hi Keith,

Once we make our first QSO with our Jumpers, can we still apply for our Secret Agent Number?  I noticed on the application form that it doesn’t have a choice for the new Rev B Blue panel model.  Was this done to snag nasty Nazi interlopers, and we have to know to make ourselves a write-in candidate?

This is going to be a blast-and-a-half! I’ll bet some vendor-buyer coordinator at the Hobby Lobby HQs is wondering why they’re suddenly having to order pallet-loads of the raw materials to be transformed into the Official Bayou Jumper Wooden Box Case!

It would be amazingly cool if we could come up with a Bayou Jumper version of the Little Orphan Annie Official Secret Decoder Ring, ala the one featured in the Jean Shepherd movie  “A Christmas Story”.  Perhaps a 3-D printed model could be hacked up that could be printed locally and/or ordered from one of the on-line 3-D printing vendors.

One of those could even be used to create fine sand molds to make cast metal versions, and if the demand were enough, even make a metal mold for serial production.  Hey, we need something to do while waiting for the practice and real secret agent sessions to roll around on January 20th and in March!

Jim  KJ7JHE

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 6:59 PM Keith Arns via groups.io <kc0pp=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

For those who have built a new bayou jumper; How about some comments of your experience; Building and / or on the air stories for the February

QRP Banner.  A few sentences, paragraph or page with possible pictures would be great to share with other members.

Please email your comments to:
editorqrpbanner@...

Regards and Stay Safe,
Keith Arns
KC0PP
QRP Banner Editor_._,_._,_

Jim, N5IB

You may certainly still apply for your Secret Agent Number.
I'll update the application form and get it to the WebMaster to put on the kit webpage.
Give a couple of days for that to happen.

Of the two-digit numbers, we are at Agent 065, though 086 is already assigned (Mike, how about telling us the story one more time)
and 099 is still, years later, reserved for the first YL to apply.

One glitch is that I no longer have a color laser printer.
So I can't make nice white-on-blue decals like the white-on-green of before.
A test decal of black on clear did not show up well at all.
I can do black on white, but that doesn't promise to look good on the blue panel.
Or I can do white on clear with a Brother P-touch, but can't do the fine detail, and only two lines.

For the certificates, after the few remaining are gone, may have to resort to making a customized PDF that each Agent can download and print.

Can't offer much as to a secret decoder ring -- BTW... I had a Captain Midnight -- Ovaltine, uugghh!
But google "paper Enigma," and also read the coding instructions in the Files area of this Group.

73
Jim, N5IB
007

Jim Manley

Hi Jim,

I figured I'd hear from the person who provides the certificates and panel stickers sooner or later!  I'm sure _someone_ here has another very nice color laser printer (or even better, a color deposition printer like the Tektronix Phasers).  I wouldn't have any problem printing my own certificate, and if I want something really fancy, I can go to an office store that provides printing services (e.g., Kinkos, Staples, Office Depot, etc.).

I'd like Agent 086, BTW, since Maxwell Smart was Agent 86 on the hilarious 1960s TV spy-spoof "Get Smart!".  Agent 99 on that show was the lovely Barbara Feldon, of course, so Agent 099 would have to be another beautiful YL.

Thanks for the quick response and  73_Morse_Animated_GIF.gif

Jim  KJ7JHE