Another rig?

Roy Parker

Check at
http://www.hfsignals.com/
Does anybody know about this rig? Any good? Want to experiment? 

Tim N9PUZ

Roy,

There has been discussion of this kit here and in many of the other various Internet groups and forums. I have a kit in hand. It looks very nice, particularly for the money, and their other offerngs get good reviews. I'm anxious to get started on mine but that may still be a week or two out due to other commitments. I believe several other Four Staters have theirs on the air and I hope they will comment.

Tim N9PUZ

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 11:28 AM, Roy Parker via Groups.Io <royiparker@...> wrote:
Check at

Jim Sheldon

Hi Roy,
I have one, it appears to be okay - it was designed as an SSB rig originally and CW was added as an afterthought.  It's a great experimenter platform and I'm working on a mod or two to it already with some limited success.  They sold out of the initial run of kits in 2 days when they hit the market and though you can back order one right now, we don't know how long the time will be between ordering & shipping.  If you do decide to order one, I suggest you spend the extra 10 bucks & have it shipped by DHL Express.  It was under a week to get here from Hyderabad, India (the shipping point) from the time they shipped it until I received it.  I was one of the lucky ones that got in under the sellout wire on the original batch.

I have mine on the air and have made a number of QSO's with it, both on SSB (my least favorite mode) and CW.  There are mistakes in the schematic and documentation concerning CW operation, but I do have a fix for some of them.

Jim - W0EB

------ Original Message ------
Sent: 1/10/2018 11:28:50 AM
Subject: [4SQRP] Another rig?

Check at

Dan Reynolds

I have one on the bench. I haven't started on putting it in a case yet but I have something in mind. Farhan is a pretty good designer.

Dan KB9JLO

at91r40008 <yvon@...>

Jim,

do you mind sharing your modifications for CW? I have one too and in CW it is not ideal but it is a quite receiver.

Thanks,   73.
Yvon NU6I

Jim Sheldon

GM Yvon,
Attached is the schematic of the keying adapter I used.  The 2nd and third stages (for the key paddles) did not help enough due to the poor implementation of the paddle keyer.  I suggest using only the first stage of the adapter in the schematic, (disregard everything to the left of C4 on the diagram.).  For 90 percent of the people that have used it, this improved the keying for hand keys and even allowed using a bug.  Use an external keyer either through the adapter or if the external keyer has an FET output keying stage, the adapter should not be needed.  The internal keyer is being worked on but it's going to be a lengthy process and for now the suggestion is to use an external device.

Jim - W0EB

------ Original Message ------From: "at91r40008" <yvon@...>
Sent: 1/11/2018 12:51:37 AM
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] Another rig?

Jim,

do you mind sharing your modifications for CW? I have one too and in CW it is not ideal but it is a quite receiver.

Thanks,   73.
Yvon NU6I

WA0ITP

GM JIm,

"The internal keyer is being worked on"

Which keyer are you using?   The smd EZKeyer II-i is ideal and was designed for this application.  http://www.4sqrp.com/ek2i.php

GL

72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.
Back to the bench, Winter is too valuable to waste.
www.wa0itp.com
www.4sqrp.com
On 1/11/2018 7:22 AM, Jim Sheldon wrote:

GM Yvon,
Attached is the schematic of the keying adapter I used.  The 2nd and third stages (for the key paddles) did not help enough due to the poor implementation of the paddle keyer.  I suggest using only the first stage of the adapter in the schematic, (disregard everything to the left of C4 on the diagram.).  For 90 percent of the people that have used it, this improved the keying for hand keys and even allowed using a bug.  Use an external keyer either through the adapter or if the external keyer has an FET output keying stage, the adapter should not be needed.  The internal keyer is being worked on but it's going to be a lengthy process and for now the suggestion is to use an external device.

Jim - W0EB

Jim,

Thanks,   73.
Yvon NU6I

Jim Sheldon

I have several and they all work.  The main reason I designed that adapter (now almost obsolete because the keyer is being worked on by several good programmers - No, not me) was so I could use my bug(s) with it and the hand key which I use is home made and uses bare brass contacts which are difficult to keep perfectly clean.  ANY contact resistance on a key being used with the stock uBITX input will create problems due to the way the paddles are handled (measuring voltages on the single input line with the Analog to Digital converter (ADC) in the Arduino Nano).  

There are software fixes for that too, but I'm waiting until they go to a different keyer.

The EZ Keyer series will work great and my little FET keying interface should not be needed with it.

Jim

Sent: 1/11/2018 7:56:46 AM

GM JIm,

Which keyer are you using?   The smd EZKeyer II-i is ideal and was designed for this application.  http://www.4sqrp.com/ek2i.php

GL

72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.
www.wa0itp.com
www.4sqrp.com
GM Yvon,

Jim - W0EB

Jim,

Thanks,   73.
Yvon NU6I

WA0ITP

FB Jim, Good luck and hve fun with the rig and keyer.
72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.
www.wa0itp.com
www.4sqrp.com
On 1/11/2018 8:17 AM, Jim Sheldon wrote:

I have several and they all work.  The main reason I designed that adapter (now almost obsolete because the keyer is being worked on by several good programmers - No, not me) was so I could use my bug(s) with it and the hand key which I use is home made and uses bare brass contacts which are difficult to keep perfectly clean.  ANY contact resistance on a key being used with the stock uBITX input will create problems due to the way the paddles are handled (measuring voltages on the single input line with the Analog to Digital converter (ADC) in the Arduino Nano).  

There are software fixes for that too, but I'm waiting until they go to a different keyer.

The EZ Keyer series will work great and my little FET keying interface should not be needed with it.

Jim

GM JIm,

GL

72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.
www.wa0itp.com
www.4sqrp.com
GM Yvon,

Jim - W0EB

Jim,

Thanks,   73.
Yvon NU6I

Dan Reynolds

Jim, probably a dumb question - but does your circuit allow for/include the resistor required for the Raduino?
--
Dan Reynolds -- KB9JLO
<><

Jim Sheldon

nope that has to be installed in the radio - either at the key jack or across pins 2 & 3 of the Raduino's 8 pin digital connector (Key line - blue wire & +5 V)

Sent: 1/11/2018 1:16:21 PM

Jim, probably a dumb question - but does your circuit allow for/include the resistor required for the Raduino?
--
Dan Reynolds -- KB9JLO
<><

Jim Sheldon

The internal keyer is part of the operational software in the uBITX.  We now have it working and the operational software that Ron, W2CTX and I wrote has been released as of about 6 p.m. today.  

Jim

GM JIm,

GL

72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.
www.wa0itp.com
www.4sqrp.com
GM Yvon,

Jim - W0EB

Jim,

Thanks,   73.
Yvon NU6I