Newbie Looking for Kit Recommendation

Casey

Three Kits that come to mind.....
1) NS-40,  the None-Simpler Transmitter
2) 4S-Tuner, easy to build and very useful
3) QRPometer, a handy shack accessory
4) Cricket Transceiver, several Bands avail.

Depending on Item, these are available
from 4SQP or the original Kit Designer.

Philip Karras <ke3fl@...>

Look at 4sqrp four state QRP club.

73 de KE3FL,
Phil

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 7:38 PM, Curt via groups.io
<wb8yyy@...> wrote:
Let's see if I mention other kit providers i might get in trouble here, so I will be generic and say there are a few kit providers in US. I remember Doug Hendricks once giving a specific progression from simple to more complex, to outfit a qrp station.

A digital keyed is a nice start. Few parts, no toroid.

Then another accessory or a simple receiver.

Maybe a manual antenna tuner, yes a nice one at 4 state as well as above items.

I would progress to a simple transceiver, but watch complexity the most popular one now sold from overseas I suggest may be too challenging until you have built some others.

Test equipment kits seem too scarce now.

Enjoy your progression, don't lament what kits are extinct since there seem to be opportunities still.

73 curt wb8yyy

Curt

Let's see if I mention other kit providers i might get in trouble here, so I will be generic and say there are a few kit providers in US. I remember Doug Hendricks once giving a specific progression from simple to more complex, to outfit a qrp station.

A digital keyed is a nice start. Few parts, no toroid.

Then another accessory or a simple receiver.

Maybe a manual antenna tuner, yes a nice one at 4 state as well as above items.

I would progress to a simple transceiver, but watch complexity the most popular one now sold from overseas I suggest may be too challenging until you have built some others.

Test equipment kits seem too scarce now.

Enjoy your progression, don't lament what kits are extinct since there seem to be opportunities still.

73 curt wb8yyy

W3BNO

I have built and use all three Hilltoppers transceivers. In my opinion they offer the best performance for the cost. They are not overly difficult to build and all have very good well documented manuals. The circuitry is also well proven design and the board layout is not too crowded. If you take your time and follow the instructions in the order presented in the manual you really can't go wrong. Note the components are sorted into groups that mimic the order of installation in the manual. In addition the designer Dave Benson is really good about answering questions if you have a problem. I use mine to primarily rag chew  on CW while operating portable. Good luck and I look forward to having a Hilltoppers to Hilltoppers QSO.     73s jJohn W3BNO

On Feb 17, 2021, at 11:30 AM, N8KDC <N8KDC@...> wrote:

Just received a new soldering station but NO experience with soldering circuit type items. Advancing my CW skills and want to try QRP with one of the 4SQRP kits. Thinking 40m with either the Hilltopper or the Cricket. Learning so open to advice.

Carl Gansen

I agree with Johnny. The SSCPO is a great kit and having a code oscillator around can be handy.  I bought a SSCPO a couple years ago to teach my grandson how to solder and give him some practice following instructions.  It was a great success. It is a simple, low cost, low risk but high benefit kit.

Carl WB0CFF

Clark WU4B

Hi, Ken.

Sounds like you're just starting out on a great hobby: building and operating.  For many of us on this group, there is no finer enjoyment than operating what one has built.  A couple of thoughts:

1) If you've not soldered before, get one of the simplest kits (like the Cricket) to learn.  If you can find a local ham to look over your shoulder while soldering and give some guidance, that would be fine.  Soldering is easy once your get the hang of it.  Although I haven't checked, I'm sure there are lots of YouTube videos on how to solder, and there IS a wrong way to do it.

2)  Johnny mentioned the Cricket as a starter.  I've built the Hilltopper and it is a great radio, but probably not the best first rig to learn on.  The Cricket is fun and easy to cut your teeth on soldering.  Then you could reward yourself with a Hilltopper!

3)  This group is so helpful when having problems, too, so don't hesitate to ask.  We've all been where you are starting (me: 50 years ago).

Clark WU4B

Johnny AC0BQ

Good afternoon
Do your self a favor, start simple.
Try a Sscpo practice oscillator for soldering practice, then move up to say a Ozark patrol or a Cricket?

The Hilltopper is a nice transceiver but it’s not exactly for a beginner.
Ps
I would have replied with you name, but I didn’t see it in the email?

Good luck,
73
Johnny ACØBQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com