Mobile and home antenna?

Curt

Even arrl is offering a efhw kit for 40m and up. Myantennas also sells them. Qrp only recipes are out there. They can be erected other ways besides horizontal but the feed end does need to be elevated. Note those pricey cushcraft verticals are really efhw with traps.

Curt

Rick

We used the MFJ 1984mp end-fed half-wave antenna for field day 2 years ago and I was pretty impressed. Nothing beats wire in the air!
It was hung up high on the side of an RV, went to a 20" telescoping pole in the middle and about 15' high at the far end. It tuned up great on all the HF bands except 30 meters. About 15' of coax to the radio.
Its not one of those "fancy super duper pack-up miracle" antennas, but at 80 bucks a piece you could leave the one up at home and have another stashed in the RV.

David Lininger

Of course, if the RV is parked in your driveway, you can set your shack
up in it, including the antenna outside. When it is time to travel
everything is already aboard.

On 13/6/21 7:20, Curt via groups.io wrote:
Doc

If you can sufficiently hide your home antenna, you won't want to be
frequently moving it. An efhw sized for 40m would work nicely, they can
be oriented various ways, but of course needs 60 some feet total. Might
be preferable by neighbors to RV antenna if it stayed in your driveway.
So I am thinking 2 different antennas.

Curt
--
David Lininger, kb0zke
Rev. 2:10

Curt

Doc

If you can sufficiently hide your home antenna, you won't want to be frequently moving it. An efhw sized for 40m would work nicely, they can be oriented various ways, but of course needs 60 some feet total. Might be preferable by neighbors to RV antenna if it stayed in your driveway. So I am thinking 2 different antennas.

Curt

David Wilcox K8WPE

And don’t forget the old HOA/mobile trick, a mobile antenna on your car parked in the driveway.  It’s portable and I have never heard of a HOA rule against it. A screwdriver antenna on a car rear bumper or even a triple magmount works well. The larger the car the bigger the ground plane or run a wire from the frame and unroll it out of the trunk to whatever length you need. This works in National or State parks where you can’t use a tree or put a stake in the ground. You can even run a control wire along with the coax to your operating position (garage or lenai).

Dave K8WPE
David J. Wilcox’s iPad

On Jun 12, 2021, at 4:03 PM, Mlike McEwen <michael.t.mcewen@...> wrote:

Due to some medical issues, a new residence with HOA limits, and obtaining an RV, my operating options have changed. "Simplify" is the key concept.  Having used various wire, beam, and verticals over the years, I have a decent experience base.  Now I think I am ready for mobile (vertical?) that I can move from home to RV as needed.

I understand the limits but I am not a contester or DX seeker...I am casual "ham."

What are some suggestions for a 20/40 that might do the trick and not be hard to move back and forth? The moving would only be two or three times a month.

73, Doc K5OSA

Jim Upson

Hi again,

I enjoy Tom Witherspoon’s blog and videos....as he demonstrates many antenna and radios...

One that has my attention (actually several) are antennas from Chameleon....very pricy, but built tough.  MPAS Lite seems super simple to set up....if you can get past the price....

Look around Tom’s blogs and videos....here’s one blog and I’ll find one with a video too....

https://qrper.com/2020/12/pota-field-report-ernest-f-hollings-ace-basin-national-wildlife-refuge-k-0520/

next blog with a video....to see the antenna skip to about the 6-minute Mark:
https://qrper.com/2021/03/sota-field-report-activating-lane-pinnacle-with-the-elecraft-kx2-and-cha-mpas-lite/

there is a MPAS 2.0 version with different style whips...but the setup for MPAS Lite would be the same....he set it up very early on in the video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rsBRvnXH6dE

Jim /AC3B

Jeffrey Parker

Had one of those on my Jeep. It'll handle 100 watts only pain is moving the jumper wire had to use a cheat sheet. Antenna not marked. Works well.

On Sat, Jun 12, 2021, 7:07 PM Jim Upson <jim72upson@...> wrote:
I don’t own one of these....but it sounds like it might be an option for you??

https://oh8stn.org/blog/2021/06/11/super-antenna-mp1-quick-n-dirty-no-radial-deployment/

be sure to scroll down to Julian’s video where he tells more about it and shows it in use....

Regardless, I hope to hear your final solution...
73, Jim/AC3B

John - KK4ITX

Mike,

Been there and still there !  I was a Full Time RVer wintering in an HOA in Florida and traveling in the summer before Ham Radio entered my life..  I have found the most versatile setup is a 9:1 UnUn or any EFHW and it’s certainly the cheapest.  Using a “crappie” fish pole 20-30 ft allows for some very easy and creative setups.  QRP Guys has several EFHW kits that have worked very well for me.  Simply change the wire for your desired frequency or sometimes I just use the 40m wire and let the tuner handle the rest.

I have and still use a Wolf River Coil and it works quite good with a 8ft antenna but manual tuning has to be done at the antenna.  I also have an antenna matcher from Alpha Antenna that usually tunes from your radio or tuner for most bands fro 80-6, it is somewhat pricey but it works well.

I am currently experimenting with a homemade loop and that shows promise especially for portable use, next week I will be using/testing it on Wells, ME Beach.

I guess the real thing is to try several approaches and use the one OR two or more that works for you.  When I travel I carry 4-6 antennas with me because not all locations can use the same antenna except the loop which is not as efficient as most other options.

Fun stuff antennas, enjoy and if you don’t have a 4S tuner this would be a great time.

John
KK4ITX

Visit:  www.zaarc.org.   👁

Jim Upson

I don’t own one of these....but it sounds like it might be an option for you??

https://oh8stn.org/blog/2021/06/11/super-antenna-mp1-quick-n-dirty-no-radial-deployment/

be sure to scroll down to Julian’s video where he tells more about it and shows it in use....

Regardless, I hope to hear your final solution...
73, Jim/AC3B

David Lininger

Just checked both Amazon and eBay. Both have it in stock for $85.00.

Lots of high recommendations.

On 12/6/21 14:45, Viktors Miske wrote:
I'm in almost identical situation. Been studying the  OPEK HVT-400B
HF/VHF Multi-Band Mobile Antenna.
Sold on Amazon, probably find on Ebay. Runs about 85 bucks. Only thing
is you need to manually switch bands.
--
David Lininger, kb0zke
Rev. 2:10

Viktors Miske

I'm in almost identical situation. Been studying the  OPEK HVT-400B HF/VHF Multi-Band Mobile Antenna.
Sold on Amazon, probably find on Ebay. Runs about 85 bucks. Only thing is you need to manually switch bands.

Mlike McEwen