Cricket Case

Aaron K5ATG

Has anyone come up with a case for the Crickets?

Lloyd Sumpter

I just bought a plastic case that was "about the right size" (had to cut off about 1/4" off the one side of the PC board), made slots for the headphone and antenna connectors, soldered wires to the key contacts, used a 9V connector for the battery wired to a DC socket, and Good To Go! I have to take the top off to get at the crystal and on/off switch, but the case protects the Cricket when travelling.

Lloyd VA7LAS

On 2022-08-02 18:46, Aaron K5ATG via groups.io wrote:

Has anyone come up with a case for the Crickets?

Timothy Harper

I am looking at using Kydex and forming a case for the Cricket.
And a Companion Crickey case.
Any ideas?

On Tue, Aug 2, 2022, 20:48 Aaron K5ATG via groups.io <k5atg=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Has anyone come up with a case for the Crickets?

Aaron K5ATG

My buddy wants to make some using Kydex or something like that. I have no experience with it. My Crickets remain on display in my shack. To me the simplicity of the design, the three spiral inductors framed by the battery, and the raised sculptures that are made up of electronic components make it a piece of electronic and technological artwork.
My buddy wants to put his in a case but does not have the time to do it so he asked me to see what ideas that myself and others can come up with.

Aaron K5ATG

Yeah Tim is the buddy I am talking about lol

AA4K-Jamie Lilly

GM all….
This is my “cricket case”. Just a Chinese food take out container that was a pretty close fit. I swaddle the radio in a rag to help protect it a bit.  One of these days I’ll get brave enough to try to check into the net with it. I get too much broadcast tv (I think) interference to feel comfortable copying Johnny.
72
Jamie AA4Kimage0.jpegimage1.jpeg

On Aug 2, 2022, at 9:48 PM, Aaron K5ATG via groups.io <k5atg@...> wrote:

Yeah Tim is the buddy I am talking about lol

Mlike McEwen

Simple solutions are often elegant!  Doc K5OSA

On Aug 2, 2022, at 9:48 PM, Aaron K5ATG via groups.io <k5atg=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Yeah Tim is the buddy I am talking about lol

Lee

And delicious!! I carry the smell of potstickers with me on portable ops.............72 de Lee KX4TT

Simple solutions are often elegant!  Doc K5OSA

This is my “cricket case”. Just a Chinese food take out container that was a pretty close fit. Jamie AA4K

Timothy Harper

Here is my first cardstock mockup of a Cricket case. I plan on making it out of Kydex, a plastic sheet you can mold with heat. The Cricket is 1¼" tall with the short square rubber footings, this cardboard mock up is based on a 1½" mold. I can shorten it.
I will punch holes for the antenna jack, speaker and other cables.
Tell me what you think.
Tin W5TAH

On Wed, Aug 3, 2022, 11:18 Mlike McEwen <k5osamce@...> wrote:
Simple solutions are often elegant!  Doc K5OSA

On Wed, Aug 3, 2022 at 6:09 AM AA4K-Jamie Lilly <jlilly@...> wrote:
GM all….
This is my “cricket case”. Just a Chinese food take out container that was a pretty close fit. I swaddle the radio in a rag to help protect it a bit.  One of these days I’ll get brave enough to try to check into the net with it. I get too much broadcast tv (I think) interference to feel comfortable copying Johnny.
72
Jamie AA4Kimage0.jpegimage1.jpeg

On Aug 2, 2022, at 9:48 PM, Aaron K5ATG via groups.io <k5atg=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Yeah Tim is the buddy I am talking about lol

Tom Sevart

On 8/2/2022 20:46, Aaron K5ATG via groups.io wrote:
Has anyone come up with a case for the Crickets?
My first one, an original Cricket 80, was built into a wooden box. My Cricket 30 was installed in an old A/B computer peripheral switchbox case.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Johnny AC0BQ

Very nice Tom.
Good job!
Johnny ACØBQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Tom Sevart

On 8/3/2022 18:15, Johnny AC0BQ wrote:
Very nice Tom.
Good job!
Thanks, Johnny. I forgot to mention that with the Cricket 30 I designed the top of the case to be able to flip up so changing the battery is much more convenient.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Aaron K5ATG

I've thought about using a rotary switch to go through different crystals. Is it hard to set up?

Tom Sevart

On 8/3/2022 21:49, Aaron K5ATG via groups.io wrote:
I've thought about using a rotary switch to go through different crystals. Is it hard to set up?
No, not really. I soldered the crystals to the tabs on the back of the switch. It's a 12 position switch but selectable from 2-12 positions. I just used 6 positions, since I had 5 30 meter crystals and 1 for 10.000.

I just soldered one leg of each crystal to the tabs and the other legs together, then kept the leads as short as possible running one to the switch common lug and another to the connected crystal leads, and then those wires to the spot on the board where the crystal would be soldered.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

W6BOW

Tom,

No rotary switch here. One could be incorporated with ease.

This is my "plug and play" alternative. The variable "rubberizes" the xtals.

No Rotary.jpeg
NS-40

W6BOW