A simple frequency spotting modification kit for legacy Bayou Jumpers.


Jim, N5IB
 

Mot a "mod" but rather an accessory...
look at:
https://qsl.net/n5ib/ or https://qsl.net/n5ib/Crystal_Spotter_Instructions.pdf

Easy, easy scratch build...... y'all could lobby 4SQRP for a kit "^))

Jim, N5IB


Johnny AC0BQ
 

Gm All
If your interested in this 
I will try to sway the kit committee to 
Join in?

They shouldn’t be very expensive if we 
Do 100 or so at a time?

Jim designs good stuff!
72
Johnny ACØBQ 

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 9:53 AM Jim, N5IB <n5ib@...> wrote:
Mot a "mod" but rather an accessory...
look at:
https://qsl.net/n5ib/   or   https://qsl.net/n5ib/Crystal_Spotter_Instructions.pdf

Easy, easy scratch build......  y'all could lobby 4SQRP for a kit  "^))

Jim, N5IB





--
Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com


Jess Gypin
 

I bought one off of eBay for $10.00. Works great. Fits inside the box with the lid closed 

On Jan 6, 2021, at 10:01 AM, Johnny AC0BQ <jomatlock@...> wrote:


Gm All
If your interested in this 
I will try to sway the kit committee to 
Join in?

They shouldn’t be very expensive if we 
Do 100 or so at a time?

Jim designs good stuff!
72
Johnny ACØBQ 

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 9:53 AM Jim, N5IB <n5ib@...> wrote:
Mot a "mod" but rather an accessory...
look at:
https://qsl.net/n5ib/   or   https://qsl.net/n5ib/Crystal_Spotter_Instructions.pdf

Easy, easy scratch build......  y'all could lobby 4SQRP for a kit  "^))

Jim, N5IB





--
Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com


Peter Dehman
 

Count me in!!

de WA1ISA

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 12:01 PM Johnny AC0BQ <jomatlock@...> wrote:
Gm All
If your interested in this 
I will try to sway the kit committee to 
Join in?

They shouldn’t be very expensive if we 
Do 100 or so at a time?

Jim designs good stuff!
72
Johnny ACØBQ 

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 9:53 AM Jim, N5IB <n5ib@...> wrote:
Mot a "mod" but rather an accessory...
look at:
https://qsl.net/n5ib/   or   https://qsl.net/n5ib/Crystal_Spotter_Instructions.pdf

Easy, easy scratch build......  y'all could lobby 4SQRP for a kit  "^))

Jim, N5IB





--
Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com


Jeff, K9JP
 

Hello Jess Gypin,

What might the eBay link be for the crystal spotter you purchased for $10?

Jim, N5IB would you allow the 4SQRP group to sell either the PC board or a kit for your Crystal Spotter?  I built one myself with your help and guidance when the Bayou Jumper was first released. Etching my own board back then was fun and it took a few tries to find get it correctly etched.  I would guess some may not want to try to etch a board.

73, Jeff K9JP


On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 12:34 PM Jess Gypin <ontarget1911@...> wrote:
I bought one off of eBay for $10.00. Works great. Fits inside the box with the lid closed 

On Jan 6, 2021, at 10:01 AM, Johnny AC0BQ <jomatlock@...> wrote:


Gm All
If your interested in this 
I will try to sway the kit committee to 
Join in?

They shouldn’t be very expensive if we 
Do 100 or so at a time?

Jim designs good stuff!
72
Johnny ACØBQ 

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 9:53 AM Jim, N5IB <n5ib@...> wrote:
Mot a "mod" but rather an accessory...
look at:
https://qsl.net/n5ib/   or   https://qsl.net/n5ib/Crystal_Spotter_Instructions.pdf

Easy, easy scratch build......  y'all could lobby 4SQRP for a kit  "^))

Jim, N5IB





--
Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com



--
Do Something Nice for Someone Else Today.
73 and ZUT (CW forever)


Everett Catlin <everettcatlin@...>
 

Count me in also N5MZX


OwlCricker - K7ULM
 

This would be a great project


Johnny AC0BQ
 


Good afternoon All
Give us a few days and we will pull together a mini kit for you.

I think this will be easier than ordering all the individual boards?

They shouldn’t be very pricey?

72
Johnny 

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 5:06 PM OwlCricker - K7ULM <dickw299@...> wrote:
This would be a great project

--
Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com


Bob Parr
 

What exactly does a crystal spotter do?
 
Bob
KG5GTE

> Mot a "mod" but rather an accessory...
> look at:
>
> Easy, easy scratch build......  y'all could lobby 4SQRP for a kit
> "^))
>
> Jim, N5IB
>
>
>


Timothy East
 

That would be super!!!!

Tim
K0EMP 


On Jan 6, 2021, at 17:09, Johnny AC0BQ <jomatlock@...> wrote:



Good afternoon All
Give us a few days and we will pull together a mini kit for you.

I think this will be easier than ordering all the individual boards?

They shouldn’t be very pricey?

72
Johnny 

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 5:06 PM OwlCricker - K7ULM <dickw299@...> wrote:
This would be a great project

--
Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com


Doug Dukes
 

I am not sure even what this is.... but if it is for the Bayou Jumper..... count me in.


 

I would like to report how I frequency spot with my original BJ. I have used the methods described in the instructions (putting the crystal across the antenna input and listening for the heterodyne with the key down in RX). Listening to the heterodyne with the key down in RX is easier than removing the antenna connection and the crystal each to time spot. The problem with my BJ is that the heterodyne whistling zones are far apart and the dead zone is wide. 
I happen to have an old Whiterook Mini-Keyer Model MK-60MB. It contains the Embedded Research chip "Tick-2". First I used it as an iambic keyer to solve the no sidetone issue and it worked well. I then decided to put it in straight key mode while using a straight key.  It also worked well. I then noticed that when I held the straight key down in the RX BJ mode I heard a very, loud heterodyne. It is not only loud but the whistling zones are close with a very small dead zone. Using a second rig and having many BJ QSOs I find that I can not only pick out my transmit frequency very accurately (both upper and lower sideband) but I can also repeat the spotting easily without removing the antenna or even adjusting my Atten or Regen. This certainly helps as my BJ has a mild drift.

I mention this not to have BJ owners buy a Tick-2 keyer (although if you have one laying around give it a try) but to perhaps figure out why it works so well and develop a simple and better frequency spotting mechanism. 

I have the original BJ and I of course did the Keyer mod with TIP42G as seen in the new BJ Rev B instruction manual appendix K

If any of the builders are interested I would be happy to make any measurements needed to find out why it works. 

72
Peter
AA2VG

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 11:20 AM Doug Dukes <dougdukes@...> wrote:
I am not sure even what this is.... but if it is for the Bayou Jumper..... count me in.


--
Peter S. DeLuca
AA2VG


Hinds, Don
 

Inquiring minds want to know...but I'm in

WD4ON


On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 11:20 AM Doug Dukes <dougdukes@...> wrote:
I am not sure even what this is.... but if it is for the Bayou Jumper..... count me in.


John Parker
 

Count me in as well!

John WH6DQU 

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 3:52 PM Hinds, Don <hindsdw@...> wrote:
Inquiring minds want to know...but I'm in

WD4ON

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 11:20 AM Doug Dukes <dougdukes@...> wrote:
I am not sure even what this is.... but if it is for the Bayou Jumper..... count me in.


cornhusker
 

Me too.  I'd like a kit!   Put me on the list.  
De K0NEB 


On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 12:08 PM, John Parker
<parkjv1@...> wrote:
Count me in as well!

John WH6DQU 

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 3:52 PM Hinds, Don <hindsdw@...> wrote:
Inquiring minds want to know...but I'm in

WD4ON

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 11:20 AM Doug Dukes <dougdukes@...> wrote:
I am not sure even what this is.... but if it is for the Bayou Jumper..... count me in.


Joshua Wood
 

Put me down for a kit when they're available!

~Josh
W0ODJ


Dave TRX
 

+1 here.  


Gary Babcock <garybabcock69@...>
 

Let's not get in too big of a hurry on this event folks.... I have not got my Jumper built yet ~~~~~ LOL !!
Gary - W5GNB


On Saturday, January 9, 2021, 09:43:11 PM MST, Dave TRX <dave.w5trx@...> wrote:


+1 here.