Topics

[ADV] [4SQRP] LD5 transceiver

jrdock@ckt.net
 

Randy, if you have not already done so, clean the contracts on your paddle.  If they are silver alloy they tend to tarnish which will cause the skip.

Jack  WD0CFH 


Pro

Jack R. Dock ... How about we give GOD a reason to continue blessing America?  In defense of America I pledge my life, my fortune and my sacred honor.
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.
"A veteran is someone who at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America for any amount, up to and including their life."
                                                 

On Feb 5, 2020, at 8:15 PM, Scott WZØW <scott@...> wrote:

Hi all,
Does anyone else in the group have any experience with the LD5 xcvr from LNR Precision? I've had one for about three years, and I can't quite get the CW keyer to work well. It skips dits and dahs frequently and I have to work my paddles pretty hard to keep that behavior to a minimum. It also works a little better if I run it at full power, but then it reports a power output of about 8 watts, so a bit outside the QRP limits.

If anyone had used this rig and has any tips for making it work better on CW, I'd appreciate it. Aside from this issue, it's a handy little 5 band, all mode unit that could be great for portable operation.

Scott WZ0W
--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Kent Trimble, K9ZTV
 

As Jack suggests, CLEAN but do not abrade, file, or in any other way damage the silvering on those contacts. 

73,

Kent  K9ZTV

On Feb 6, 2020, at 8:57 AM, "jrdock@..." <jrdock@...> wrote:

Randy, if you have not already done so, clean the contracts on your paddle.  If they are silver alloy they tend to tarnish which will cause the skip.

Jack  WD0CFH 


Pro

Jack R. Dock ... How about we give GOD a reason to continue blessing America?  In defense of America I pledge my life, my fortune and my sacred honor.
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.
"A veteran is someone who at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America for any amount, up to and including their life."
                                                 

On Feb 5, 2020, at 8:15 PM, Scott WZØW <scott@...> wrote:

Hi all,
Does anyone else in the group have any experience with the LD5 xcvr from LNR Precision? I've had one for about three years, and I can't quite get the CW keyer to work well. It skips dits and dahs frequently and I have to work my paddles pretty hard to keep that behavior to a minimum. It also works a little better if I run it at full power, but then it reports a power output of about 8 watts, so a bit outside the QRP limits.

If anyone had used this rig and has any tips for making it work better on CW, I'd appreciate it. Aside from this issue, it's a handy little 5 band, all mode unit that could be great for portable operation.

Scott WZ0W
--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Jeff Logullo N0̸MII
 

...and you traditionally do this by pulling a clean thin strip of white paper between the contacts a few times, as you gently press them closed.

As Jack suggests, CLEAN but do not abrade, file, or in any other way damage the silvering on those contacts. 

Randy, if you have not already done so, clean the contracts on your paddle.  If they are silver alloy they tend to tarnish which will cause the skip.



--
Jeff N0̷MII

Scott WZØW
 

Thanks, I have tried this. However, I get the same issue with at least three sets of paddles, and the paddles all work fine on my Yaesu radio.

I feel like the keying envelope is too "soft" or the rise time too slow. Instead of a nice solid dah or dit, it feels more like wah and whiff, if that makes sense.

Scott WZ0W


On February 6, 2020 11:07:23 AM CST, "Jeff Logullo N0̸MII" <jeff@...> wrote:
...and you traditionally do this by pulling a clean thin strip of white paper between the contacts a few times, as you gently press them closed.

As Jack suggests, CLEAN but do not abrade, file, or in any other way damage the silvering on those contacts. 

Randy, if you have not already done so, clean the contracts on your paddle.  If they are silver alloy they tend to tarnish which will cause the skip.



--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

John - KK4ITX
 

Scott,

I myself don’t use a keyer because I’m trying to learn CW with a mechanical device with timing that I “control” ...... but it’s sketchy !!

Anyway, I have tried the built in keyers on several of my rigs, they all seem to have different feels to them and one rig just doesn’t cut it.  From what I’ve read this is normal behavior.  Is it possible that something happened to the keyer ?  Seems from what you say that’s a likely cause.

Perhaps a question to the manufacturer would be in order ?

When my dits and dahs don’t come out exactly the way I want them I have to get up and walk around the room, take a break and try again..... HI.

Good luck,

John
KK4ITX 


Visit:  www.zaarc.org.   👁

On Feb 6, 2020, at 18:01, Scott WZØW <scott@...> wrote:

Thanks, I have tried this. However, I get the same issue with at least three sets of paddles, and the paddles all work fine on my Yaesu radio.

I feel like the keying envelope is too "soft" or the rise time too slow. Instead of a nice solid dah or dit, it feels more like wah and whiff, if that makes sense.

Scott WZ0W

On February 6, 2020 11:07:23 AM CST, "Jeff Logullo N0̸MII" <jeff@...> wrote:
...and you traditionally do this by pulling a clean thin strip of white paper between the contacts a few times, as you gently press them closed.

As Jack suggests, CLEAN but do not abrade, file, or in any other way damage the silvering on those contacts. 

Randy, if you have not already done so, clean the contracts on your paddle.  If they are silver alloy they tend to tarnish which will cause the skip.



--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Jeff Logullo N0̸MII
 

You might try switching between Iambic mode A and mode B and see if it makes a difference for you. You may be used to another keyer's timing...

--
Jeff N0̷MII