Topics

Another QRP transceiver

Jim Sheldon

4 Staters, I Just came across something called the uBitX (for micro BitX) transceiver. It claims 10 watts nominal out on SSB/CW with pretty much general coverage 80-10 meters and differs from the monoband BitX rigs out there now. Because it uses the Si5351 synthesizer chip, it isn't capable of 160 meter operation just like QRP-Labs QCX monobanders. I saw a reference to it on one of the Facebook groups I frequent and being intrigued, I did a bit of checking. It's listed right now for $109 in a partially built kit (no case, no microphone and maybe a few other things) shipped by India post which may take a couple months to get. They also claim that for 10 bucks more you can get it sent by DHL with full tracking and it should arrive in 7 days or less. I looked over their groups.io reflector and find that the $109 price is only through Christmas when they will increase it to $129.

According to the HF Signals website, www.hfsignals.com, the main PC board is wired, aligned & tested and the kit builder has to find a case and wire up all the controls & jacks plus mount it in whatever case you select to cut and drill holes in to fit it. (Sometimes not an easy task for some of us.)

I had a bit of Christmas money in my PayPal toy fund so I decided to take a chance and order one of them. I opted for the DHL shipping. Looking at the size of the PC board (6" X 5.5") I came to the conclusion it won't fit the 4SQRP medium (Red) enclosure but it WILL fit the large purple one with a bit of room to spare. Having one of those on hand, I'll build it into the big box when (if) it gets here. Fortunately, they use PayPal so if something goes wrong and I don't get it, I'll be able to get my money back eventually.

I thought I'd mention this to the group in case some other brave soul out there might want to take a chance & attempt putting one of these together. Since there's not a lot of documentation and no real help available on it and I haven't even seen one yet, unless, like I did, you just want to take a $109 or $119 chance, to save $10 or $20 on one, I'd recommend holding off until more info is available. Time to enter "research" mode and start digging for more info. I'm volunteering to be the guinea pig in this case and just reporting on what I'm doing to help others and keep them from having to "reinvent the wheel" so to speak. As Wayne Green, W2NSD (SK) of 73 magazine fame used to say, "Caveat Emptor" (let the buyer beware).

What is available (schematic, wiring diagram, etc.) is currently on the hfsignals.com website and a google search of ubitx does find bits and pieces of further info.

Jim, W0EB

Ross Henderson

Hey Jim, let me know how it turns out. Maybe something I could use. KG5OED

On Sunday, December 10, 2017, 8:12:39 AM CST, Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:

[...]

Tim McDonough N9PUZ

I have seen a couple of their 40M SSB monobanders (~$50US) and they seem to be a great value. This new uBitX looks very intriguing.

Tim N9PUZ

On 12/10/2017 8:12 AM, Jim Sheldon wrote:
[...]

Tim, Ross and all you others not sitting on a cushion,

Looks like some interesting stuff coming out of India these days. Mostly started with the SSB 6.1 for me. I originally tried to use the small DDS VFO (that I later found out was designed specifically for the SSB 6.1) to drive the Bayou Jumper's TX and later the retired 4S kit, the SS-40 RX/TX with some success. I actually managed to build the receiver part of the 6.1 and get it working. I have a second 6.1 kit that I may try to complete later, but then this uBitX reared it's head.

I'm actively looking for nice things to put in the various 4S enclosure kits and write up the process to help get the word out to the rest of the world regarding the usefulness of these easy to build & use enclosures. So far, I have an SSB 6.1 RX in the red box and a QCX40 in the smaller blue one. When I get the uBitX it's going in the large purple one. Haven't quite figured out just what to put in the "Mini" black one yet - LOL. Oh yes, I have a second QCX coming and I'll shoehorn that one into a blue enclosure as well just to try and prove to myself the first success wasn't merely an accident 🤓

Jim

On Dec 10, 2017, at 9:09 AM, Tim McDonough N9PUZ <tim.n9puz@...> wrote:

[...]

WA0ITP <wa0itp@...>

Way to go Jim!  You are a busy guy.  Thanks for using the 4 State enclosures.
72 WAØITP
Back to the bench, Winter is too valuable to waste.
I love this radio stuff.
On 12/10/2017 9:48 AM, Jim Sheldon wrote:

[...]

Everett Catlin

Off Topic

Can you please explain to a computer illiterate person how to form my e mail to the group alli get is bounce messages
thank you everettcatlin@... I am so dumb when it comes to changes
73
Everett