Topics

Another $S-QRP station is born

jimford80041 <ejim@...>

Finished up the NS-40 today. This was the last of the 3 kits I was building, including the SS-40 and Magic Box. The easiest was saved for last, but wouldn't you know, it gave me the most trouble! The other 2 kits went together with no problem, and I reported earlier just how sensitive and stable the receiver is.

I have some questions about the transmitter.

1) I get 9 watts out. Is this normal? I was expecting a
little lower. Don't want to have a short lived P.A.

2) I would like to build another NS-40, but for 7.040.
Will the board inductors support this frequency? There is nothing
to peak or align so I was wondering how critical the
circuit is.

Need to build a couple more cables and we should be on the air.

Jim - KG0PP

WA0ITP

Congratulations Jim, well done.

Early NS-40s' developed quite a bit of power, some even up to 12 Watts!!
However in a high swr situation they won't live long at that level. They'll get
real hot - real fast. Are you running all three kits from a 13.8 volt supply?
If so I'd advise reducing that to 12 volts, If not then reduce the voltage to
the NS-40. Maybe a dropping resistor of about 5 ohms and a 3-5 W rating between
it and the power supply. Dave may jump in here also, he's the authority.

The NS-40 will work across the entire 40M CW Band. A number of them have been
used at 7122.

Good luck and enjoy the Four State Trio on the air.

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72 WA�ITP
www.qrpspots.com

| Finished up the NS-40 today. This was the last of the 3 kits I was building,
including the SS-40 and Magic Box. The easiest was saved for last, but wouldn't
you know, it gave me the most trouble! The other 2 kits went together with no
problem, and I reported earlier just how sensitive and stable the receiver is.

| I have some questions about the transmitter.
|
| 1) I get 9 watts out. Is this normal? I was expecting a
| little lower. Don't want to have a short lived P.A.
|
| 2) I would like to build another NS-40, but for 7.040.
| Will the board inductors support this frequency? There is nothing
| to peak or align so I was wondering how critical the
| circuit is.
|
| Need to build a couple more cables and we should be on the air.
|
| Jim - KG0PP

Ga Jim
Congrats on your new projects.
Please post some pics do we can see you progress. Get them cabled up spot your self on qrp spots and we will see if we work you!
72
Good luck, good building
Johnny AC0BQ

On Wednesday, February 27, 2013, jimford80041 wrote:

Finished up the NS-40 today. This was the last of the 3 kits I was building, including the SS-40 and Magic Box. The easiest was saved for last, but wouldn't you know, it gave me the most trouble! The other 2 kits went together with no problem, and I reported earlier just how sensitive and stable the receiver is.

I have some questions about the transmitter.

1) I get 9 watts out. Is this normal? I was expecting a
little lower. Don't want to have a short lived P.A.

2) I would like to build another NS-40, but for 7.040.
Will the board inductors support this frequency? There is nothing
to peak or align so I was wondering how critical the
circuit is.

Need to build a couple more cables and we should be on the air.

Jim - KG0PP

W0IIT

Jim,

Sounds like you have been having fun building 4sqrp kits. To answer your NS-40 questions.

Yes, 9 watts out is pretty standard. If you want to stay with the 5 watts or less for qrp you can lower the voltage until you get to those lower output limits and it will also put less load on your output transistor.

Yes going to 7.040 is perfectly acceptable. Don't want to hurt kit sales but you could just swap out the xtals when you were wanting to go to 7.040 or rig a dual xtal setup as many have done.

Good luck with setting up the cables and getting on the air with your setup!!

cu es 72, Bart W0IIT
Pittsburg, KS

Dg Arnholt <dgarnholt@...>

the only problem i see is 7040 always has this s9 carrier even in day time with me.. or if it stops it begins or someone keeps tuning undecided whats up with that.. parts of the day i can use it.. used to use it all the time 30 years ago.

[...]

Nick-WA5BDU

I hear that a lot too.  Usually not S9 here, so you must be much closer.  I think it's a digital signal, not a carrier.  But it sure picked an unfortunate spot to park full time.

OK, there it is.  About S4 right now in Russellville, AR.

73,

Nick, WA5BDU

On 2/27/2013 6:08 PM, Dg Arnholt wrote:

the only problem i see is 7040 always has this s9 carrier even in day time with me.. or if it stops it begins or someone keeps tuning undecided whats up with that.. parts of the day i can use it.. used to use it all the time 30 years ago.

flsaas

Slightly off this topic but-
Those "carriers" that you hear just slightly north of 7.040 are WSPR stations, they transmit for 1:55 minutes on the even minute  and then receive for X multiples of 2 minutes.  It's too bad they had to settle that close to 7.040, which is why I have gone back to 7.030.  Nothing against WSPR though, I really get into it every now and then, I'm constantly amazed that 100mw can make it into Europe and South America.  I think the WSPR community should move in my opinion further up the band.

Fred
WA8PGE
pigrig 46