Topics

Anyone else watch "Young Sheldon" on CBS?

Paul Goemans

Good morning!
  I watched “Young Sheldon” as usual last night. Was surprised to see Dr. Sturgis introduce Sheldon to shortwave listening, so they could hear the Nobel Prize announcement directly from Sweden! He had an old Capehart SW table radio connected to a mag loop antenna on a tripod! Did anyone recognize the mag loop maker?

Paul Goemans WA9PWP
Stoughton, WI

Tim McDonough N9PUZ

I did not recognize the manufacturer but I did notice that the tripod holding it looked a little "modern".

Tim N9PUZ

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 8:56 AM Paul Goemans <wa9pwp@...> wrote:
Good morning!
  I watched “Young Sheldon” as usual last night. Was surprised to see Dr. Sturgis introduce Sheldon to shortwave listening, so they could hear the Nobel Prize announcement directly from Sweden! He had an old Capehart SW table radio connected to a mag loop antenna on a tripod! Did anyone recognize the mag loop maker?

Paul Goemans WA9PWP
Stoughton, WI

Paul Smith

I did not know the brand on the loop but that was the first thing I spotted.
Paul

Sent from Outlook

I did not recognize the manufacturer but I did notice that the tripod holding it looked a little "modern".

Tim N9PUZ

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 8:56 AM Paul Goemans <wa9pwp@...> wrote:
Good morning!
  I watched “Young Sheldon” as usual last night. Was surprised to see Dr. Sturgis introduce Sheldon to shortwave listening, so they could hear the Nobel Prize announcement directly from Sweden! He had an old Capehart SW table radio connected to a mag loop antenna on a tripod! Did anyone recognize the mag loop maker?

Paul Goemans WA9PWP
Stoughton, WI

Johnny Matlock

I saw that Paul.
Pretty cool!
Johnny AC0BQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

W4OED

I think that the producers had to show an "antenna" of some kind so non-radio viewers would recognize it as such. When I was in high school (late 60s), one of my classmates came home because he wanted to see my ham radio antenna. When I showed him my half-wave dipole with ladder feedline, he could not believe that something that simple could allow me to communicate with other ham operators. Hence, I showed him my "other" antenna, a beautiful wooden-frame loop antenna that I had inherited along with an old galena radio. That one did fit his idea of a "real" antenna and he later left, very satisfied with his finding. Some people seem to prefer preconceptions to reality, it seems.

WD5GLO Lou

I did see the show. The antenna looked like a magnetic loop antenna to me.
Lou, WD5GLO

On May 17, 2019, at 12:09 PM, W4OED <w4oed@...> wrote:

I think that the producers had to show an "antenna" of some kind so non-radio viewers would recognize it as such. When I was in high school (late 60s), one of my classmates came home because he wanted to see my ham radio antenna. When I showed him my half-wave dipole with ladder feedline, he could not believe that something that simple could allow me to communicate with other ham operators. Hence, I showed him my "other" antenna, a beautiful wooden-frame loop antenna that I had inherited along with an old galena radio. That one did fit his idea of a "real" antenna and he later left, very satisfied with his finding. Some people seem to prefer preconceptions to reality, it seems.

WD5GLO Lou

Yep, it was interesting to see the magnetic loop antenna that looked pretty modern in design.
Lou, WD5GLO

On May 17, 2019, at 9:25 AM, Johnny Matlock <jomatlock@...> wrote:

I saw that Paul.
Pretty cool!
Johnny AC0BQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Johnny Matlock

I thought it was pretty neat to have a high tech antenna on a old SW receiver!

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com