Topics

ARRL Field Day 2019

Charles W. Powell

Would there be any interest in making a serious QRP Field Day effort for 2019?   Any discussion on this?

72,

Chas - NK8O

jleahy00

I think that is a GREAT idea !

Anything to get folks on the air and out somewhere if possible.

Willing to help to get it going also.

John
KK4ITX

If you need a parachute and don't have one you probably won't need one again.

On Dec 6, 2018, at 23:45, Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io <doctorcwp@...> wrote:

Would there be any interest in making a serious QRP Field Day effort for 2019?   Any discussion on this?

72,

Chas - NK8O

Gerry Edson

I have long wanted to do qrp on Field Day, but no locals seem interested.
Jerry, WA0KNW

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 10:46 PM Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io <doctorcwp=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Would there be any interest in making a serious QRP Field Day effort for 2019?   Any discussion on this?

72,

Chas - NK8O

Greg Troxel

"Gerry Edson" <wa0knw@...> writes:

I have long wanted to do qrp on Field Day, but no locals seem interested.
Jerry, WA0KNW
I'm not local, but my club (wb1gof.org) does field day every year, the
past N years as 3A (cw/ssb/digital, plus vhf and gota). The last few
years have been with 100W stations, mostly operated via honda EU2000.

But, a few years ago (2012?), we operated at 5W only, on lead acid
batteries (starting full), with solar panels. All the rigs were K2, and
it was very quiet without the motors running. We still had all the
antennas, including 2-el wire beams on 40 and 20/15/10 pointing west (EMA).

Overall, the score obtained was similar QRP vs not, and we made about
half the contacts as QRP. For operators and guest operators who aren't
specifically into QRP, it seems more contacts is more fun.

So I would definitely encourage you to do this. Even two people can be
a fun time; I once ran a 1B station solo in the same place as somebody
else doing that - that's like a 2-person FD except we had separate
logs/scores/calls.

73 de n1dam

Larry Makoski

Guys,

Go for it!  The South Plainfield Amateur Radio Club (NJ2SP) here in NJ was founded in April 2014 and that didn't leave much time for Field Day planning. So I suggested we go QRP - just a few wires in the trees in the local park, and operate off batteries. The club agreed and we did a 2A Battery effort that year and came in 3rd pace nationwide in our category!

I thought that once that was over the other guys in the club would want to go QRO for 2015. They didn't! They had such a good time, that we've been QRP for Field Day ever since and we place decently every year.

Admittedly, the SSB guys have a bit tougher time, but we added a beam to our antenna arsenal for them - so they make their fair share of QSOs, too.  I know you'll have a blast if you decide to do this.

Larry W2LJ

On Thu, Dec 6, 2018 at 11:46 PM Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io <doctorcwp=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Would there be any interest in making a serious QRP Field Day effort for 2019?   Any discussion on this?

72,

Chas - NK8O

kim arbaugh

I am in for it.....

fred

KA4RUR/QRP

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Charles W. Powell

That’s a nice site, Johnny.  I’d likely join you there.  Can we get permission to stay overnight and set up tents and campers?

I have set up at a park local to me, Lewis & Young Park in Louisburg KS but I do need to get permission from the city to stay the weekend.  It is also a nice site on flat ground with lots of good trees.  I have a new 30 Ah LiFePO4 battery that would last a good long time at either site!

72,

Chas - NK8O

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Johnny Matlock

Ge Chas
It’s a state park, so you can rent camp sites.
We usually reserved at least 2 side by side so we could string wires across both.
Tents and campers are welcome.
73
Johnny

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Casey

Gerry, on FD Saturday, I travel about 60 miles to a Club FD Site and operate. It is QRO, and I get my yearly SSB Fix. On Sunday, I operate QRP CW from my yard. I only have QRP CW on HF. I have heard rumors on any QRP guy in the next County :O