Topics

audio out and speakers

Paul Goemans

Hello again,
  Another comment on the Hilltoppers. Sitting in the shack and don’t feel the need to wear headphones? With the “audio” mod, I find the Hilltopper will drive a loudspeaker well! After trying many speakers over the years, I found the BEST external speaker is the Motorola HSN4018. Per Motorola, this speaker is a “13 watt water-resistant speaker designed for installation on a motorcycle.” Any rig that drives headphones well will drive this speaker well! These speakers were frequently found used at hamfests. If you find one, grab it!

HSN4018 (2)
Paul Goemans WA9PWP
Stoughton, WI

Brian Crittendon

I have one in my car that K8JK gave me. The speaker not the car,Grin.

On Saturday, May 11, 2019, 8:50:36 AM EDT, Paul Goemans <wa9pwp@...> wrote:

Hello again,
  Another comment on the Hilltoppers. Sitting in the shack and don’t feel the need to wear headphones? With the “audio” mod, I find the Hilltopper will drive a loudspeaker well! After trying many speakers over the years, I found the BEST external speaker is the Motorola HSN4018. Per Motorola, this speaker is a “ 13 watt water-resistant speaker designed for installation on a motorcycle.” Any rig that drives headphones well will drive this speaker well! These speakers were frequently found used at hamfests. If you find one, grab it!

HSN4018 (2)
Paul Goemans WA9PWP
Stoughton, WI

Tom Sevart

On 05/11/19 07:50, Paul Goemans wrote:
Hello again,
  Another comment on the Hilltoppers. Sitting in the shack and don’t feel the need to wear headphones? With the “audio” mod, I find the Hilltopper will drive a loudspeaker well! After trying many speakers over the years, I found the BEST external speaker is the Motorola HSN4018. Per Motorola, this speaker is a “13 watt water-resistant speaker designed for installation on a motorcycle.” Any rig that drives headphones well will drive this speaker well! These speakers were frequently found used at hamfests. If you find one, grab it!
HSN4018 (2)
I have two which I purchased at a hamfest a few years ago. They had a box full and were selling for $5 apiece. I probably should have grabbed more than just 2, but I didn't think I'd use them all.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Kent Trimble, K9ZTV

Be careful of these.

Not because they aren't excellent speakers, which they are.  At last count I have six for use at Field Day, Frankenstein, Boy Scout doings, QRP Sprints, etc.  They were the speaker of choice for many ambulances and public utilities in the old Motorola MOTRAC days which means they can be cranked up quite a bit without distortion.

However, many contain 2 ohm speakers which kill audio components in modern amateur radio transceivers.  The impedance will be stamped (usually) on the speaker magnet.  4 or 8 ohm is what you want, but if 2 ohm is all you can find, resistors of appropriate value can be used to raise the impedance.

They can be had at hamfests, dirty and dusty, but otherwise fully functional for $5 (sometimes per pair) and in either black or brownish-maroon colors.  They will most likely be found at Xenia under a table somewhere, in the flea area, thrown into a box of a dozen or more.  Try to find the matching plastic mounting bracket, too.  Pick the best, remove the speaker, put mild soap and water to the case, and it will look brand new.

A very fine communications speaker.

73,

Kent  K9ZTV