Availability of a New MagicBox Design

Jim Kortge

Good morning everyone,

Today, we are announcing the release of a new MagicBox V2.5 design.

The K8IQY/KU4QO MagicBox V2.5, is an updated version of the project designed by K8IQY in 2013 and kitted by the 4 State QRP group. In the prior version, the MagicBox could be used to connect a receiver and a transmitter together to operate as a transceiver, with all of the RF switching and Audio Muting handled by the MagicBox. It used a programmed microprocessor to control the functions within the box. The updated version provides all of the RF Switching and Audio Muting functionality of the original, along with the addition of an internal, speed adjustable, CW Keyer, power control for transmitters requiring an external power source to be switched, such as a Tuna Tin 2, and a redesign of the PIN diode RF Switching circuitry to handle higher transmitter power levels. This version can handle transmitters up to 20 watts, with very low loss.  In addition, the CW keyer part of the system can be used as a standalone code practice oscillator or keyer for a rig not having that feature.  This version uses an Arduino Nano clone for control, so that operational changes can be made by the builder.

All of the project documentation lives on GitHub,

<https://github.com/ku4qo/MagicBox2.5>

and is in the public domain, including the Gerber files for PCB manufacturing, Bills of Material, 3D printing file (STL) for the case, along with other useful documentation.  Builders are encouraged to team up to acquire PCBs and parts for this project, and support each other.

72 and have fun,

Jim Kortge, K8IQY and Mike Maiorana, KU4QO designers
03/25/2022

Jim, N5IB

Thank you so much, Jim and Mike, for making the fruits of all your hard work available to us.

I built one of the original MBs, used it with some of my regen receivers, sold it, then had seller's remorse, then searched high and low and managed to snag an unbuilt kit about two years ago, but haven't yet assembled that one.

Just took a quick look at the photos and documents. I like the use of the NANO and the two-board stack.
And now that I have a 3D printer, this will be a must do.

Thanks again, 73
Jim, N5IB