Bayou Jumper

Robert

I don't  usually say much on the reflector about just having radio fun, but i have to on this rig. It is just a blast, I worked a station in Maine with my Bayou Jumper and I am still smiling. I am using it with my Elecraft AF-1 as an audio filter, and I modified my EZ Keyer III, changing the BS 170 for an IRF 510 in straight key mode to get a sidetone. I also added a vernier tuning knob that Johnny AC0BQ suggested to me available on Amazon, and wow. listen for me on 120.1 from time to time I will be harvesting akcc numbers as best i can.

72's

Bert
N0YJ

Timothy East

What vernier knob is this?

Tim

On Jan 25, 2021, at 19:58, Robert <e1dslr@...> wrote:

I don't  usually say much on the reflector about just having radio fun, but i have to on this rig. It is just a blast, I worked a station in Maine with my Bayou Jumper and I am still smiling. I am using it with my Elecraft AF-1 as an audio filter, and I modified my EZ Keyer III, changing the BS 170 for an IRF 510 in straight key mode to get a sidetone. I also added a vernier tuning knob that Johnny AC0BQ suggested to me available on Amazon, and wow. listen for me on 120.1 from time to time I will be harvesting akcc numbers as best i can.

72's

Bert
N0YJ

Johnny AC0BQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Rick Nelson

Thanks very much, Bert. Placed the order.

73,

Rick

On Jan 25, 2021, at 9:38 PM, Johnny AC0BQ <jomatlock@...> wrote:

Here is the link guys.

72
Johnny ACØBQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

K7BXI

Hi Bert,
I’m in the process of building the BJ, and have the AF-1 and EZ Keyer III.  What audio filter do you use?  Can’t wait to put it all together.
.Ken

Ken Cone
K7BXI

On Jan 25, 2021, at 5:58 PM, Robert <e1dslr@...> wrote:

I don't  usually say much on the reflector about just having radio fun, but i have to on this rig. It is just a blast, I worked a station in Maine with my Bayou Jumper and I am still smiling. I am using it with my Elecraft AF-1 as an audio filter, and I modified my EZ Keyer III, changing the BS 170 for an IRF 510 in straight key mode to get a sidetone. I also added a vernier tuning knob that Johnny AC0BQ suggested to me available on Amazon, and wow. listen for me on 120.1 from time to time I will be harvesting akcc numbers as best i can.

72's

Bert
N0YJ

Timothy East

Is this a straight change out???

Nice tuning knob.

Tim

On Jan 25, 2021, at 22:02, KI7EIH <kencone@...> wrote:

[...]

Gm Tim
No, its a mod, drilling, cutting and fitting with a lot of patience is required!
Johnny AC0BQ

On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 8:38 AM Timothy East <Timothyeast@...> wrote:
[...]

John - KK4ITX

NM0S has a 7:1 knob on Ebay for $15 including shipping that may work also, just finer tuning ?

John
KK4ITX

Visit:  www.zaarc.org.   👁

On Jan 26, 2021, at 10:01, Johnny AC0BQ <jomatlock@...> wrote:

[...]

Hmmmmmm. May not then

On Jan 26, 2021, at 09:22, John - KK4ITX via groups.io <jleahy00@...> wrote:

[...]

Bob Parr

This only replaces the knob though, correct?  You still use the existing pot.  Someone posted one with a reduction drive.  I wouldn't go throgh all the trouble to just put a neat looking knob (not that I am above an aesthetic mod) but would be for a more the ability to make finer/slower adjustments.

Bob

> Gm Tim
>
> No, its a mod, drilling, cutting and fitting with a lot of patience
> is required!
>
> Johnny AC0BQ
>

> On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 8:38 AM Timothy East
> <Timothyeast@...> wrote:
>

>> Is this a straight change out???
>>

>> Nice tuning knob.
>>

> Tim
>

>> On Jan 25, 2021, at 22:02, KI7EIH <kencone@...> wrote:
>

>>> ? Hi Bert,
>>> I'm in the process of building the BJ, and have the AF-1 and EZ
>>> Keyer III.  What audio filter do you use?  Can't wait to put it
>>> all together.
> .Ken
>

>>> Ken Cone
> kencone@...
> K7BXI

> 72's
>

> Bert
> N0YJ

The knob is also available on FleaBag...er...eBay.

On Tuesday, January 26, 2021, 8:38:18 AM CST, Timothy East <timothyeast@...> wrote:

[...]

Gwen Patton

I have a similar vernier on the variable capacitor of my magnetic loop. Works like a champ.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73,
Gwen, NG3P

Timothy East

Is it hard to install?

Tim
K0EMP

On Jan 26, 2021, at 18:53, Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...> wrote:

I have a similar vernier on the variable capacitor of my magnetic loop. Works like a champ.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73,
Gwen, NG3P

Bert

How are you using the Elecraft AF-1 audio filter. Are you plugging into the phone jack of the BJ for the input of the AF-1? Are you able to adjust the filter parameters?
Tnx

72
Peter
AA2VG

Robert

you have to make a special cable connecting to the the tip and ring of the Bayou Jumper audio plug, not the shaft, then on the AF-1 side I used a monaural plug and connected to the tip and the shaft. The  AF-1 has a capacitor on its input already so your good to go. works great I especially like the low pass filter. I use the AF-1 with several rigs

On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 8:59 AM Peter AA2VG <Petersdeluca@...> wrote:
Bert

How are you using the Elecraft AF-1 audio filter. Are you plugging into the phone jack of the BJ for the input of the AF-1? Are you able to adjust the filter parameters?
Tnx

72
Peter
AA2VG

Jim, N5IB

The AF-1's audio input jack "sleeve" is grounded. So care is needed...

You have to be sure the neither side of the Bayou Jumper's audio lines ever sees a DC ground, lest U1 buy the farm.
Since the AF-1 already has a DC blocking cap on the "hot" side, that line is accounted for.
You should still put a DC blocking cap in series with the "ground" lead to the AF-1

There's a note in the BJ manual APPENDIX about that.
Also, there are pads provided on the main PC board (JP-2 and JP-3) that can be used to install caps (a cuttable trace is provided) but the downside of that is the caps will now be in line with headphones, which can reduce the headphone level somewhat.

N5IB