Bayou jumper assembly hiccup

Noah KC1NWN

Hey y’all,

I’m nearing completion on my bayou jumper and, just my luck, snapped the negative lug off the power jack when positioning the front panel. Any suggestions as to a work around/soldering it back or will I need to just order another power jack (all the more likely but I wanted to check with the expert hams first).

73,
Noah KC1NWN

Johnny AC0BQ

Gm Noah
I had the same problem.
You can tack it back to keep your testing in progress, then I would order a replacement.

I strongly suggest using smaller stranded wires, such as 18 ga. when you replace it.
72
Johnny ACØBQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Ted

I'm all in for replacing the power jack, though a "temporary" repair might be as good or better.  Scrape the surface clean and add a dab of flux, if available.  Use a HOT iron so that the immediate area where scraped off will accept solder quicker than the inside plastic can melt.  Pre-tin the ground wire that goes to that point.  Apply a small blob of solder onto the area where scraped and and allow it to cool off; blow on it to encourage cooling quickly.

Then, heat the jack again with the wire on it and blend the solder on both pieces together and allow to cool. It'll last as long as any other connection in the radio.