Topics

Bayou Jumper Power Supply

William Fogel

My BY jumper will mostly be used in the shack.  I have a 'wall wart" whose output is rated at 12V and 3.5A. Someone said the amperage might not be enough to power the transmitter.  I can't find any information, so I am asking this group.  Can I use it to both receive and transmit? 

William Fogel

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 11:06 AM, William Fogel wrote:
My BY jumper will mostly be used in the shack.  I have a 'wall wart" whose output is rated at 12V and 3.5A. Someone said the amperage might not be enough to power the transmitter.  I can't find any information, so I am asking this group.  Can I use it to both receive and transmit? 
Posted to wrong group , reposted to BY jumper subgroup. Sorry.  

Bob Parr

Others can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think it uses anywhere near 3 amps.

Bob

> My BY jumper will mostly be used in the shack.  I have a 'wall
> wart" whose output is rated at 12V and 3.5A. Someone said the
> amperage might not be enough to power the transmitter.  I can't
> find any information, so I am asking this group.  Can I use it to
> both receive and transmit? 

David Walker

Current Requirements: Receiver 20-25 mA, Transmitter less than 600 mA

On 2/10/2021 11:19 AM, Bob Parr wrote:

Others can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think it uses anywhere near 3 amps.

Bob

John - KK4ITX

That should be quite adequate for power but I would first run it from battery power to compare "noise" from the Wall Wart.  I would use the wall wart to charge a battery and then run from the battery.  A 12v AGM or Gel Cell can be had for under $20 usually, I have 3 and use them for my FT-818...... don't know what I'll do for the BJ yet.

John
KK4ITX

Click Here for Zephyrhills Area Amateur Radio Club
Many of life's failures are people who
did not realize how close they were to
success when they gave up.
       Thomas A. Edison     

On Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 12:19:45 PM EST, Bob Parr <parr@...> wrote:

Bob

Paul Goemans

Bill,
  I know you reposted, but a general comment. Is that “wall wart” an old-school linear supply with a big transformer? If so, it is not regulated, and the “no load” voltage will be WAY over 12 volts! Check that before connecting it!  

Paul Goemans WA9PWP
Stoughton, WI

Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 2021 11:06 AM
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Subject: [4SQRP] Bayou Jumper Power Supply

Curt

If indeed the power cube is linear, and adequate in voltage and current - it can be tamed with a simple regulator circuit.  check the QST archives to see if you can find cube tamer article - no worries it is just a 12 volt regulator and some capacitors. 

Curt

William Fogel

Thanks to all of you for your replies.  You have given me a lot to think about. I look forward to QSO's with all of you soon.

73   Bill

Bill Fogel AG5SK
2500 E. Business Hwy. 83, Lot 264
Mission, TX 78572
956-424-5625