Bayou Jumper Spot and RX

Ted

Hey, all.

Good group you've got here. I just completed the blue kit, and need to ask about RX alignment, please. I've got an L1 set to the point that I pick up my bench HF radio on about no power and a dummy load, for tuner alignment. At no poi t have I been able to hear my tuner steady RF on a nearby radio just by tuning up and down.  I have to align the tuner instead by transmitting almost no power out of the bench rig to a dummy load, and find that rig's carrier with the Bayou Jumper dial.

That's all fine, except that now I have no spotting feature. When I press the key down, the other HF rig hears the spotter on the stall frequency, but the Bayou Jumper kit does not. The kit TX is fine, and I hear general CW stuff going on.  No setting of the regen knob helps, and, it's  effect per rotation seems to do what the instx call for, being new to a regenerative receiver as I am, that is.

Suggestions?

Thank you,

Ted
K3RTA

Jim, N5IB

Hi Ted,

If you haven't already, join the Bayou Jumper Group at
https://4sqrp.groups.io/g/BayouJumperKit
Lots of discussion specific to the BJ operation, troubleshooting, mods, etc, going on over there.

This current batch of MPF-102 transistors used as the regen detector don't seem to perform as well for the spotting function as the older parts. The "crystal-across-the-antenna" does work but the effect is subtle and the trick is to tune quickly across the crystal frequency. If you tune slow and careful you won't hear it.

The "Ultimate Solution" is
http://www.4sqrp.com/crystal_spotter.php

Where on the BJ dial do you hear your HF rig on dummy load?
If the BJ is hearing CW then the detector is oscillating.
Can you tell where on the REGEN dial the detector goes in and out of oscillation?
Have you installed C31 yet?
Are you using a short piece of wire from your station receiver run over close to the BJ?
I find I have to pass that wire right under the PC board (no electrical connection made) to couple a good strong signal into the monitor receiver.

***don't accidentally tap the key of the HF rig while that wire is there... you'll really hurt the BJ's feelings :^))

If you wish, you can post you reply over on the BJ Group. Other builders can profit from the discussion.

73
Jim, N5IB

Ted

Hi, Jim.

I appreciate your input and the suggestions.  I've been away from the project for a few days for a "cooling off" period (and, of course, dealing with the Real World).

I'll try those tips out and report back.   Application for membership in the BayouJumperKit group made; I looked for the group, but, being as the group name is run together like that, a search for it turned up nothing.

 Tnx agn for the suggestions.  More to follow.

72,

Ted

Justice will not come (to Athens) until those who are not injured are as indignant as those who are injured.

Thucydides