From: main@4SQRP.groups.io <main@4SQRP.groups.io> on behalf of Ross Tucker (NS7F) <rjtucke@...>
Sent: Saturday, November 19, 2022 3:23 PM
To: main@4sqrp.groups.io <main@4sqrp.groups.io>
Subject: [4SQRP] Bayou Jumper vernier?

Does anybody have any suggestions for how best to mount the accessory
vernier dial? I trimmed the end of the tuning pot shaft but the
vernier body still can't get low enough to rest on the front panel.

Thanks!
Ross, NS7F

Ross Tucker (NS7F)

The set screws for the vernier are all the way at the bottom of its
shaft coupler. :-(

On Sat, Nov 19, 2022 at 3:59 PM William Franklin
<wfrank5wb39@...> wrote:

Not sure what your vernier looks like, physically. But, if the coupling that the pot shaft fits into extends below the panel and that is what is keeping the dial assembly from going lower, you might consider using a Dremel tool with a cutoff disc to remove some of the coupler below the set screw hole. Some eyeballing and measurements might validate the merit of this.

73, Bill, K5WB
________________________________
Does anybody have any suggestions for how best to mount the accessory
vernier dial? I trimmed the end of the tuning pot shaft but the
vernier body still can't get low enough to rest on the front panel.

Thanks!
Ross, NS7F

Bob Parr

Although I have not yet installed the Vernier, I did have to cut off some of the shaft and drilled and tapped for a new set screw.

Bob
KG5GTE
Agent 52

Does anybody have any suggestions for how best to mount the accessory
vernier dial? I trimmed the end of the tuning pot shaft but the
vernier body still can't get low enough to rest on the front panel.

Thanks!
Ross, NS7F

Dan Miller

I too am attempting this. My vernier is also 'tall' and I've considered enlarging the hole in the faceplate to let it set down lower. If I remember, that still won't be enough.

BUT! My vernier only moves 180 degrees and the full travel of the tuning pot is more like 270 degrees.

I'm going to get together with another ham from our local group ( https://www.k7mva.org/ ) as he has a selection of different verniers that might work better than this one.....

Let's keep this thread going so we all can have a good solution for this!

Dan, KG7JVE

On Sun, Nov 20, 2022, 10:51 Bob Parr <parr@...> wrote:
Although I have not yet installed the Vernier, I did have to cut off
some of the shaft and drilled and tapped for a new set screw.

Bob
KG5GTE
Agent 52

>The set screws for the vernier are all the way at the bottom of its
>shaft coupler. :-(
>
>On Sat, Nov 19, 2022 at 3:59 PM William Franklin
><wfrank5wb39@...> wrote:
>>
>>  Not sure what your vernier looks like, physically.  But, if the coupling that the pot shaft fits into extends below the panel and that is what is keeping the dial assembly from going lower, you might consider using a Dremel tool with a cutoff disc to remove some of the coupler below the set screw hole.  Some eyeballing and measurements might validate the merit of this.
>>
>>  73, Bill, K5WB

Ted

I am curious, as a fellow owner:  Is a physical vernier believed to be better overall than adding a find-tuning pot which gives finer resolution than the main tuning pot alone?  Frankly, with the temperature drift I still encounter (after putting foam over the tuning diode, etc), would probably be as good at chasing the drift with their vernier dials as the standard type fine tuning mod is.  My experience may be different from others', of course.  I know the vernier dials are pretty neat devices so I'm not knocking the idea of installing one - just wondering what the comparative results are thought to be vs. the other route.

As an aside, I tried wiring my fine-tuning pot between the R8 pot and its junction with C17 rather than on the other side of R5. At the time of the work, I recall that it produced a slightly more linear response. I'd have to look inside the radio to see what else might be in series with that work before suggesting it as a design change but it works well.

K3RTA