Topics

#BRUTUS Anyone think we'll go to Brutus this year? #BRUTUS

Ed Meyer, WG5F

Now that the 4th of July is behind us...  Anyone else thinking about Brutus Bash 2020?
72,
-Ed, WG5F-

W0MQY

Hi Ed,
I’m certainly thinking about it but the pandemic is dashing my spirit.  I heard a rumor the museum is closed to the public but I’m in the process of finding out for sure.  The recent explosion of of positive cases here in Crawford county has certainly reduced my desire to get out at all.

Joe W0MQY

--
Joe Porter, PhD

SEKARC.net

A.R.R.L. Member
F.I.S.T.S. cw club   #19078
N.A.Q.C.C.   #10355
4sqrp Group   #103
S.K.C.C.   #4213
NJ Skeeter  #66  (2020)
Sasquatch   #855

Charles W. Powell

I hadn't given it a lot of thought, but provided we didn't have a huge crowd, I think we could possibly do this safely.  Let me confer with my other infectious disease expert (XYL) and see what she says.  That also assumes the park is open.

73,

Charles - NK8O

On 7/6/20 4:45 PM, Ed Meyer, WG5F wrote:
Now that the 4th of July is behind us...  Anyone else thinking about Brutus Bash 2020?
72,
-Ed, WG5F-

John Nicholas

Joe,

Is Brutus Bash a get-together or something else? I get the concerns about Covid,  Sedgwick County has had an increase also and some are stuck on not thinking.   I have noticed a nice percentage increase in Mask Usage since the City of Wichita took some action,  And I live in Derby.

Just getting my base station set up. It will be nice to do something Ham related without excess risk.  Staying at home is fine, but.

Please keep us informed via the list and the rest of us.

73

de ZEoZUW John

On Jul 6, 2020, at 5:16 PM, Charles W. Powell via groups.io <doctorcwp@...> wrote:

I hadn't given it a lot of thought, but provided we didn't have a huge crowd, I think we could possibly do this safely.  Let me confer with my other infectious disease expert (XYL) and see what she says.  That also assumes the park is open.

73,

Charles - NK8O

On 7/6/20 4:45 PM, Ed Meyer, WG5F wrote:
Now that the 4th of July is behind us...  Anyone else thinking about Brutus Bash 2020?
72,
-Ed, WG5F-

W0MQY

Hi John

Yes, in the past it was started as a summer get together for the 4sqrp group but not limited to.  It blossomed into a weekend affair with lots of good food and plenty of on the air time.  We have always had a lot fun and fellowship in-spite of the temperatures exceeding 95 degrees in Kansas this time of year.  The Covid-19 pandemic has certainly cast doubts on the 2020 version of this group event for me anyway.  The increase in mask usage has been a welcomed sight here too John.

I myself am 82, with health issues that places me in the very high risk group.  The experts are all saying masks and isolation are the best defense against Covid-19 so I will probably take their advice and operate from my deck.  It won’t be the same as a group gathering but at least I could participate safely.   That’s my two cents worth.  72/73  Joe W0MQY

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 5:50 PM John Nicholas <stnick@...> wrote:
[...]

Update!
Just checked the Big Brutus website and this is the current situation.

Visitors Center at Big BrutusWestMineral, KS
Visitor's Center. Currently CLOSED due to Covid-19. Planning to REOPEN SOON--Watch for updates!!!

72/73 Joe W0MQY

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 6:14 PM Joe Porter <womquee@...> wrote:
[...]

Tom Sevart

On 7/6/2020 16:45, Ed Meyer, WG5F wrote:
Now that the 4th of July is behind us...  Anyone else thinking about Brutus Bash 2020?
I would love to, but with Covid-19 cases continually on the rise I don't think it's a good idea for us to get together. At least not without masks and plenty of hand sanitizer. But I still think that social distancing is quite necessary to slow the spread of the disease.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Hello Guys
Pam and I have been staying away from crowds as much as possible all summer to avoid COVID.

I’m sure every thing would be fine,
But I am going to have to agree with
Joe and Tom.
I don’t think we will attend just to be safe.
72
Johnny ACØBQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

John Nicholas

Joe,

Thanks for the heads up and info. If it comes off, we could make a day trip out of it. I’m not too concerned about get togethers. I have good masks and the ability to stay 6 feet apart at many of these types of get togethers is not hard - I just have to make a conscious effort.

I am 70 and survived a fall down some steps at home 3 weeks ago, just 6 broken ribs. So my doctors say I am the immunocompromised member of the family now. My wife finished radiation and chemo for Breast Cancer in early March. So, instead of being cautious for her, we are cautious for me.

I spent 30 years in health care admin. and have a level of comfort in the recommended measures. Besides most of amateur radio is social distancing anyway! My doc, the cardiologist and the pulmonologist all say wear a mask, and stay out of crowds over 45. Under 45 are OK as long as I maintain the 6 feet or leave, They also say, my situation with decreased lung capacity does not warrant an exception to the mask order as issued by the Governor.

I am intrigued with the QRP part of amateur radio. Not sure where I am going yet. I got 5 QSO on Field day. 2 with 50 watts and 3 at 100. Spending my down time thinking about antennas and how to improve what I have with minimal or no cost. Looking at squalo types right now. I may try a 6 meter. play it off with my dipole.

73 KEoZUW

On Jul 6, 2020, at 5:16 PM, Charles W. Powell via groups.io <doctorcwp=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I hadn't given it a lot of thought, but provided we didn't have a huge crowd, I think we could possibly do this safely. Let me confer with my other infectious disease expert (XYL) and see what she says. That also assumes the park is open.

73,

Charles - NK8O

On 7/6/20 4:45 PM, Ed Meyer, WG5F wrote:
Now that the 4th of July is behind us... Anyone else thinking about Brutus Bash 2020?
72,
-Ed, WG5F-

Charles W. Powell

Let's sit on this for a while.  Honestly, I think if we all made commitments to wear masks, keep our distance, and keep up on hand washing, we could manage.  But no one should do anything that will cause them concern.

73,

Charles - NK8O

On 7/6/20 8:00 PM, Johnny AC0BQ wrote:
Hello Guys
Pam and I have been staying away from crowds as much as possible all summer to avoid COVID.

I’m sure every thing would be fine,
But I am going to have to agree with
Joe and Tom.
I don’t think we will attend just to be safe.
72
Johnny ACØBQ

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 7:56 PM Tom Sevart <tmsevart@...> wrote:
On 7/6/2020 16:45, Ed Meyer, WG5F wrote:
> Now that the 4th of July is behind us...  Anyone else thinking about
> Brutus Bash 2020?

I would love to, but with Covid-19 cases continually on the rise I don't
think it's a good idea for us to get together.  At least not without
masks and plenty of hand sanitizer.  But I still think that social
distancing is quite necessary to slow the spread of the disease.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

W0MQY

Boy John, you and your wife sure have your hands full right now.  Glad to hear you are fascinated with qrp.  I think our whole group can say that also. You take care of yourself and your wife. I hope to hear you are both doing fine soon.   72/73 Joe W0MQY

--
Joe Porter, PhD

SEKARC.net

A.R.R.L. Member
F.I.S.T.S. cw club   #19078
N.A.Q.C.C.   #10355
4sqrp Group   #103
S.K.C.C.   #4213
NJ Skeeter  #66  (2020)
Sasquatch   #855

W0MQY

Sounds good to me.   I’ve been doing a lot of sittin’ lately so have plenty of time to sort it all out.  Joe W0MQY

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 8:18 PM Charles W. Powell via groups.io <doctorcwp=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Let's sit on this for a while.  Honestly, I think if we all made commitments to wear masks, keep our distance, and keep up on hand washing, we could manage.  But no one should do anything that will cause them concern.

73,

Charles - NK8O

On 7/6/20 8:00 PM, Johnny AC0BQ wrote:
Hello Guys
Pam and I have been staying away from crowds as much as possible all summer to avoid COVID.

I’m sure every thing would be fine,
But I am going to have to agree with
Joe and Tom.
I don’t think we will attend just to be safe.
72
Johnny ACØBQ

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 7:56 PM Tom Sevart <tmsevart@...> wrote:
On 7/6/2020 16:45, Ed Meyer, WG5F wrote:
> Now that the 4th of July is behind us...  Anyone else thinking about
> Brutus Bash 2020?

I would love to, but with Covid-19 cases continually on the rise I don't
think it's a good idea for us to get together.  At least not without
masks and plenty of hand sanitizer.  But I still think that social
distancing is quite necessary to slow the spread of the disease.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

--
Joe Porter, PhD

SEKARC.net

A.R.R.L. Member
F.I.S.T.S. cw club   #19078
N.A.Q.C.C.   #10355
4sqrp Group   #103
S.K.C.C.   #4213
NJ Skeeter  #66  (2020)
Sasquatch   #855

Ed - ad7gr

John,

What is ZEoZUW ?

73,
Ed
--
John 17:3

Ed - ad7gr

John,

Sorry....
I should have included my callsign to my post, "what is ZEoZUW ?"

73,
Ed - ad7gr
--
John 17:3

Charles W. Powell

Misread.  His call is KEoZUW.

73,

Charles - NK8O

On 7/6/20 8:53 PM, Ed - ad7gr via groups.io wrote:
John,

Sorry....
I should have included my callsign to my post, "what is ZEoZUW ?"

73,
Ed - ad7gr
--
John 17:3

John Nicholas

Ed,

KE0ZUW

My call sign,  many of the emails I get show the zero as a lower case  letter O .

Still learning my way.  I got my Tech and General Ticket on March 14.  So I took my time to figure out my HF station.  I had an FT60 HT and have participated on the WARC and GSPARK Sunday night nets.  The HF was supposed to be up and running the day after I fell.  My wife cancelled my Elmer and  so my main antenna (parallel dipole) is not finished yet.  I did talk my S-I-L  how to put up a 6 meter and 10 meter dipole on our back fence.  I got field day credit for my 1st 5 QSO on 10 meters.  Just glad it was lively that day.  The WARC President KK0O  got over half of his contacts on 10 meters.

I’ve been subscribed since March to this list.  It has answered some questions, raised a few and sent me looking for answers to others.  Thanks for the info, and tips and keeping me on target.

John Nicholas  KE0ZUW
FCC Licensed General Class Operator
ARRL, WARC
Grid Square EM17im

Wayne Dillon

If it's going to happen then count me in. If not then maybe next year.
Wayne - NQ0RP

--

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER.

God Bless from Wayne Dillon - NQ0RP

Fate whispered to courageous "You cannot withstand the storm"
Courageous  whispered back "I am the storm"

KK0S

Well, I am Really fed up with being cooped up for the duration.  BUT this sure beats he alternative!  No.  I am not going to Brutus this year.  Even with insurance and assuming you survived...a week or two of ICU can destroy your retirement account really quick.  Maybe a Virtual Brutus event from my back patio... But that's as far as I am willing to venture this year.  See you on the air.  72. Bruce. KK0S

Tom Sevart

On 7/10/2020 16:39, KK0S wrote:
Well, I am Really fed up with being cooped up for the duration.  BUT this sure beats he alternative!  No.  I am not going to Brutus this year.  Even with insurance and assuming you survived...a week or two of ICU can destroy your retirement account really quick.  Maybe a Virtual Brutus event from my back patio... But that's as far as I am willing to venture this year.  See you on the air.  72. Bruce. KK0S
I agree. I'd love to take a vacation and go somewhere and do something but my rational nature says that staying home and away from other people is the smart thing to do. I can't afford to catch Covid-19 and be off work for 3-4 weeks and have the shop shut down that long.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS