Topics

Building

n0jrn <n0jrn@...>

GE all:

I'm building a keyer to go with one of my tube rigs.

It's grid block keying and I'm using a keyer adaptor
form HamGadgits.

I decided to use the Island Keyer II because it's
board allows me to use Pots for speed, tone etc
as well as momentary switches for jumping around
in the menu's.

I'm also using a small audio amp and speaker for
sidetone.

All this will go in a nice metal enclosure.

I was wondering if I need to rig up some kind of
a choke on the keying line to keep RF out of the
keyer.

Not sure it it's needed or what I would use so thought
I would ask ya'll.

Anyone have a favorite method of accomplishing this?

Just curious !

Thanks and 73:

Jerry N0JRN

gary rheuark

Hello Jerry, when I use a 486 computer's printer port to key 100 watts on HF, I connect a 1000 pf capacitor from the "hot" wire to ground. On VHF, use a 100 pf and on UHF use about 33 pf. These rough have always worked for me.....Gary.....K5QNM.

I'm building a keyer to go with one of my tube rigs.

It's grid block keying and I'm using a keyer adaptor
form HamGadgits.

I decided to use the Island Keyer II because it's
board allows me to use Pots for speed, tone etc
as well as momentary switches for jumping around
in the menu's.

I'm also using a small audio amp and speaker for
sidetone.

All this will go in a nice metal enclosure.

I was wondering if I need to rig up some kind of
a choke on the keying line to keep RF out of the
keyer.

Not sure it it's needed or what I would use so thought
I would ask ya'll.

Anyone have a favorite method of accomplishing this?

Just curious !

Thanks and 73:

Jerry    N0JRN

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    4sqrp-digest@...
    4sqrp-fullfeatured@...

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

wb9dlc <wb9dlc@...>

Jerry

I use an Island Keyer II and can't say enough good things about it.

Mine uses only the speed pot and I power it with 2 penlight batteries which last over a year even tho I never turn it off.

I do no extra RF filtering or suppression as and I operate running 800 watts sometimes.

Great project - works great.

Good luck - 73
Mike - wb9dlc
HTTP://wb9dlc.com