Code Talker Day

W3BNO

Just a note to say that today Aug. 14 is designated to commemorate the Navajo code talkers who served as Marines during WWII. These men served as scouts, radio operators, and runners mostly in the Pacific theater. Their service saved countless American lives and contributed mightily to the allied victory. I had the privilege of knowing one of these fine Marines. I met this gentleman in the early 2000s when in his late 70s was still working as an electrician at a nuclear facility in Kansas. Even at his advanced age he had the heart of a Marine and I count it as a privilege to have known him. Guys I hope we never forget that freedom is not free, and that any who have pledged to protect and defend the constitution have written a check to the United States that is still valid. The government has the right to cash that check whenever they need to. To that end enjoy the amateur radio hobby, and build your skills. The ability to effectively communicate using simple low power consumption gear with a minimum amount of complex peripheral gear [computers} I.e. using CW is an important asset in an emergency situation. That ability to copy weak signal CW communication is Truly a valuable skill. Enjoy our hobby and enjoy the freedom we have to exercise our hobby. Hope to see you on CW.
John W3BNO

Ron Layton

"That ability to copy weak signal CW communication is Truly a valuable skill." Truer words have not been spoken! When I was in SE Asia the QRN was horrible! Especially during monsoon season. I was a Morse intercept op and also had a couple of Special Forces camp freq's I had to monitor once an hour. The SF guys almost always used Morse because even the best Drake (these guys preferred good HAM gear) transmitter in SSB never made it through. I spent many an hour with a pair of US Government issued Trimm cans stuck to my head and a bank of R390A receivers humming and crashing away. Ahh, such fond memories.
Ron

W6BOW

Thank you, John, for the reminder.

Don
W6BOW

-----Original Message-----
To: main@4sqrp.groups.io
Sent: Sun, Aug 14, 2022 5:33 pm
Subject: [4SQRP] Code Talker Day

Just a note to say that today Aug. 14 is designated to commemorate the Navajo code talkers who served as Marines during WWII. These men served as scouts, radio operators, and runners mostly in the Pacific theater. Their service saved countless American lives and contributed mightily to the allied victory. I had the privilege of knowing one of these fine Marines. I met this gentleman in the early 2000s when in his late 70s was still working as an electrician at a nuclear facility in Kansas. Even at his advanced age he had the heart of a Marine and I count it as a privilege to have known him. Guys I hope we never forget that freedom is not free, and that any who have pledged to protect and defend the constitution have written a check to the United States that is still valid. The government has the right to cash that check whenever they need to. To that end enjoy the amateur radio hobby, and build your skills. The ability to effectively communicate using simple low power consumption gear with a minimum amount of complex peripheral gear [computers} I.e. using CW is an important asset in an emergency situation. That ability to copy weak signal CW communication is Truly a valuable skill. Enjoy our hobby and enjoy the freedom we have to exercise our hobby. Hope to see you on CW.
John W3BNO

KG8DA

Thanks so much. This is the kind of history that brings radio alive!

George KG8DA

Tom Sevart

On 8/15/2022 08:12, Ron Layton via groups.io wrote:
"That ability to copy weak signal CW communication is Truly a valuable skill." Truer words have not been spoken! When I was in SE Asia the QRN was horrible! Especially during monsoon season. I was a Morse intercept op
I was a Morse intercept op in the early 90's in the Philippines, and I know all about the QRN and also the D layer absorption. Some days it got so bad we'd declare an outage due to atmospherics, and we'd all log out of our positions.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Dr Jim Kennedy

On a trip out west a few years ago I met, in a coffee shop, one of the last “code talkers.” His pride in his people, the accomplishments they made to the war effort, and in his serving the country was outstanding. We owe the Navajo nation much. He was a truly gentle man who had suffered much and should be honored.
--
72/73, Doc - K2PHD
FCC: GMDSS, GROL, RADIOTELEGRAPH 2nd/RADAR
MORSE #045 - SKCC#5669T - NAQCC#9194 - FISTS#18988 - 4SQRP# 1522 - QCWA# 21341
OEM/RACES/ARES/CERT/SKYWARN
K2PHD@...
FN20qv*

Dr Jim Kennedy

Was a morse intercept op in the “Cold War” sixties. USCG detached to a USN ship during Cuban Missile Crisis and beyond for about eight months.
--
72/73, Doc - K2PHD
FCC: GMDSS, GROL, RADIOTELEGRAPH 2nd/RADAR
MORSE #045 - SKCC#5669T - NAQCC#9194 - FISTS#18988 - 4SQRP# 1522 - QCWA# 21341
OEM/RACES/ARES/CERT/SKYWARN
K2PHD@...
FN20qv*