Subject: Re: [4SQRP] Cricket 40?
To: main@4sqrp.groups.io
Date: Tuesday, December 25, 2018, 10:40 AM

I think a 40 meter
cricket should have been thought of long ago :)When you
fish !It helps to fish where the fish are
:)I think there are a lot more fish to be caught
fishing in 40 meters !The more fish the more fun
!My favorite fishing spot is and has always been
from about 7.110 to about 7.125 KC Lots of
really nice fish there !72 73 and
88 Merry Christmas
On Tue,
Dec 25, 2018 at 8:43 AM Jeff Logullo N0̸MII <jeff@...>
wrote:
Couldn’t pass it
up — I’m in!
Jeff N0̸MII
On Dec 24, 2018, at 4:39 PM, nm0s_qrp via Groups.Io <ai9e_qrp=yahoo.com@groups.io>
wrote:

if 4SQRP were
to introduce a 40M Cricket, who would be interested in
one?  I'm trying to gauge interest before making the
investment.

73 Dave NM0S

--
Jeff N0̷MII

C Maas <cmaas@...>

I would get one.

Wayne Steury

I wish it had some variable tuning on receive like the Pixie. That would help on CW listening.

Wayne Steury IPhone

On Dec 25, 2018, at 1:21 PM, C Maas via Groups.Io <cmaas@...> wrote:

I would get one.

Stephen Stocker

I would like one, also
--
Steve K7SWF

W0EAX

I would
Ron,  W0EAX

On Dec 25, 2018, at 6:43 AM, Jeff Logullo N0̸MII <jeff@...> wrote:

Couldn’t pass it up — I’m in!
Jeff N0̸MII

On Dec 24, 2018, at 4:39 PM, nm0s_qrp via Groups.Io <ai9e_qrp@...> wrote:

if 4SQRP were to introduce a 40M Cricket, who would be interested in one?  I'm trying to gauge interest before making the investment.

73 Dave NM0S

--
Jeff N0̷MII

I'd buy one! de tom w7sua

On 12/24/2018 3:39 PM, nm0s_qrp via Groups.Io wrote:
if 4SQRP were to introduce a 40M Cricket, who would be interested in one?  I'm trying to gauge interest before making the investment.
73 Dave NM0S

K0WDO Will Osborn

I’m a huge fan of the Cricket and thereby don’t want to be critical of it, but in the spirit of making it more useable I am responding.

I have made many QSOs with both my 80 & 30, however, I’ve missed loads more contacts due to not hearing the other station. I’ve been contacted via alternate means many times, being told that folks were calling me back over and over yet I didn’t hear them.

I’m by no means an expert but the results of my testing show that if a remote station zero beats me, I never hear them. They have to be quite a bit off my transmit frequency for me to hear some of them, and when I do hear them, the tone is also way off.  So, the receiver feels fairly deaf but also the offset may need tweaked.

Transmit wise, it kicks butt; I watch the RBN and even at 750 mW I get out all over the place when using a resonant dipole at 50 feet.

For Cricket to Cricket QSOs even a few miles apart using the same freq crystal (with Larry Hastings) we find that the TX/RX is far enough off that we never hear each other, and to make it work we need to be very close, which led to my Cricket mobile setup. Better freq lineup for cricket to cricket QSOs over long distance would be a huge boon.

For room to room QSOs in Branson, they work great but I’d like to have these transceivers in my regular rotation and for that to happen I need a more reliable receive...even if that means giving it some RX tuning ability or more pre-amplification.

One other common complaint is that of AM broadcast interference. We can build a filter and put it in-line, but it would be nice to have that on board for the folks that don’t yet know this is an issue or how to address it without suffering too much signal loss.

Again, I’m a user, not a designer. Just wanted to share my experience for the good of the device. I’ll say that for the money and parts count it is super neat, but a couple changes would make it a slam dunk.

 73 to all and Merry Christmas!

Will
K0WDO
Cricketeer #13 Mixed Band

PS, to Bill KV6Z, I am looking forward to adding a new band endorsement!

On Dec 24, 2018, at 4:39 PM, nm0s_qrp via Groups.Io <ai9e_qrp@...> wrote:

if 4SQRP were to introduce a 40M Cricket, who would be interested in one?  I'm trying to gauge interest before making the investment.

73 Dave NM0S

Casey

Crystal Sockets - won't a SIP strip fit there with the Center Pieces n cut off? And also use a SIP strip on the Crystal? They worked great on the Pig Rigs :) Anybody remember them ;)

Brian Crittendon

I thought I was the only one who did that. Grin  WQ8S/Mark

WA0ITP

I'm in, sounds great.  7122 is the 4srp hangout, usually can pick up a qso thereabouts..
72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.
On 12/24/2018 4:39 PM, nm0s_qrp via Groups.Io wrote:

if 4SQRP were to introduce a 40M Cricket, who would be interested in one?  I'm trying to gauge interest before making the investment.

73 Dave NM0S

John Hucke

Yes, I’d be interested in a Cricket 40.
K3JH John

On Dec 25, 2018, at 01:17, Ron Edmo <snakedmo5@...> wrote:

I would be interested. I already have the Cricket80a plus Bayou Jumpers (White and Green boards)

73, Ron KF7JZH

On Dec 24, 2018 3:39 PM, "nm0s_qrp via Groups.Io" <ai9e_qrp=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
if 4SQRP were to introduce a 40M Cricket, who would be interested in one?  I'm trying to gauge interest before making the investment.

73 Dave NM0S

Jim Pruitt

I have a Cricket 80,  a Cricket80A, and a Cricket30. I would also be interested but only if the key jack was placed on the pc board (takes one pc lan and isolate one hole) and that they meet spectral purity.

Might I also suggest that there be corner holes pre drilled for mounting.  I know the idea is for minimalist use but I prefer to put mine in an enclosure as hot.live pc boards on the bench are an invitation for disaster and for letting the magic smoke escape.  I also had problems with hooking it up to a front panel power switch since the included onboard power switch has a little different spacing than most other switches so finding a center off pc mount power switch with the same footprint to replace the included one was a trick.  Yes,  I know I could have just used the board mounted switch on my front panel enclosure but I was trying to keep it stock if I removed it from the enclosure.

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY

On 12/24/2018 2:39 PM, nm0s_qrp via Groups.Io wrote:
if 4SQRP were to introduce a 40M Cricket, who would be interested in one?  I'm trying to gauge interest before making the investment.

73 Dave NM0S

Gary E. Kohtala

I wish the Cricket 80(A) was still available. I would like to acquire the whole series, 80, 40, 30, etc.

I would like ideas for enclosures for the Crickets. Anyone? Thanks, and happy new year.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

Sent from BlueMail

On Dec 26, 2018, at 12:47, Jim Pruitt <jpruitt67@...> wrote:
[...]

Gary,

I put my Cricket80 in a metal container that I got at the Dollar store or Dollar Tree.  You can still find them now as it is the size a lot of cookies came in over Christmas.  It has a hinged (I think) lid.  I had hoped I could use a SO239 connector instead of the BNC but there was not enough room for the BNC plug/adapter so I had to wire my SO239 in place of the BNC on the pc board but it works.  I also added the key jack mod to the pc board and then drilled my enclosure for that extra hole.

Good luck.

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY

On 12/26/2018 1:55 PM, Gary Kohtala via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Don, W9EBK

Gary,
I have several unbuilt 80's,  no 80A's. If you are interested please contact me at w9ebk@...
Don, W9EBK

On Wed, Dec 26, 2018, 3:57 PM Gary Kohtala via Groups.Io <gary.k7ek=yahoo.com@groups.io wrote:
[...]

Johnny AC0BQ

Gary
Search for Nm0s electronics.
Dave is selling the 80a now.
73
Johnny

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

John Lonigro

Surely there's somebody who has made an enclosure for those crickets out of a bait bucket.  Seems a natural (hi).

72 and happy holidays to all,

John, AA0VE

On 12/26/18 4:55 PM, Don Pitchford wrote:
[...]

David Wilcox

The Cricket 80a is available eBay with a few other of Daves past kits.  He has a presence there with parts too.

David J. Wilcox K8WPE’s iPad

On Dec 26, 2018, at 5:39 PM, Jim Pruitt <jpruitt67@...> wrote:

[...]

W0IIT

John, for crickets I always preferred a old Prince Albert’s tin tobacco can.  You would be surprised to find how many crickets or sand frogs you could stuff in one of those old flat red cans.  I suppose those are collector’s items now(the cans, not the crickets>-)

cu es 72 Bart W0IIT
4Sqrp #72, Flying Pig #11

On Dec 26, 2018, at 7:01 PM, John Lonigro <jonigro@...> wrote:

Surely there's somebody who has made an enclosure for those crickets out of a bait bucket.  Seems a natural (hi).

72 and happy holidays to all,

John, AA0VE

On 12/26/18 4:55 PM, Don Pitchford wrote:

Gary E. Kohtala

What about frequency or frequencies for the Cricket 40? It would be nice to have 7122 khz and possibly one of the mainstream watering holes on the low end of the band. Having not yet had the pleasure of building a Cricket for any band, I am unaware of the possible problems related to physically changing frequencies. A standard socket or appropriate female pins on the board would solve the problem, assuming that the crystal has pins and not wires, i.e. solders to the board. In the latter case some sort of switching arrangement would be necessary, increasing the complexity.  What have others done and where do they acquire suitable crystals for other frequencies? I won't fully understand the problem until I acquire my first Cricket, which will be right after the first if the year. Thanks for reading.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

Sent from BlueMail
_,_._,_