Topics

Cricket 40 Crystal Source

Dave Burnett

Is anyone able to provide a source of additional crystals for the Cricket 40?  I'd like to have one for somewhere around 7060-7064 and maybe a few more.  I've looked on the WTL website but I must be missing something.

72,
-Dave
WD8KRV

Jim Long

John - KK4ITX

In addition to the others mentioned:

Bobby Drummond

Also, once you've used your Cricket for a while consider using a ceramic resonator (or better yet, two in parallel) along with a 22 uh inductor and variable capacitor in place of the crystal.  That would be a VXO that would allow you to use the Cricket in just about any part of the CW portion of the 40 meter band if you were to select a ceramic resonator in the neighborhood of around 7.2 MHz or so.

Yes, it would require some relatively extensive modifications to the Cricket but it's doable and would allow you much more flexibility with the Cricket.  With a little creativity and effort, you will be greatly rewarded.   (Kit designers of 4State QRP kits- please consider making some future simple transmitters using VXOs and ceramic resonators. I think there would be enough interest that it would be worth the effort)

For info about VXOs with ceramic resonators, just use a search engine and put in "VXO using ceramic resonator" and you should find plenty of information.

73 de AK4JA

--
73 de AK4JA

Curt

Bobby

Those were the two xtal sources I was thinking of. I remember only using 2 xtals with my para80set, so 2 may be enough for a novel fun rig.

Been a while since I recalled ceramic vxo, yes if a stash of useful resonators could be found, even a stand alone vxo kit would be interesting. Many apps would do well with 20 some kHz of tuning.

Heard you with a nice skcc signal on 40m today but it was dinnertime.

73 curt wb8yyy

Jim Pruitt

On 2/7/2021 6:31 AM, Dave Burnett wrote:
Is anyone able to provide a source of additional crystals for the Cricket 40?  I'd like to have one for somewhere around 7060-7064 and maybe a few more.  I've looked on the WTL website but I must be missing something.

72,
-Dave
WD8KRV

OwlCricker - K7ULM

Thanks, great resource.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dick Wendell - K7ULM
406-781-1333

If you don't know Morse Code,
You don't know dit.

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 12:02 AM Jim Pruitt <jpruitt67@...> wrote:
Have you checked KC9ON's web page:
https://kc9on.com/product-category/crystals/

https://kc9on.com/product/7-8mhz-hc49u-tall-crystals/

This bunch has 7060 in its list:
https://kc9on.com/product/7-8mhz-hc49s-short-crystals/

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY

On 2/7/2021 6:31 AM, Dave Burnett wrote:
Is anyone able to provide a source of additional crystals for the Cricket 40?  I'd like to have one for somewhere around 7060-7064 and maybe a few more.  I've looked on the WTL website but I must be missing something.

72,
-Dave
WD8KRV

Wayne Steury

I like KC9ON.com for $1 crystals. The short ones work best for me

Wayne Steury N9EGT