Cricket 80A Questions


Bill Carpenter
 

I ended up with a Cricket 80A kit at Ozarkcon and got it built today.  It's putting out just under a watt and the RX seems to be working well too.  Couple of questions:

1.  The kit had two female (+) battery terminals instead of one each female and male.  I went ahead and installed the terminals and can get it to work by leaning the battery against the wrong terminal but would be nice to have the correct one.  I have emailed NM0S (that's who the manual said to contact) and 4sqrpcricket with no response yet - am I not contacting the right people?

2.  Does anyone hang out around the 3.579545 frequency of the color burst crystal that came with the kit?  Would be fun to have an actual QSO with it.

Enjoyed Ozarkcon a lot - thanks to all that worked hard to make it happen?

73, Bill NZ0T


Johnny AC0BQ
 

Hello Bill
You are contacting the right person.
Dave sells these kits.

I don’t know how busy 3.579 is any more, it used to be a Qrp watering hole.

3.560 to 3.564 might be better if you find some crystals for that frequency.
72
Johnny ACØBQ 

On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 4:45 PM Bill Carpenter <nz0tham@...> wrote:
I ended up with a Cricket 80A kit at Ozarkcon and got it built today.  It's putting out just under a watt and the RX seems to be working well too.  Couple of questions:

1.  The kit had two female (+) battery terminals instead of one each female and male.  I went ahead and installed the terminals and can get it to work by leaning the battery against the wrong terminal but would be nice to have the correct one.  I have emailed NM0S (that's who the manual said to contact) and 4sqrpcricket with no response yet - am I not contacting the right people?

2.  Does anyone hang out around the 3.579545 frequency of the color burst crystal that came with the kit?  Would be fun to have an actual QSO with it.

Enjoyed Ozarkcon a lot - thanks to all that worked hard to make it happen?

73, Bill NZ0T

--
Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com


Bill Carpenter
 

Hi Johnny,

Thanks, I'll try 3.579 and see how it goes as I don't have any crystals around here.

73, Bill NZ0T

On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 4:49 PM Johnny AC0BQ <jomatlock@...> wrote:
Hello Bill
You are contacting the right person.
Dave sells these kits.

I don’t know how busy 3.579 is any more, it used to be a Qrp watering hole.

3.560 to 3.564 might be better if you find some crystals for that frequency.
72
Johnny ACØBQ 

On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 4:45 PM Bill Carpenter <nz0tham@...> wrote:
I ended up with a Cricket 80A kit at Ozarkcon and got it built today.  It's putting out just under a watt and the RX seems to be working well too.  Couple of questions:

1.  The kit had two female (+) battery terminals instead of one each female and male.  I went ahead and installed the terminals and can get it to work by leaning the battery against the wrong terminal but would be nice to have the correct one.  I have emailed NM0S (that's who the manual said to contact) and 4sqrpcricket with no response yet - am I not contacting the right people?

2.  Does anyone hang out around the 3.579545 frequency of the color burst crystal that came with the kit?  Would be fun to have an actual QSO with it.

Enjoyed Ozarkcon a lot - thanks to all that worked hard to make it happen?

73, Bill NZ0T

--
Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com


Tom Sevart
 

On 4/13/2022 16:35, Bill Carpenter wrote:

2.  Does anyone hang out around the 3.579545 frequency of the color burst crystal that came with the kit?  Would be fun to have an actual QSO with it.
If you want to set up a sked, maybe we could have a Cricket-to-Cricket QSO. I've made a few QSO's on mine, and have picked up W1AW's bulletins on it.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus


Bill Carpenter
 

Hi Tom,
A sked sounds fun but not tonight, QRN from storms is horrible here!

73, Bill NZ0T

On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 7:41 PM Tom Sevart <tmsevart@...> wrote:
On 4/13/2022 16:35, Bill Carpenter wrote:

>
> 2.  Does anyone hang out around the 3.579545 frequency of the color
> burst crystal that came with the kit?  Would be fun to have an actual
> QSO with it.

If you want to set up a sked, maybe we could have a Cricket-to-Cricket
QSO.  I've made a few QSO's on mine, and have picked up W1AW's bulletins
on it.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus







ac9xh@juno.com <ac9xh@...>
 

Bill,
I bought a cricket 80 off ebay about 3 weeks ago. i havent put it together yet due to no solder. I have to go into town and buy some. trying to consolidate runs since gasolene prices are so hi.town is 15 miles away.
when i get it built, sometime this month, i will be on that frequency.

when i build qrp transmitters thats the favorite one for me. All i had in the past were scrapped out tvs and the crystals that were in them.
i run a homemade vertical tuned by a ldg100 tuner . So pick a day and or time  and i will try to have mine built and make a sked with you
73
David
AC9XH

gud thru hamcall and qrzcq.com and FCC


On Wednesday, April 13, 2022, 09:18:43 PM EDT, Bill Carpenter <nz0tham@...> wrote:


Hi Tom,
A sked sounds fun but not tonight, QRN from storms is horrible here!

73, Bill NZ0T

On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 7:41 PM Tom Sevart <tmsevart@...> wrote:
On 4/13/2022 16:35, Bill Carpenter wrote:

>
> 2.  Does anyone hang out around the 3.579545 frequency of the color
> burst crystal that came with the kit?  Would be fun to have an actual
> QSO with it.

If you want to set up a sked, maybe we could have a Cricket-to-Cricket
QSO.  I've made a few QSO's on mine, and have picked up W1AW's bulletins
on it.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus







ac9xh@juno.com <ac9xh@...>
 

Bill,
when you get other crystals, you can put a switch in the crystal circuit so you can go from one crystal to another. also maybe a small variable capacitor to pull the crystal alittle bit. Thats what im going to do with mine.Thinking even of buying one of those DDS vfos and add it in somehow and give whole band coverage for 80 meters.
Havent really looked at the circuit to see if its possible, but lots of other guys have been adding them to other qrp transcievers with success.

73
David
ac9xh
gud thru hamcall,qrzcq.com and FCC

On Wednesday, April 13, 2022, 09:40:05 PM EDT, david todd <ac9xh@...> wrote:


Bill,
I bought a cricket 80 off ebay about 3 weeks ago. i havent put it together yet due to no solder. I have to go into town and buy some. trying to consolidate runs since gasolene prices are so hi.town is 15 miles away.
when i get it built, sometime this month, i will be on that frequency.

when i build qrp transmitters thats the favorite one for me. All i had in the past were scrapped out tvs and the crystals that were in them.
i run a homemade vertical tuned by a ldg100 tuner . So pick a day and or time  and i will try to have mine built and make a sked with you
73
David
AC9XH

gud thru hamcall and qrzcq.com and FCC


On Wednesday, April 13, 2022, 09:18:43 PM EDT, Bill Carpenter <nz0tham@...> wrote:


Hi Tom,
A sked sounds fun but not tonight, QRN from storms is horrible here!

73, Bill NZ0T

On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 7:41 PM Tom Sevart <tmsevart@...> wrote:
On 4/13/2022 16:35, Bill Carpenter wrote:

>
> 2.  Does anyone hang out around the 3.579545 frequency of the color
> burst crystal that came with the kit?  Would be fun to have an actual
> QSO with it.

If you want to set up a sked, maybe we could have a Cricket-to-Cricket
QSO.  I've made a few QSO's on mine, and have picked up W1AW's bulletins
on it.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus







John - KK4ITX
 

4SQRP has a subgroup, Minimalist and that may be the best place to get folks interested in a QSO Party, worth a shot.  Since the Crickets are usually <1w they fit right in.

John
KK4ITX



Click Here for Zephyrhills Area Amateur Radio Club
Many of life's failures are people who
did not realize how close they were to
success when they gave up.
       Thomas A. Edison     


On Wednesday, April 13, 2022, 09:54:55 PM EDT, ac9xh@... via groups.io <ac9xh@...> wrote:


Bill,
when you get other crystals, you can put a switch in the crystal circuit so you can go from one crystal to another. also maybe a small variable capacitor to pull the crystal alittle bit. Thats what im going to do with mine.Thinking even of buying one of those DDS vfos and add it in somehow and give whole band coverage for 80 meters.
Havent really looked at the circuit to see if its possible, but lots of other guys have been adding them to other qrp transcievers with success.

73
David
ac9xh
gud thru hamcall,qrzcq.com and FCC

On Wednesday, April 13, 2022, 09:40:05 PM EDT, david todd <ac9xh@...> wrote:


Bill,
I bought a cricket 80 off ebay about 3 weeks ago. i havent put it together yet due to no solder. I have to go into town and buy some. trying to consolidate runs since gasolene prices are so hi.town is 15 miles away.
when i get it built, sometime this month, i will be on that frequency.

when i build qrp transmitters thats the favorite one for me. All i had in the past were scrapped out tvs and the crystals that were in them.
i run a homemade vertical tuned by a ldg100 tuner . So pick a day and or time  and i will try to have mine built and make a sked with you
73
David
AC9XH

gud thru hamcall and qrzcq.com and FCC


On Wednesday, April 13, 2022, 09:18:43 PM EDT, Bill Carpenter <nz0tham@...> wrote:


Hi Tom,
A sked sounds fun but not tonight, QRN from storms is horrible here!

73, Bill NZ0T

On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 7:41 PM Tom Sevart <tmsevart@...> wrote:
On 4/13/2022 16:35, Bill Carpenter wrote:

>
> 2.  Does anyone hang out around the 3.579545 frequency of the color
> burst crystal that came with the kit?  Would be fun to have an actual
> QSO with it.

If you want to set up a sked, maybe we could have a Cricket-to-Cricket
QSO.  I've made a few QSO's on mine, and have picked up W1AW's bulletins
on it.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus







--
John, KK4ITX       # 1603


Richard AG5M
 


Oh, I'm going to keep these messages on file, and get busy - finally - building my 80m Cricket. This I gotta try... Hi Hi.
73, Richard AG5M


On Wednesday, April 13, 2022, 06:50:13 PM PDT, ac9xh@... via groups.io <ac9xh@...> wrote:


Bill,
I bought a cricket 80 off ebay about 3 weeks ago. i havent put it together yet due to no solder. I have to go into town and buy some. trying to consolidate runs since gasolene prices are so hi.town is 15 miles away.
when i get it built, sometime this month, i will be on that frequency.

when i build qrp transmitters thats the favorite one for me. All i had in the past were scrapped out tvs and the crystals that were in them.
i run a homemade vertical tuned by a ldg100 tuner . So pick a day and or time  and i will try to have mine built and make a sked with you
73
David
AC9XH

gud thru hamcall and qrzcq.com and FCC


On Wednesday, April 13, 2022, 09:18:43 PM EDT, Bill Carpenter <nz0tham@...> wrote:


Hi Tom,
A sked sounds fun but not tonight, QRN from storms is horrible here!

73, Bill NZ0T

On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 7:41 PM Tom Sevart <tmsevart@...> wrote:
On 4/13/2022 16:35, Bill Carpenter wrote:

>
> 2.  Does anyone hang out around the 3.579545 frequency of the color
> burst crystal that came with the kit?  Would be fun to have an actual
> QSO with it.

If you want to set up a sked, maybe we could have a Cricket-to-Cricket
QSO.  I've made a few QSO's on mine, and have picked up W1AW's bulletins
on it.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus







Jim Pruitt
 

John and David,

There is also a 4SQRP Cricket sub group: CricketKit
subscribe by sending  a message to:

CricketKit+subscribe@4SQRP.groups.io

or go to:
 
https://4sqrp.groups.io/g/CricketKit

and select join.

Good luck.

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY

On 4/13/2022 7:15 PM, John - KK4ITX via groups.io wrote:
4SQRP has a subgroup, Minimalist and that may be the best place to get folks interested in a QSO Party, worth a shot.  Since the Crickets are usually <1w they fit right in.

John
KK4ITX



Curt
 

I made QSOs with the original 80 and later an 80A,  In fact, have more QSOs with them than with the 30M version.  My problem with 80M is I am usually on air during the day, so 80M doesn't work very well with my schedule.  I used color burst frequency when was active on 80M.  What I recall is the offset was low frequency, so had to "listen deep".  I would think that the 40M Cricket would be about ideal but don't own one.

Will surely check QRPspots for any planned activity by others.  I would be QRV around 2300z.

72 Curt KB5JO


Tom Sevart
 

On 4/13/2022 20:47, ac9xh@... via groups.io wrote:
Bill,
when you get other crystals, you can put a switch in the crystal circuit so you can go from one crystal to another. also maybe a small variable capacitor to pull the crystal alittle bit.
That's what I did with my Cricket 30. With my Cricket 80 (which I built first) I installed a jack made from part of an IC socket so I could easily change crystals.


--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus


Bill Carpenter
 

I ordered the Pixie switch kit and a pack of 4 80M crystals form 3rd Planet today.  Looks like an inexpensive and easy way to have 4 switchable crystals.  
--
73, Bill NZ0T


ac9xh@juno.com <ac9xh@...>
 

Tom ,

the socket idea is great
IC sockets are fun to use in other ways. I remember using an IC socket to mount some coils so i could switch bands with coil and capacitor.I used the 14 pin sockets for this.

always great to read that someone is going out of the box with common parts!!!!!.

hpe to see u on the bands,Tom.

73
David
ac9xh

On Thursday, April 14, 2022, 08:13:53 PM EDT, Bill Carpenter <nz0tham@...> wrote:


I ordered the Pixie switch kit and a pack of 4 80M crystals form 3rd Planet today.  Looks like an inexpensive and easy way to have 4 switchable crystals.  
--
73, Bill NZ0T


Tom Sevart
 

On 4/14/2022 19:13, Bill Carpenter wrote:
I ordered the Pixie switch kit and a pack of 4 80M crystals form 3rd Planet today.  Looks like an inexpensive and easy way to have 4 switchable crystals.
I just used a rotary switch, but the Pixie switch kit is probably a little more elegant.


--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus


Tom Sevart
 

On 4/15/2022 15:43, ac9xh@... via groups.io wrote:
Tom ,
the socket idea is great
IC sockets are fun to use in other ways. I remember using an IC socket to mount some coils so i could switch bands with coil and capacitor.I used the 14 pin sockets for this.
always great to read that someone is going out of the box with common parts!!!!!.
hpe to see u on the bands,Tom.

Yes, you only need a three pin section of any IC socket. Simple to cut them with a pair of diagonal cutters, then remove the center pin, then solder it in place of where the crystal goes.

I have to admit, though, that using a rotary switch is a much more convenient solution.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus


ac9xh@juno.com <ac9xh@...>
 

Tom,

 thats kinda like what i did.I used a 14 pin ic socket and installed several coil and cap for each band i was working and switched them with toggle switches fed with mini coax.
was soldered onto a proto board.
i made up several of these and was able to make a 5 band qrp transmitter with it.took the ic socket idea further and made small circuits like mixer,if amp,rf preamp,audio amp,det,etc. made a whole direct conversion transceiver with them with some interconnecting wire ,pots,,etc. I used varactor diodes for tuning since i had the 10 turn pots and other variables on hand instead of using a bulky air variable.

73
David
ac9xh

On Friday, April 15, 2022, 07:17:09 PM EDT, Tom Sevart <tmsevart@...> wrote:


On 4/15/2022 15:43, ac9xh@... via groups.io wrote:
> Tom ,
>
> the socket idea is great
> IC sockets are fun to use in other ways. I remember using an IC socket
> to mount some coils so i could switch bands with coil and capacitor.I
> used the 14 pin sockets for this.
>
> always great to read that someone is going out of the box with common
> parts!!!!!.
>
> hpe to see u on the bands,Tom.
>


Yes, you only need a three pin section of any IC socket.  Simple to cut
them with a pair of diagonal cutters, then remove the center pin, then
solder it in place of where the crystal goes.

I have to admit, though, that using a rotary switch is a much more
convenient solution.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.







ac9xh@juno.com <ac9xh@...>
 

What i love about this site?
you find out good things and other sources. Never heard of 3rd Planet . looked them up and impressed with their website.the switching board is really really priced great.
probably will have to make a list and order a couple along with some other stuff.

73
David
ac9xh