Cycle 25

W6BOW

Band conditions they are a'changin' me thinks.

I frequently monitor 20M CW from a picnic bench in SF's Golden Gate Park. (Away from the "rotten QRN" at the home QTH.)

Just in the last few weeks I've copied with ease CW stations in Taiwan, China, Singapore, Japan (the Olympics' club station), Malaysia, and Indiana, USA  (the Indy 500 club station).

All stations heard on my little TECSUN PL-330 with its built-in telescoping antenna only.

(This is NOT a plug for the PL-330. That said the dang little thing has proven itself to be a serious radio. No toy. I plan to use it in future QRP peregrinations.))

W6BOW - In the remotest wilderness of Golden Gate Park, SF

The best is yet to come.

73

Don

Curt

On Sun, Jul 4, 2021 at 05:46 PM, W6BOW wrote:
"picnic bench in SF's Golden Gate Park"
You are way braver than me.  I grew up about 40 miles east of there, ( first call WN6HJZ ) and that park was a zoo 50+ years ago.  Full of druggies and everything else person could imagine.  My future wife n I used to go to Filmore Auditorium and Avalon Ballroom some evenings to listen to Jefferson Airplane or Quicksilver.  They called us "short hairs" and we were the only ones there not stoned.

Those were the days my friend...

73, Curt KB5JO

Jerry Brown

Don,

30 years ago my wife (N6DXW) and I lived at 1411A Washington Blvd on the
southwest bluff of  the Presidio of San Francisco while I had duty at
Letterman Army Med Center. My antenna ws a 3-L Cushcraft trap Yagi on a short tower. With a view of Sea Cliffs neighborhood and the Pacific, it was quite the DX site. I can remember working the entire Pacific rim at dusk from Alaska, Japan, Australia and Easter Island at dusk with all signals over S-9 one memorable evening.

73,

Jerry N4EO, ex-YI9EO, ex-HL9EO, etc, etc, etc

On Sun, Jul 4, 2021 at 7:47 PM W6BOW via groups.io <DBuckter=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Band conditions they are a'changin' me thinks.

W6BOW

Curt,

Some things change for the better.  I live a block and a half from GG Park but never got to know and appreciate it until I started walking with a purpose after hip surgery last year. Now I try to cover at least 5 miles every day.

This link will take you to some pics I've snapped along the way.
Enjoy.
.
Our family will be road tripping from NJ to CA in August. I'm hoping to join in the Wednesday net a couple of times running my NS-40.
GG Park has given me a good place to work on my set up for the trip. The QRN level at the home QTH is horrendous due to all the RF due to our increasingly wired and wireless civilization!

Curt, you 4SQRP guys and gals do a great job. TU. Attending Ozarcon rates high on my bucket list.

73,

W6BOW
Don