Cycle 25 and QRP experiences so far?


Curt
 

Cycle 25 is evidently underway, but for me so far the results have been pretty mediocre.  Using a variety of radios ( BJ40, 5W-30, HT-20, K1 ) on 20,30,40 using wire antennas,  have yet to get beyond the US.  During minimum in Fall of 2019, had no difficulty working Asia and Europe with QRP.  The bands seem poor compared to my experiences during Cycle 24.  I realize we are just entering Cycle 25.

What are other experiences so far running QRP? 

72, Curt KB5JO


Tim N9PUZ
 

Well, Cycle 25 or not, it seems like the days where there has been an increased SFI it has been accompanied by higher A and K indices so the end result has not been improved too much.

It's still a lot of fun. I enjoy working someone a hundred miles away as I do contacting the other side of the country.

Tim N9PUZ

On 7/4/2021 3:20 PM, Curt via groups.io wrote:
Cycle 25 is evidently underway, but for me so far the results have been pretty mediocre.  Using a variety of radios ( BJ40, 5W-30, HT-20, K1 ) on 20,30,40 using wire antennas,  have yet to get beyond the US.  During minimum in Fall of 2019, had no difficulty working Asia and Europe with QRP.  The bands seem poor compared to my experiences during Cycle 24.  I realize we are just entering Cycle 25.

What are other experiences so far running QRP?

72, Curt KB5JO


John - KK4ITX
 

In January I made just under 5,000 miles to France from Zhills, FL.  I have found that there were fewer operators on because “the bands are dead” or they has gone to FT8 but it is very rare for me to go out and not make a few QSOs...... sometimes even using SB from the beach to check into the Maritime Net, Maine to Texas or Thunder Bay on 5w.

My opinion is that the bands are so free from use that they become quiet and even if the meter doesn’t deflect, communication can be accomplished, but only if you try..... and someone else is listening.  If it wasn’t for the RBN and WSPR some days I would think my equipment was not functioning at all.

I get just as much enjoyment out of a 10 mile contract as I do from 2,000 miles.

John
KK4ITX 

Visit:  www.zaarc.org.   👁

On Jul 4, 2021, at 18:16, Tim N9PUZ <tim.n9puz@...> wrote:

Well, Cycle 25 or not, it seems like the days where there has been an increased SFI it has been accompanied by higher A and K indices so the end result has not been improved too much.

It's still a lot of fun. I enjoy working someone a hundred miles away as I do contacting the other side of the country.

Tim N9PUZ

On 7/4/2021 3:20 PM, Curt via groups.io wrote:
Cycle 25 is evidently underway, but for me so far the results have been pretty mediocre.  Using a variety of radios ( BJ40, 5W-30, HT-20, K1 ) on 20,30,40 using wire antennas,  have yet to get beyond the US.  During minimum in Fall of 2019, had no difficulty working Asia and Europe with QRP.  The bands seem poor compared to my experiences during Cycle 24.  I realize we are just entering Cycle 25.

What are other experiences so far running QRP?

72, Curt KB5JO







Curt
 

I think possibly some is fewer big stations, with big antennas, are doing CW with the rise of ft8 ft4. Sometimes I operate successfully events at qrp, lots of cw activity there. I did operate my ft817 with an antenna in attic at my son's house, made some nice contacts from there. Well see what fall brings. Maybe build a qrp labs 25/50 watt PA it's something different.

73 Curt wb8yyy


W6BOW
 

Curt,

I note that the SF Radio Club (W6PW) conducts a weekly CW net on 2M. 

Any chance the 4SQRP might consider developing in future a 2M QRP CW TX?

W6BOW


-----Original Message-----
From: Curt via groups.io <wb8yyy@...>
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Sent: Sun, Jul 4, 2021 5:47 pm
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] Cycle 25 and QRP experiences so far?

I think possibly some is fewer big stations, with big antennas, are doing CW with the rise of ft8 ft4. Sometimes I operate successfully events at qrp, lots of cw activity there. I did operate my ft817 with an antenna in attic at my son's house, made some nice contacts from there. Well see what fall brings. Maybe build a qrp labs 25/50 watt PA it's something different.

73 Curt wb8yyy


Curt
 

On Sun, Jul 4, 2021 at 04:21 PM, John - KK4ITX wrote:
If it wasn’t for the RBN and WSPR some days I would think my equipment was not functioning at all.
Well, that is my observation too.  And yes the FT8 n FT4, etc has activity when no CW heard here.  In fact, I kinda use the FT8 segment to see if a band is active or not.  I must confess, don't get much of a charge from a 10 mile QSO.

Curt KB5JO