Johnny AC0BQ

Gm group
Is a mbr1100 a good sub for a 1n5711?
I was short one in my pig rig!
They look good to me?
Thanks
Johnny AC0BQ

John DeJournett

First, if you really want an authoratative answer, best to ask Diz.  As he designed the kit, he could advise you about being able to substitute the part.

My own view is that most of the 1n5711's in the pig rig are used as clamping diodes.  As such, their forward voltage is a critical parameter.  The spec sheets show the 1n5711 to have a considerably lower Vf than the MBR1100.  This being the case, I would be cautious where I swapped.  It looks like D8 might be ok to substitute, but it may also limit the AGC performance.

Just my uneducated opinion, and worth everything you paid for it.

John, KD0JXN

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Johnny Matlock <jomatlock@...> wrote:

Gm group

Is a mbr1100 a good sub for a 1n5711?
I was short one in my pig rig!
They look good to me?
Thanks

Ge guys here is the reply I received from Diz later today.
"The MBR1100 is NOT a sub for the 1N5711"
I guess that about says it all!
Thanks 72
Johnny AC0BQ

On Wednesday, March 6, 2013, Johnny Matlock wrote:
Gm group
Is a mbr1100 a good sub for a 1n5711?
I was short one in my pig rig!
They look good to me?
Thanks
Johnny AC0BQ

John Lonigro

I suspect that if you ask Diz, he'll send you the missing part and you won't have to worry about valid substitutions.  It might take a couple of days for the mail, but you might as well build it right.

John AA0VE

On 03/06/2013 10:05 PM, Johnny Matlock wrote:

Ge guys here is the reply I received from Diz later today.

"The MBR1100 is NOT a sub for the 1N5711"
I guess that about says it all!
Thanks 72
Johnny AC0BQ

On Wednesday, March 6, 2013, Johnny Matlock wrote:
Gm group
Is a mbr1100 a good sub for a 1n5711?
I was short one in my pig rig!
They look good to me?
Thanks
Johnny AC0BQ

Rick Bennett

I am guessing the issue is the capacitance.  The MBR1100 is about 60 pF at 10 volts reverse where the 1N5711 is only about 0.8 pF at 10 volts reverse.  I know the 1N5711 is good for RF detector circuits in lieu of a germanium diode.

de KC0PET, Rick