EFHW Transformer Experimentation Board Kit Case

Jim Sheldon

OK, gang, a progress report on the 3D printed case/cover for the EFHW board kit from 4SQRP. It is taking a bit longer in the design process than I originally thought due to the desire to make it as weather resistant as possible. This, because, even though it's being sold as an experimentation board, many people will take it as an antenna kit for QRP SOTA, POTA and general portable operation. In order to facilitate this, the weather resistant case is something that will be needed and it needs to be strong enough to allow for extended outdoor operation as well for those apartment dwellers and HOA challenged people that might want to use it as a permanent antenna.

I have it started and owing to the need to print some of the parts in order to take accurate measurements, it's taking a bit longer as (even with low values of "infill" for the test files, it takes a fairly long time to print each iteration.

Hang in there, and I WILL have something available for those with 3D printers to play with, hopefully before the week is out.

Jim, W0EB
4SQRP# 44

Johnny AC0BQ

Thanks Jim
I’m looking forward to trying it.
72
Johnny ACØBQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Fr Richard WB8YXF

Thanks Jim

Fr Richard
WB8YXF

Glory to God

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Jim Sheldon

All right!  I believe I have a viable, weather resistant, 3D printable case for the EFHW Experimenation Board.  Spent most of the day working on it and I have one printed and assembled (see the attached pictures).

I'll post all the printable files as well as the Fusion360 and FreeCAD design files on thingiverse sometime soon for those who would like to be able to customize or modify these for their own use.  The design is not copyrighted, but I do ask that you not make these and sell them commercially unless you cut me in on the proceeds - only fair, I think.

I printed this using the FilaCube brand HT-PLA+ filament so that it would be strong enough to withstand tension when hung up, made the hanger hole large enough to alow for at least 1/4" rope.

I suggest once you have the antenna matching unit installed in the cover that you seal the holes and the back of the case with silicone or some decent sealer to make it more weather resistant and that you leave the area around the connector unsealed to allow any condensate moisture to be able to drain out.

Jim, W0EB
4SQRP# 44

Johnny AC0BQ

Thanks Jim
It looks great.
72
Johnny ACØBQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Jim Sheldon

Forgot to mention that I have not assembled this yet except for the BNC connector - note to Johnny, AC0BQ, you will need to start shipping the mounting nut with the BNC connector as it will be needed to help lock the transformer assembly down in the case.

I didn't assemble it before making the case so that I could take pictures easier and show more detail.

Jim - W0EB

[...]

Ok Jim
Got it.
I have another run on order.
I will ad that to my BOM.
72
Johnny ACØBQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

N0KNS

Fr Richard, may you please send connect to, JPHurd@...
n0kns

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

--
N0KNS

Wayne Dillon

Jim,
If you're doing it it'll be excellent and worth the wait!
Be blessed my friend,
Wayne - NQ0RP

--

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER.

God Bless from Wayne Dillon - NQ0RP

Fate whispered to courageous "You cannot withstand the storm"
Courageous  whispered back "I am the storm"

Jim Sheldon

Thanks Wayne, it's ready for (maybe) prime time.  I'm now going to print it in another color with cheap PLA and will hang it outside in the Kansas record heat to see how it holds up.

Jim - W0EB