other.

72
Stay Well

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

AndyH

I can't speak to ARDOP but I routinely use Winlink/Winmor with my really bent and droopy 40/20 attic dipole, a µBITX, and sometimes help from a WA2EBY PA.

The mode was invaluable for emergency response in situations like hurricane relief in the Caribbean - we need more ops that know how to use this tech!

72/73, Andy, KG5RKP

Tim N9PUZ

On 3/18/2020 9:37 PM, Johnny Matlock wrote:
Ge group
This video on QRZ might be of interest to you all.
If our internet goes down, this could
Help keep us in contact with each
other.

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/e-mail-over-hf-with-ardop-winlink.696855/

72
Stay Well
Johnny AC0BQ
Illinois ARES and the State RACES station routinely practices using HF Winlink and ARDOP. It is fairly robust.

The good thing about using Winlink for email as opposed to one of the peer-to-peer digital, voice, or CW modes is that the stations do not have to be all on the air at the same time to communicate. It is possible for a person or group to normally monitor a phone net and periodically leave the net for a short time to check for email. This reduces the number of radios and antennas they have to have available.

Winlink of course still depends on the Internet. However, since an HF station will probably be connecting to a gateway hundreds or thousands of miles away, it can provide email in the event of a local, state wide, or regional outage.

Tim N9PUZ

AndyH

Winlink *can* depend on the internet, but it also includes a peer to peer mode that does not require gateways or internet access.  In that mode, it's pretty similar to a traffic net - operators bounce the mail around, and then take care of the "last mile".

73, Andy, KG5RKP

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 07:48 AM, Tim N9PUZ wrote:
Winlink of course still depends on the Internet. However, since an HF
station will probably be connecting to a gateway hundreds or thousands
of miles away, it can provide email in the event of a local, state wide,
or regional outage.

Tim N9PUZ

Tom Sevart

On 3/18/2020 21:37, Johnny Matlock wrote:
Ge group
This video on QRZ might be of interest to you all.
If our internet goes down, this could
Help keep us in contact with each
other.
https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/e-mail-over-hf-with-ardop-winlink.696855/
I'm so glad that if the internet goes down completely, those Nigerian princes will still be able to send me email!

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Dale Putnam

IF the internet goes down... I can and WILL use my key...
my paddle.. and SK...   and a radio.

Have a great day,

Dale - WC7S in Wy

"Actions speak louder than words"