Event: Wednesday Evening 40 and 80 meter Nets - 04/06/2022 #cal-reminder

main@4SQRP.groups.io Calendar <noreply@...>

Reminder: Wednesday Evening 40 and 80 meter Nets

When:
04/06/2022
20:00 to 21:00
(UTC-05:00) America/Chicago

Where:
40 and 80 Meters

Organizer: jomatlock@...

View Event

The 40 Meter Net will be at 8:00 pm central time  on 7.122 +-. QRM
NCS is WQ5RP/ACØBQ

Wednesday evening 80 Meter CW Net. will be at  (8:30PM Central Time Wednesday (DST).

The 80 meter net will be called on 3.564 MHz +/- QRM.
Net control operator is Johnny ACØBQ

* NEW *  Wednesday evening DMR Voice Net will be at (Thursday) 02:00 UTC (9:00PM Central Time Wednesday/)
Four States QRP has a Brandmeister DMR Talk Group (TG31654). Join us to discuss QRP, ask questions, or just ragchew. The Wednesday net is a directed net  but any other time you may use the Talk Group to chat with other QRPers.
Net Control operator is Bert NØYJ.

[...]

Johnny AC0BQ

Good evening:
I will be en route to Branson tomorrow so please listen for Bert N0YJ.

If you are traveling to Branson in the next few days, please travel safe.

Cu you at Ozarkcon
72
Johnny ACØBQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

[...]

Ted

On Mon, Apr 4, 2022 at 09:00 PM, "main@4SQRP.groups.io Calendar" <noreply@groups.io> wrote:

When:
04/06/2022
20:00 to 21:00
(UTC-05:00) America/Chicago

The 40 Meter Net will be at 8:00 pm central time  on 7.122 +-. QRM

Pardon my confusion, though, is the net at 15:00 CDT/20:00 UTC or at 20:00 CDT/01:00 UTC?

72,

Ted
K3RTA

n4mj

Hi Ted,
Haven't seen any response(s) to your email so.....not sure what prompted the confusion about the 4S QRP net but here's what I know:

net meets on 40m at 0100Z on 7.122 Mhz
net meets on 80m at 0130Z on 3.564 Mhz

I suspect the use of 24 hour time/clock may be the culprit for the confusion.

73 de n4mj//glenn

  Thank you!

On Wednesday, April 6, 2022, 07:05:42 PM CDT, Ted via groups.io <k3rta@...> wrote:

On Mon, Apr 4, 2022 at 09:00 PM, "main@4SQRP.groups.io Calendar" <noreply@groups.io> wrote:

When:
04/06/2022
20:00 to 21:00
(UTC-05:00) America/Chicago

The 40 Meter Net will be at 8:00 pm central time  on 7.122 +-. QRM

Pardon my confusion, though, is the net at 15:00 CDT/20:00 UTC or at 20:00 CDT/01:00 UTC?

72,

Ted
K3RTA

Dan Presley

I was equally confused by this. I’d humbly suggest that for those of us in different time zones (I’m PDT) that instead of’UTC-5:00 Chicago’ just put the actual UTC time. With daylight time out west odds are that I wouldn’t hear you guys anyway either on 40 or 80 at 0100/0130 UTC as that’s 6, local and sunset isn’t until about 8 local.  20M stays open here until about 8:30-9 local time.

Dan Presley 503-701-3871
danpresley@me. com
N7CQR@...

On Apr 6, 2022, at 19:55, n4mj via groups.io <n4mj@...> wrote:

[...]

John - KK4ITX

Hey all,

The reference to UTC -0500 is generated by the Groups.io reminder calendar and cannot be removed by 4S (or any other group). The Groups email reflector is used worldwide and reference to UTC is mostly for their use. I shall communicate with them and see if the reference to UTC can be moved to a less prominent place.

It is confusing, but remember that 4S started as a “local club” so the time has remained local.

Generally, the entire Ham community causes confusion by the dual use of UTC and Local times and further more with DST across many Time Zones.  With the UTC day change at at different times of the year due to local  DST, only complicates the issue.

As a PIO I try to use only one time in my announcements and also try to make specific information larger and bolder.

For my own use I create my own reminders in my calendars, figuring it all out once and setting it up forever.

One group that I belong to used a reference to a specific number “local” day of the month like the 3rd Monday but then in parentheses “that’s Tuesday at 0100 UTC……. works for most of the year but not every month.

To belabor the issue another club has an event on the First Wednesday of the month and another on the following Thursday. I have not but able that make an automatic reminder for that because sometimes the First Wednesday is after the First Thursday.

MORE COFFEE !!!

72,

John
KK4ITX
EST/DEST/UTC -4 or -5

🙃Each mistake is a learning opportunity.🙂

On Apr 7, 2022, at 1:54 AM, Dan Presley <N7CQR@...> wrote:

[...]

John, KK4ITX       # 1603

Mlike McEwen

This may make me “hard core” but I prefer UTC on all the internet radio traffic I get.  I realize that my experience is not typical but many years of military/Intelligence experience warped my brain!?! Using UTC greatly simplifies record keeping for me.  But, I am probably in a minority.  I also prefer using the metric system…another aberration but it is so much simpler one you get used to it…experience in Europe on several assignments converted me.

Thanks for paying attention to this old goat.  73, K5OSA Doc (LTC, Ret, US Army)

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

“PLEASE REMOVE all email addresses before you send it on and use BCC option when forwarding"